“Clean and Cozy”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sierra City
Herrington's Sierra Pines Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sierra City
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was the second time that we have been here and it was as good as we remembered. The rooms are pretty basic but very clean. Every room has a private deck as far as I can see. Some overlook the river.Very reasonably priced. It is very nice to have the restaurant and bar. The food was good comfort food.Steaks,Prime Rib etc. The Trout is from the pond in front and the nights that we were there they were huge! The second night the baked potato was not hot enough to melt the butter but the friendly staff make up for everything. The table next to us could not finish their trout so they offered to hold it for them and reheat it for them if they wanted! I cannot say enough about the staff. They make you feel like family. Bring your own hair dryer. I didn't know that and the office doesn't open until 10am. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 are right by the restaurant. I believe that they are the least expensive but nice. The...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank winetoots

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was always a favorite stop twenty years ago when my family would camp along the Yuba River and visit Downieville. It is such a pretty drive and I was happy to see that Herrington's hadn't changed much at all. There is still the beautiful green lawn with the spectacular view of the buttes and the stocked trout pond with fish food dispenser. We stayed at the resort for two nights, yes the place is old but I call that charming; it was clean, comfortable and we had a great view of the river. Our dinner that night at Herrington's was five-star, was one of the best meals I have had all year. Herrington's is the perfect location for day trips to Downieville, Gold Lake and Lower Sardine. Great kayaking and cocktails later that evening at Sardine Lake.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna H
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We visited Herrington's again (have been there multiple times) in July for a couple of days - Sunday and Monday nights. We reserved two other rooms for friends with one of them having a birthday celebration who suggested this place again. Still a nice quiet place. Dinner was nice and service was good. They did some changes from the last time we spent there, as no breakfast is served. Although no breakfast, we found a very nice place down the street, within walking distance, and had a great breakfast with a fantastic bloody mary.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in the back, as you can open the glass slider and hear the water fall all night l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank RMPCW
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We decided to take a road trip with our dog (a German shepherd) - we live in the Sacramento area so didn't want to have to go a long way with her in the car. I had driven the "49" years ago and remembered how beautiful the drive along the North Yuba river was into the Tahoe National forest. We checked trip advisor (of course) looking for a dog friendly property and a place that had some sort of kitchen with it. Herrington's fit the bill. Reasonable prices especially if you mention their internet ad. We were given room 22 that faces Hwy 49.. I thought it might be noisy, but there is not much traffic on the road, and the bedroom is in the back. The room faces the meadow across the Hwy and the Sierra Buttes. A gorgeous peaceful setting. The rooms are dated, but clean. The kitchen had everything we needed to cook with. A full size frig and stove with oven, coffee pot, toaster, and microwave.Plenty of pots and pans, dishes, and utensils. They provide paper towels, dish towels, dish soap and a sponge along with bathroom toiletries. Glad I brought baggies, foil, napkins, some spices, etc. The store is about a mile or so up the road and has any basics you need to get by. We stayed Tuesday thru Friday, and the on site restaurant was closed on Wed. and Thursday, so we missed out on eating there. We put the maid sign on the door daily and had the bed made up, fresh towels in the bathroom and kitchen along with the garbage emptied daily.
The walk down to the river, like others have said is not that far, but it is rocky and steep in places. The large meadow is where you need to Bar-B-Que, but walking across the Hwy did not appeal to me to do so. We did see a bear coming down close to the meadow also- it came down for the blackberries - glad I picked a bag full before I saw him.
My dog did love the meadow- it is huge- the size of a football field or so. One thing about it though was that it was being watered 24/7. The sprinklers never turned off, so areas were limited.
It is a short drive to some of the many lakes in the area which we took advantage of having a picnic and trying our luck at fishing. The Tahoe National forest is beautiful whether you are driving or just sitting in one of the many camp ground areas scattered throughout.
We had no cell phone service, and no wifi, so it was nice not to have to do anything but enjoy the sounds and sites.
All in all, very peaceful and beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nmbell
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My husband and I happened across this place via trip advisor and needless to say this was a trip well spent. If you don't expect much from a hotel besides a clean room and good dinners then this is the place to be, if you expect room service.... You don't belong in the mountains. This place was the definition of quaint and simple. About a half mile up road was the actual town of Sierra city where you will find about 5 buildings, which 3 of them were food. The actual resort doesn't do breakfast or lunch BUT has amazing dinners!!!!!!! it's a tad pricy for the food (averaging $23) a plate, but trust me when I say....money well spent. We stayed in the king bed river room and the walk to the river was steep but worth it. Not very many spots to actually swim but if your in the mood to just lounge and drink by the river, this is the place to do it. All in all this place was a perfect getaway from the busy city life. My husband and I will be coming back to this perfect gem. For the smokers however, the rooms and balconies are non smoking. Love this place and can't wait to come back

Room Tip: Get the river rooms. Great view of the waterfall
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda476
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed here on a motorcycle trip in June for 2 nights. Our room had a king size bed and that along with a large dresser & a desk & 2 night stands, there was little room to move around. The closet space was small. The resort rooms need updating, particularly the bathroom, which is small. It was fairly clean although I did find a cobweb attached to the bathroom vanity so whoever cleans needs to do more than just look down when they are vacuming. What made this room worthwhile was the view & solitude from the deck which overlooked the woods & the river. It was nice to leave the slider door on the deck open a bit at night & listen to the sound of the river. There was no mini-fridge or microwave in the room. The town of Sierra City is only about 3/4 mile away but there is no shoulder along the road so it is too dangerous to walk along the roadway to get to town for food. There were a few restaurants there, not too much else. It is a very pretty area, nice motorcycle riding. The resort has a restaurant attached to it, which was a primary reason we picked this place; however when we booked, we were NOT told the 2 days we would be there that the restaurant was closed, we found that out when we got there to check in; they are closed on Wed & Thurs. If we had known that we might have picked other lodging.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tandjinwa
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Can't go wrong with this little family run gem in the mountains along the Yuba River. From making the reservations until check out, we practically felt like family. Location is perfect for peaceful solitude. The view from our deck overlooked the river and a waterfall. The room was adequate and a bit outdated, but that's what we expected. Very cabinlike. No refrigerator or blow dryer which was okay, but I wish the mattress was firmer. We traveled the end of June and had no problems with bugs. Don't think there was a phone, no cell service, there was a TV and a stand-up fan, which was a welcome relief since we were there during a severe heat wave. They also have a game room with pool and ping-pong tables. Spent a day in the Lakes Basin area visiting the various glacial lakes - all breathtakingly beautiful - and hiked up nearly to the top of the Sierra Buttes passing only a few other hikers. Found comfort in listening to the river run, especially at night, and don't pass up the opportunity to eat in their dining room. Chef Steve creates culinary masterpieces. His Spinach Salad is exceptional and try the Mulligatawny Soup if available. Don't let the curry scare you. I don't like curry, but our server convinced me to try it and it was delicious, yet rich. The small cupful was the perfect serving. We loved our first meal so much we came back again the next night. If ever in the area, we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Some river view rooms down a very steep pathway. Might be difficult for some, but the river view is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Sierra City
Nakoma Resort
Nakoma Resort
#2 of 2 in Clio

Been to Herrington's Sierra Pines Resort? Share your experiences!