“Not perfect, but perfectly fine.”
Review of Ship Ashore Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Smith River
Ship Ashore Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Smith River
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here on our way up the coast to the West Coast Game Park. Ship Ashore is a basic motel. It was pretty cheap with a nice view. In fact, it’s probably the cheapest ocean-view room I’ve ever had. The bathroom had a funky layout, but it was perfectly functional. The TV was unusually small. Everything was old, but very clean.

The room included breakfast, which was very basic. I think I had toast and cereal. On the day we were there, the only jam was blackberry. Also, the forks were put into a container with their tines pointing up. I think that’s a little gross, because people might have touched the tines of my fork when they were grabbing theirs. (My wife says I’m a germ-a-phobe.)

There is a casino down the road if you'd rather gamble than watch the micro-TV. (Watching the micro-TV is probably going to be cheaper!)

Note that the ship was a gift shop at one time, but it’s permanently closed. I heard a rumor that the ship was carried up to the highway by a tsunami. It's not true, but it makes a nice folktale.

Overall, I liked this place and thought it was an excellent value. I will stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim_and_Barbie

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We husband spent out 5th ANV there in 1987. We were in the last room that was single floor new addition at the time. It was said two men and a women was killed at this hotel sometime before our visit. I was woke up to the tinkling of ice invglasses and a women laughing. Telling us to wake up and joking the party. Needless to say now one in the room

I found out later that 3 people had died there

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank shellshell61
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Yes it is a little dated, yes it could use a "UPDATE" but the scenic treasure of this place trumps all that. Rooms are clean and the staff is fantastic. Has a web special that included a prime rib dinner for two. I keep going back.This place is at the mouth of the Smith River. Wildlife abound. The otters play in the river at night, while the local bird hang out during the day. Off the main road no noise.Even has tent sights. Good on property restaurant and lounge.

Room Tip: All are facing the River and Ocean. Honeymoon Suite has hot tub. set in the hot tub and look out the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank justonevoice
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The area is quite rural, but the Ship Ashore is decent and facility was clean. It does need a lot of updating, but it is located in a rustic area so not unexpected. I missed dinner by a few minutes but the hotel owners advised going up the road to the casino, which worked out just fine. The night was quiet and it was foggy so I couldnt see any of the water areas to give an opinion.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank T K
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Me and my husband have stayed here several times and really like the rooms. They are a older hotel but very nice. Right on the ocean, clean rooms, big bath tub for soaking. And the food in the bar is great, alway cooked just right and large portions.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rose B
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The hotel is older, built in the 60's, but the setting can't be beat. Quiet, peaceful, and a view of the Smith River out the sliding door made it feel more like a cruise ship. Don't misunderstand, the hotel is older and first impressions were a bit negative. But the place is unique. We took advantage of a two night stay, with prime rib dinner, for $150. The prime rib dinner was first rate, and the restaurant staff was well trained. Oh, and don't fail to take a walk along the river, to the ocean. We loved watching the sea lions and otters watching us, as we walked. We'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank sugar1addict3
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The Ship Ashore suffers from neglect and the overall feeling we got was that the owner doesn't care to spend the time, effort or money to do basic improvements or even the maintenance needed to keep ahead of deterioration. The balcony is a prime example. The wood is weathered and the balcony is in disrepair to the point of being a little scary. In addition, a child or pet could easily slip between the railing slats and the railing itself seemed structurally weak.

The room was clean other than the upholstered chairs, which were covered with pet hair. Since the carpet was free of hair, I suspect the housekeeper just overlooked the chairs when vacuuming – easy to do. The mattress was way too firm for us, the sheets didn’t provide quite enough coverage and the small baseboard heater would not put out more heat despite being turned on high.

According to family who live locally, the restaurant used to be great. Sadly, it appears to be suffering the same fate as the motel, serving dinner only and only in the lounge. The continental breakfast was a pleasant surprise. Not only did we not realize there was a continental breakfast offered, but the selection was pretty good – several cold cereal choices, pastries, yogurt, instant oatmeal and fresh fruit.

The Ship Ashore has great potential but if the owner doesn’t take care of the deferred maintenance soon, I’m afraid it will decay to the point of no return. I’d like to give it at least 3 stars but based on what we saw, unless the owner starts taking a little interest in improving the place, I doubt it will even rate 2 stars soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
#3 of 8 in Brookings
Arky's B&B
Arky's B&B
#1 of 4 in Smith River

Been to Ship Ashore Resort? Share your experiences!