All reviews meditation pool communal kitchen hot water lodge pools plunges california hip
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I've been going to Sierra Hot Springs for years and still love the relaxed atmosphere, environment and especially the warm pool and the medicine pools. However, over the years, the lodge, outbuildings and grounds continue to degrade. The lodge bedrooms have been repainted but it still has a long way to go before one would actually call it a "resort". If you are ok with old and funky, this is the place to go. Beware though, it has it's quirks (the bedtooms do share the 2 bathrooms and one of the bathrooms has EITHER hot OR cold water). I would also suggest taking your own window fan in the summer as the rooms get really hot. (we asked for a fan but didn't get it) Read the other reviews for additional quirks but over all, it's an experience to enjoy and the pools far out-weigh any inconveniences one might have. Try it...you might like it.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank mtnrose
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is a great place. I like the rustic atmosphere of the old hotel and the front porch. The dome pool is nice and hot, meditation and warm pools are very therapeutic. Great view of the high valley. This is the only place I can drive to from Sacramento (about 2 easy hours) and really, really get so relaxed I can fall asleep under the trees and feel like I'm floating on clouds after soaking in the pools for a couple of hours. It is a diamond in the rough, somewhere that reminds me of another time far far away from the noises of the busy stressful world... and the price is very reasonable. Not recommended for those need to talk incessantly or shop.

Room tip: Trailer camping available. Quiet time enforced after 10 PM
Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Ontheroadagain2050
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My girlfriend and I were looking for a day trip idea out of Reno, NV and decided to try these hot springs we heard about up in the Sierras. It only took an hour or so to get there and the drive was very pretty. Once there I wasn't sure what to expect. We had heard that the hot springs were clothing optional. I figured no big deal if there are some naked people around. It turned out to be pretty much all naked people and it actually felt uncomfortable to wear clothes. The whole nudity thing is a take it or leave it scenario for me, but if you a looking for a place to get in touch with nature, this might be it. They have rooms available but we were just here for a day trip. Overall it made for an interesting day.

Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank CraigNV
Reviewed 26 September 2011

By comparison to other private hot springs in Northen California, this is probably the dingiest and most forlorn. It does the least to leave you feeling clean, healthy, relaxed and energized. Everything looks a little unkempt and under-maintained. A good hippie vibe at a resort means thoroughly laid back and pleasantly eccentric, but not dingy, weird and even a little eerie. I get a much better, happier vibe from other California hot spring resorts and the hippie-centric communities along the California coast.

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank lexnevcity
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This is a cozy, nice, friendly little hotel, hostel, campground, in a beautiful environment, I slept in my car.

Room tip: I slept in my car, what I saw, is that things are clean and in order
Date of stay: May 2011