“Loved the stay!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Simi Valley
Akureyri
“Loved the stay!”
Reviewed 28 November 2006

Me and a friend went to Simi Valley for a few days last september. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights.
We got a room with one double bed, which was just great. The room was big, and had a desk with a stool, and another table with 2 stools. It had a tv that worked just fine, and a fridge, and a microwave. The bathroom was big and tidy.
But since we were on a vacation we loved to sleep late ('til 10 or 11 in the morning) so we missed breakfast for 2 of 4 days. But that was ok, we didn't like the breakfast very much. For the two days we decided to sleep late, we were awoken by the maid. That was kinda frustrating.
Two of the days they had some maintenance work on the stairs, but it didn't bother us, we just used the elevator instead.
It was a great stay, and I would deffinitely stay there again.

• Liked — Everything about my room
  • Disliked — There were no computers for the guests to use
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Langsokkur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 25 July 2006

As a wedding present I was looking to book a room for my sister-in-law and her husband. I found a great rate on Holiday Inn’s website, and decided to book a room for myself and my wife as well. At check in the front desk was appalled that we would require the discounted rates on both rooms, and questioned how we were able to get a discounted rate. After the onslaught of questions we were finally able to get to our rooms. My wife and I were looking around the room and noticed we only had two towels, so I called to have some additional towels sent up. Imagine my surprise when two pillows showed up at my door twenty minutes later! The poor kid running around felt so bad that he was told to bring pillows instead of towels brought us more than enough towels. Well, after finally getting settled we decided to take a swim in the pool. Yet again another big mistake! The spa was closed, and the pool had no clean towels available. After running back up to our room to get towels that they ask you not to remove from the room I was grateful that I had requested additional towels. The next morning we got up early to get breakfast before they closed at 9 AM. The breakfast was less than average, but did have quite a variety of juices. Well, after breakfast the real fun began! We were walking back to our room to find yellow CAUTION: DO NOT CROSS tape blocking off the area in front of our room. Well, it turns out that they were having the railing replaced in front of our room and we were unable to get back to our room. The maintenance crew told us to go see the management. We spoke with Ashley at the front desk that was amazing. She apologized profusely and called the manager to come meet with us. Well, we tried to explain our frustration to him, but he rudely interrupted my wife and asked that we continued our conversation as we walked back to our room. As we walked and talked he again accused us of swindling Holiday Inn by getting a discount on rooms with jetted tubs, and that since we were already getting a discount he couldn’t do anything about the inconvenience. He did however offer to extend our check out from noon to 1 PM, but told us we would need an escort whenever we wanted to leave our room due to the maintenance. We stayed only long enough to repack our bags and get ready for the day and checked out due to the unbearable smell of burning metal. I could not believe that they would put us in a room that they knew would be having maintenance the next day. Be smart, stay somewhere else!

• Liked — Jetted bath tub
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank xcheck

Travellers are raving about these Simi Valley hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 April 2006

This hotel had a perfect location for my business visit. After the experience, I would have stayed elsewhere. I had a room with two queen beds. One mattress was bad, the other was awful. There was a funky smell in the room. Management was indifferent to complaints. During the time I stayed, something was wrong with the TV system for the entire hotel and, from what I was told when I complained, had been for a couple of days. No warning of the problem was offered at check-in. No compensation was offered when I complained. Bad beds, a smelly room, and bad TV reception made the stay less than perfect. The response of staff and management made the stay maddening.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 9 May 2005

The Holiday Inn is marginal at best. This property is in need of renovation very soon. The room was kind of dingy and looked worn. The location was quiet and close to the freeway. Service was OK. Breakfast ended at 9am which I thought was early for a hotel. The pool is outside in the courtyard. I have stayed here in the summer and the noise from the pool is quite loud if your room faces the courtyard. There was also some obvious mold in the bathroom shower. Overall, your choices for a decent hotel in Simi are 3 hotels. They are all about the same.

• Stayed December 2004
4 Thank greg3564
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 12 August 2004

We have stayed at this hotel before. There are new employees at the hotel. It was not as I remembered. First, I sat and listened to a front desk worker talk to a manager on the phone about how another employee should be suspended for not coming to work that day because his car broke down. We only got one towel when our room got cleaned and I called twice to get more towels. I finally went down to the front desk after waiting almost an hour (11:30 p.m.) and had to wait 10 more minutes. The breakfast has gone down from above average to just average. The area is still clean and well maintained and there are not many hotels in the area to choose from. We will stay there again because we like Simi Valley but it is not the best value for the money.

8 Thank momofsk8rs
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 September 2003

My family checked in late on a Saturday night. We requested a crib and was told it would be delivered. After dinner, we returned to the room, (around 1130pm) there was no crib. We were told the only crib was broken. There was only one pillow for the King Size bed. They has to get other pillows from a different room because there were none in the housekeeping closet. For $130, I expected much more. If I would have known the crib was broken earlier, I would have chosen a different hotel. I had a miserable time with my 2 year old

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palm Garden Hotel
Palm Garden Hotel
#2 of 9 in Thousand Oaks
Best Western Plus Thousand Oaks Inn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Simi Valley? Share your experiences!