“Wonderful Stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Great location, great rooms and great staff. This was our first time here but we will be back. Our very clean room had a fully equipped kitchen with all of the cook wear we needed. The rooms were well appointed with large TV's--one in the living area and one in the bedroom. The resort was not noisy not even the pool area. Parking was free and not hard to find. We had two bathrooms which was great. The bath towels were huge and they provided pool towels as well. We had a wonderful stay and experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Carson, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was my second time staying at this wonderful place. Got to kick back and relax for Labor Day weekend. I took full advantage of their grill (cooked oysters and bacon wrapped scallops that we picked up from whole foods only down the street). The staff were nice and friendly and so were the other guests staying there. It's a pretty close drive to downtown yet good enough distance for a nice quiet and beautiful ambiance.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael M
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was looking for a quiet place to spend Labor Day weekend, but also a place that wouldn't bore me to tears while also offering friendly services. It's not much to ask for, but WCR went above and beyond my expectations. Being a fresh college grad with a bit of spending money, I was tired of finding a dead mouse or cockroaches in sleazy motels while travelling within my college student budget. When I pulled up to WCR, I knew I was going to be in for a very pleasant experience.

The first WCR employee face I saw was the valet, who was super friendly and I had little fear that my car would not be handled with great care. Upon entering the hotel lobby, I was greeted by a very friendly front desk person named Rachel. She was very accomodating and very helpful, despite my naievete and lack of experience in staying with resorts. I could tell the hotel was very busy as it was Labor Day weekend, but she stuck by me and was very patient throughout my requests for extra towels, the pool table supplies, change for my $20s, and pointing me to the hotel amenities. I could tell she was very experienced in her position and I was surprised she wasn't already part of the management team, given the quality of service I received.

I was looking for quiet, and boy did I sure get it. To put it delicately, most of the hotel patrons were of the same age you'd expect to see most bingo players. That provided a great, family-friendly environment that made it very easy to sleep (I am a VERY light sleeper). Rachel (the front desk girl) told me that part of the hotel was actually timeshares, so I guess that made sense. I was actually very much appreciated the fact that they didn't push the timeshares too much onto me, so bonus points for that. The room itself was very well decorated and well stocked, especially given the fact I had opted for a studio since I was only visiting friends for a short while. Housekeeping came and went without a hitch and I made sure to tip them very well.

The one thing I noticed was that their arcade games were kind of dated and didn't work, but heck I'm 25 years old so I guess it really wasn't that much of a bummer. I'm sure the kids who came with their families minded, though.

Overall, 5/5 for the cozy, family-friendly experience that made for a perfect Labor Day weekend with friends. I'd definitely recommend this place if you want a quiet place to stay, but the more rambunctious crowd should go elsewhere so as to not ruin the family environment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank L H
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have stayed in a 2nd floor room overlooking the pool area. This can be a little noisy after dark, but that gives it a feeling of activity in the resort. The noise subsides when the pool closes. The TVs are large and show HD well, but there is a setting that a few resort staff know of if you are only seeing SD on yours. Room service is minimal, so use your bath towels sparingly; however, pool towels are replaced quickly on demand at the front desk. The pools are sufficiently warm that swimming while the sun is up in late November is still comfortable. And the hot tubs can be used if extra warmth and relaxation is needed.

The location is good. It's a looong walk to the beach, but a short drive or jog. There are several beaches and activities within 10-15 minute drives, also. PCH is close by so the 5 can be avoided easily.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jhaan2
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

If you are interested in going to the track at Del Mar, this is the place to stay. The staff iat Winner's Circle is very friendly and they even have a free shuttle that will take you to and from the the track. If the horses aren't your thing, the Winner's Circle is close to the beach in Del Mar, many restaurants, and I-5 which will whisk you down to San Diego in no time flat. Some of the units have been redecorated and are very nice. We stayed there in June for a week in one of the newer units and then returned in late August to another one BR unit that was still very nice, although it had not been redecorated. The resort also has daily maid service, which is unusual for timeshare properties, as it also operates as a hotel. They offer free Wi-Fi service in all the rooms. The pool is large, they have a hot tub spa and a kids pool and a nice BBQ area. Great for families, adults and couples. We are looking forward to returning in 2014 for more fun times.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room on the West wing.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LACASAZ
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Don't ever buy the U-T Reader City, or Groupon coupon from this outfit. They cheat and mis- represent the terms and conditions of the use. They have rooms available tonight (8/24/13), yes rooms plural. However when I tried to use it they said it's not available during the Del Mar meet. I then advised them the only blackout dates listed are 8-30 to 9-2-13. The front desk clerk stated he had to call his manager to see if we could use it, because there was no one in charge to make the decision. After being told I would receive a call back within 15 minutes, I called back over a half hour later, and still no word. Finally, I received a call and was told that even though rooms are available, I was unable to use it because the inventory was not available for the coupon!!! Yes, there were rooms available, but we couldn't use it!!! Every time I came up with a valid reason to use it, there was an excuse as to why we couldn't. I was told to contact Roger the manager, tomorrow, since he was the one who turned down our reservation. Well you guessed it, tomorrow is too late!!!!! Don't get suckered by this 'resort'.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scott T
JaquelynW_12, Manager at Winners Circle Resort, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion about our resort. First, I apologize that we were unable to accommodate you for your requested dates. As you may notice from reading our other reviews, we also operate as a timeshare.

Sometimes, these timeshare owners make their rooms available for the public to "rent". For those owners, we are not able to honor discounts or promotions, as they will only accept full price for their rooms. This is why we did not have the inventory available for those dates, it was not ours, but an individual timeshare owner's rooms that were available. I apologize for the inconvenience and, if you haven't already, I hope you use your certificate for an enjoyable stay at our property.
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was a very nice hotel. Our room was beautiful, comfortable, and clean. I slept better than I have in ages there. We also had a kitchenette that had everything we needed to cook for ourselves. Our room had a cosy and private patio that opened into the pool area. The pool area was wonderful. There was a game room and lounge next to the lounge. Everything was very attractive and most of all clean. The staff were nice & helpful. We couldn't have asked for more. When we return to the San Diego area next year, we will be staying here again! In other words, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: The rooms around the pool area were lovely. I'm not sure how they compare to the ones facing th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar

Been to Winners Circle Resort? Share your experiences!