“Great food, atmosphere, and location”
Review of Packer Lake Lodge

Packer Lake Lodge
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This is a great, old- fashion fishing lodge. The vintage 1921 log cabin makes a great little restaurant. The atmosphere is casual but the dining is fine. We ordered the salmon, which was superb, and the ribs, which were pretty good. The Caesar salad is amazing, and the mudpie was really delicious. Yum.

2  Thank Kristin H

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I have eaten at this facility several times in the past with the former owners. In the past the price was about double what you would pay in the city and the portions were quite austere but you could almost get enough to satisfy your appetite in a hiking and camping area.

The new owner assumes he can fill in for one of the waiters/waitresses but instead he has no competence in this area whatsoever. You have to work very hard to get his attention. He fails to routinely refill your water glass in this high-altitude facility. You would think it cost him $10.00 per glass as he only fills it 2/3rds the way full and then you have to hound him again for another refill.

I planned to eat the only item on the menu that appeared minimally acceptable, and then the special was announced as a "New York Steak Dinner that included a free bowl of soup". Unfortunately I chose the special and surprisingly the bowl of soup was the tiniest bowl I had ever seen--about the right size for a two-year old. It was bizarre that a "bowl of soup" would only be about 4 ounces! This was a high-priced dinner and worse yet the steak was half gristle and fat. It was greasy and the only edible part was so tough I had to cut each piece with serated lines on both sides 90 degrees apart to make it edible. This was the worst steak I ever had in my life with the exception of a "chuck steak" someone provided at a former camping trip that required similar serations to make it marginally edible.

I do not plan to eat at this place ever again. And I might add that the accompanying bread is not a reasonable sized loaf for those at the table. It is now a micro loaf that you would think cost them $20 to make. They were so cheap that despite repeated efforts to get the disfunctional servers/owner to bring some bread, they failed to meet the needs of the 7 people eating at our table. They twice brought another microscopic loaf of bread and started it at the opposite end of the table--thus it was gone each time before it made it to me. I was staving and famished upon returning to camp and had to eat a variety of snacks, etc, to make up for the pathetic meal served at this facility.

In pondering what I would feel a meal is worth there, I thought that even if it was $5.00 it wouldn't be worth it because the service was so lousy and the steak was a low-grade commercial cut maybe fit for a state prison camp. Maybe I would eat a meal first in the future and them just buy a $10.00 cup of coffee (core price plus tax and tip) and join friends there if any of them would want to ever eat at this place again.

If you are on a severe diet and trying to lose weight fast--this is the place to eat! But never buy a steak there unless you like a very tough and greasy steak!

The price isn't the issue--the service

3  Thank Brian H
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Spagetti nite and Bingo on Wednesdays. Often sold out so call ahead, or make areservation and spend the week. On Paker Lake, fish and hike. This at the base of the Sierra Buttes. Fun and a little quirky.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

The fresh fish here is excellent, they even cook your catch! Salads and BBQ ribs also great. Wine list very good for such a small operation.

1  Thank manuel95
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This is a charming and rustic restaurant set on a beautiful lake a couple of miles off of Lakes Basin Road. We got the impression that most diners were lodge guests staying in the various cabins on the property, but we didn't have any problem getting a table early in the evening. You can enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine on the front porch of the restaurant overlooking Packer Lake. The dining room itself is cozy, with only a smattering of tables, each candlelit. The food was solidly good; we both had the ribs and a salad. We skipped dessert, but as we had our fly rods in the car, we fished on Packer Lake until it got dark. That was a sweet ending.