“Only Game in Town - For Dogs!”
Review of Ship Ashore Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Smith River
Ship Ashore Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Smith River
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I were passing through the area and wanted to spend one night to utilize the local casino. We were traveling with two small dogs and the nicest place in town, which I think is the Lucky 7 Casino/Resort does not take dogs. We get this a lot so we look further and found the Ship Ashore Resort. It served all of our needs and the people were quite friendly. You get a bad first impression because you have to drive through a run down mobile/RV park to get to the motel. The motel needs some work but we were only staying the one night. The room we had was clean and satisfactory. We did not try the restaurant. Can't really imagine an extended stay here but the one or two would be okay. Not much else around if you travel with your dogs.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have better views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dawsonduo68

Reviewed 7 August 2014

3 night stay in #260, a river house. Wet floors/carpet upon arrival. Broken blinds, ripped/missing screens on windows, ants, animal hair on couch, cobwebs in corner of ceiling. My son's feet were BLACK from walking on the carpet without socks on. It has potential if they would clean and fix it up. They also allow dogs in the lobby where your continental breakfast is provided. Never again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Erica W
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed June 7 -10. We loved the wildlife every morning. The rooms were average being the place is older but they were very clean. It's close to the Redwoods and to Brookings Oregon. The price was great and is well worth the stay. We will be back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bryon S
Reviewed 8 June 2014

No this is not a new place but you do not feel like you are getting ripped off when it comers to the price.
In fact you can spend a extra day because it is so cheap. So enjoy yourself and the surroundings while you are there. You get to set on a deck with a beautiful view and if you like fishing its right there on the bay. So this is a old school place with a lot of charm. The staff was very helpful it just was a great place to ride are Harleys and kick it. I know it sound funny but and If it matter but I felt very spiritual there.. The ambiance and feeling you get are a 10 with me. PS I read some of these reviews and if you are used to 5 star motels and wont to pay those real high prices
Go for it. But for the average folk that are going down the road and want too watch there pocket book but still want a comfortable place and you come across this place you will be very happy here.
Thanks Ship ashore for A GOOD TIME THERE Bo and friends

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bo O
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We rented the river house and man o man never again felt like I needed a tetanus shot just to walk in the door. Poor maintenance and dirty shower curtain. Ants in the kitchen and coffee still in the coffee pot.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank EurekaOverthehill
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here on our way up the coast to the West Coast Game Park. Ship Ashore is a basic motel. It was pretty cheap with a nice view. In fact, it’s probably the cheapest ocean-view room I’ve ever had. The bathroom had a funky layout, but it was perfectly functional. The TV was unusually small. Everything was old, but very clean.

The room included breakfast, which was very basic. I think I had toast and cereal. On the day we were there, the only jam was blackberry. Also, the forks were put into a container with their tines pointing up. I think that’s a little gross, because people might have touched the tines of my fork when they were grabbing theirs. (My wife says I’m a germ-a-phobe.)

There is a casino down the road if you'd rather gamble than watch the micro-TV. (Watching the micro-TV is probably going to be cheaper!)

Note that the ship was a gift shop at one time, but it’s permanently closed. I heard a rumor that the ship was carried up to the highway by a tsunami. It's not true, but it makes a nice folktale.

Overall, I liked this place and thought it was an excellent value. I will stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim_and_Barbie
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We husband spent out 5th ANV there in 1987. We were in the last room that was single floor new addition at the time. It was said two men and a women was killed at this hotel sometime before our visit. I was woke up to the tinkling of ice invglasses and a women laughing. Telling us to wake up and joking the party. Needless to say now one in the room

I found out later that 3 people had died there

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank shellshell61

Been to Ship Ashore Resort? Share your experiences!