“Exceptional Stay.”

Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My first stay with this property & brand was awesome. I usually stay at Courtyard & did not enjoy my last stay there & moved to this location. The reviews made me a nervous but from front desk to rooms to breakfast & pool , it was all more than I expected. I would definitely come back & recommend my colleagues to stay here from now on.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sapnakotr k
HinnExpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Wow! Thanks so much for such a nice review!! We are glad that you gave us a chance and we were able to meet your expectations. We are happy to hear that your stay was a pleasant one. Please come back and visit us soon!! Thanks again for the kind words.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

The Hotel is on a very busy road, the Rooms and common parts (hallways) are dirty, tired and frankly very unattractive.
My Room was less than perfunctory in it's decor, cleanliness and overall 'tired' feel.
I felt like I was in a cheap dirty Motel rather than a modern global brand name.
Reception Staff couldn't have cared less about being professional or helpful, and overall even though I was only there one night as I was heading on to Laguna Beach & Santa Monica, I couldn't wait to check-out.
The place was thoroughly depressing.
Avoid it and try almost anywhere else.

My goodness do get yourself to the nearby Pizza Port however for the best, tastiest most delicious darn Pizza I've ever tatsed anywhere!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank PercipientDude

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your honesty. We want our guests to let us know when we need to improve. We will be addressing all these issues with the proper departments. We want to ensure that this does not occur with any future guests. We hope you give us a second chance if you ever visit Solana Beach again. Thank you.

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here twice visiting our UCSD student and love the location. Great neighborhood to walk, close to beach. Friendly , clean, comfy hotel. And the breakfast is a plus! Close to restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank KathyC159_12

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are happy to hear that you have made us your home away from home. We want all of our guests to experience stays just like yours when they choose to stay with us. We hope to see you back soon for a third time!!! Thanks and see you soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst visiting friends and sight seeing in San deigo...great rooms and great value and all the staff were wonderful. Very clean rooms and spacious. Great access to public transport to get to San Diego...just a short train ride and a great little shopping centre. Good restaurant close by.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Janet T
HinnExpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Thanks for such a nice review. This is the type of stay that we strive to give all of our guests. We are delighted to hear that we managed to do just that. We take pride in offering great amenities at a great location. Along with this we strive to have a great staff that compliments all that we offer. Come back and visit us soon. Thanks again and we will see you later!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This HI is in a good location, we checked in at night so couldn't see much of the place. Parking is in an underground type area which was kind of creepy. I had reserved this a month prior to our visit, called on the phone so I could get on the group rate ($114) for the reason we were staying. On phone, no problem. When I checked in, the desk gave me the going rate of $149 and then it jumped to $169 for the Fri/Sat. The desk could not help me due to it being 9pm and no manger on duty, so they told me to call the next day which I did.
The manager, a female, told me that under no circumstances was she going to honor the group rate which I reserved since I did not have an email confirmation from them. It did not matter that I had a confirmation number, nor did it matter that in the notes she read me from her computer it said "request group rate for -----, and 2 beds" ...I did not have that email that they never sent me. Told me she would grant me the group rate for the previous night, and then it would be back to the $149 rate, like she was doing me a big favor. Once I told her no, it was not my fault that they didn't send me an email confirmation, she sarcastically said that she would call around for another hotel for me if I needed help! Really? Wow, business must be that good. Why on earth would I stay at this place for $149 - $169 when I can stay at a fabulous hotel like the Doubletree by Hilton for the same price? Which is what I did. Drove right down and checked out.
I will say that the kind man at the desk when I checked out apologized over and over, even though he had nothing to do with it. A class act. Said he just wanted the customers to be happy and he took full responsibility for my unhappiness with the place. Told him again it was not his fault and thanked him for his great customer service, but I was on my way to a much better hotel. The manager? Hid in her office even though the nice gentleman told her I was there.
By the way, the room we had for the one night had comfy beds. Room smelled of stale smoke and the air was shut off which didn't help. Small bathroom with some kind of plastic type shower. Carpet felt dirty and bathroom floor sticky. Nothing special. I'm sure HI will have some rebuttal after my negative review. Terrible management.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TheV's

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations this time around. We appreciate you letting us know where we need to improve to better service our guests. We hope that you give us another chance to show you that we value and appreciate every guests. Thanks again.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed at the HI Express in Solana Beach May 14-16. Property was in excellent condition and the people were very professional and helpful. Room was in fine shape. Did not use the breakfast or pool facilities but it looked nice as well. Under-cover parking free. Front desk sent a fax for me at no charge and many hotels would not do that for you. The price was extremely affordable for the location. Would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank greatdaner

Wow! Thanks for such a nice review. Sounds like you were here on busines and we are happy to hear that our amenities came in handy. Sorry to hear you did not get to try out the breakfast and pool area. There you go you got a reason to come back and visit us soon. We look forward to seeing you soon and thanks again!

Reviewed 11 May 2013

I stayed one night during the weekday to get a way from a busy schedule that I have. The beds were very comfortable and everyone was very nice. The hotel was great from the lobby to my room. We were able to walk to the beach and also a great Thai restaurant that was close by. The pool was heated so that was really nice too. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marisol M

Thank you for the review. We are glad that you were able to enjoy your stay with us. We strive to have a great location that offers great accommodations and amenities. Thank you for choosing us for your getaway please come and visit us again soon! Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Solana Beach
Best Western Premier Hotel Del Mar
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - Cardiff Beach Area
Holiday Inn Express Encinitas - ...
#2 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Winners Circle Resort
Winners Circle Resort
#1 of 3 in Solana Beach
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Been to Holiday Inn Express Solana Beach/Del Mar? Share your experiences!