“Not a restaurant, a take out place, but great food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rudy's Taco Shop

Rudy's Taco Shop
Ranked #13 of 76 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Boise, Idaho
“Not a restaurant, a take out place, but great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We went to this place, based on the number 1 ranking and the picture of the restaurant. I've submitted the real picture of their front door to show what to expect. They do have a small deck on which there are a few tables and inside there are 3 small tables but this is, as their sign says, a take out place. We were longing for Mexican food and disappointed at the non-restaurant look of Rudys and that it was empty, so we went to the two other highly ranked spots, Tony's Jacal and Fidel's. Both had more than a 30 minute wait so obviously locals have voted with their presence that for those two restaurants. This all being said, we decided to call in an order to Rudy's and take it out. It was ready within 10 minutes. As suggested in the #1 ranking and the other discussions, the food was/is fabulous and inexpensive. My wife's chili rellenos dish was her best ever and my Carne Asada burrito was packed with delicious meat so, as a take out, Rudy's really is excellent! If you don't mind the look and small space dining there is probably ok also, it is certainly retro..

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Great Carne Asada in a strip mall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I would have never tried this place with Tripadvisor, and I was still a little nervous when I entered one evening. This place isn't upscale Solana Beach. It reminds me of my childhood in rural Appalachia, with a set of shelves with food products (though Bimbo breads never made it to Appalachia in the 1980s) plus a small food counter. Although there are a few tables outside, I decided to get my food to go - late October isn't warm enough for outdoor eating. For some people, this would make a great date place.

As for the food, I got two regular tacos, one carne asada and one carnitas, for less than $3 each. I should have gotten two carne asada - that one was marvelous! As others have said, the meat is flavorful and not dry. As for the other one, the carnitas, it was fine but I'd rather have Chipotle. If I make it this way again, I'd get all grilled beef.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Muy Bueno!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Having lived in colonial Mexico for 10 + years, I can highly recommend this great little place.
I had the large tacos with all - one Carnitas and one Carne Asada. Both salsas were outstanding.
Provecho.

Iowa City, IA
“Tasty Tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Had the carne asada tacos - loved them - yummy and fresh. Friendly people, nice little place with a small grocery section as well.

San Diego, CA
“A hidden gem in a strip mall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

The best breakfast burritos are made at Rudy's. I always have half for breakfast and the other half for lunch. The service is quick and the food is great. Rudy's is a gem hidden in Solana Beach, and we locals are lucky to know where it is.

• Visited September 2013