“Million dollar view, beautiful place”

Solana Beach and Tennis Club
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Solana Beach
Solana Beach and Tennis Club
NYC
“Million dollar view, beautiful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

Very nice 2 br apt. great views, well-cared for, full amenities.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkhouseNyc

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2009

I have on several occasions rented a condo from Jeannes Beach Villas in the Solana Beach and Tennis Club. My wife and I absolutely love it.
The condo has every amenity and is obviously very well cared for by Jeanne, its owner. The condo is very clean (my wife would have it no other way) and up to date and I cannot recall wanting for any convenience. This particular unit directly faces the ocean and it is a real treat to get up in the morning, have coffee on the balcony and watch the surfers do their thing or the dolphins swim by, as they do from time to time. Jeanne has been a joy to deal with, attentive to every detail and completely reliable. Perhaps that is the advantage of dealing directly with an owner/manager.
As for the development itself, I do not wander the corridors because I do not have to in order to access my particular unit, so I cannot comment on the state of the carpets or other common area furnishings that seemed to have bothered some other reviewers. However, as far as I am concerned, the pool area (where I do spend time) is terrific and the parking area, tennis courts and every other amenity that I have had cause to use are perfectly satisfactory. There seem to be no end of landscapers around to ensure that the grounds are always well maintained.
And as for the location, this complex and Solana Beach, in general, are, in my view, unbeatable. Beaches, shopping, dining, etc. are all nearby and all of the major San Diego area attractions are all within easy driving distance.
I will be back.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank awr_9
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2009

"From the first contact with Jeannes Beach Villas , I was very happy with the service provided.
A video and 25 pictures gave us a very good impression of what to expect.
We were not disappointed in any aspect.

We arrived mid afternoon for a week stay and found the Solana Beach condo an excellent place and location.
We roamed north to Capistrano and Oceanside, east to Temecula Wine Country and the Wild Animal Park, and south to San Diego.
We found the traffic to be minimal and easy to navigate ( we did bring our own GPS unit which I would highly recommend also)

The condo was just a wonderful place for two couples as we had a kitchen, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths plus a wonderfull view of the Pacific from the balcony and spacious living room/dining area Secure parking in a covered garage was another plus. Everything was in great condition
Having the internet and my laptop was a blessing so we could read about places, look at maps and plan our days accordingly

Jeanne was great to deal with as we had a minor key issue( my fault ) but she quickly called the management office and had someone come over to help us out and show me how to use a key.

Local restaurants were plentiful as we ate at Charlies by the Sea, Several downtown restaurants and another Winery restaurant in Temecula. Bring a game or two as we finished every evening with some Scrabble and Mexican Train dominoes( Target $17 travel size Scrabble and a Domino tin for $13) although airport security was not impressed with a solid block of ceramic dominoes at the Xray booth

I think anyone wanting to visit Southern California would be wise to consider this condo for their first choice.
The four of us had a great week inspite of a little rain and cool air in February. Thanks again for a great place"

------------------------------

Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jeannerl
Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2008

I wish I'd seen the other reviews about this place before coming. The "development" is old and very in need of an upgrade (but that might not even help). We rented a unit via VRBO and I wouldn't come back for any price. The unit was dirty, the grill had not been cleaned in months, the dishwasher worked but was very beat up, the carpet was just gross - I felt uncomfortable from the moment I arrived - paying in advance does have it's disadvantages. Go to La Jolla or some other place - don't waste your time here.

• Liked — the beach view was very nice
  • Disliked — It was just plain dirty - I have no idea what the cleaning fee goes to
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank WJPCO
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2007

Wish I had read the review posted by the previous reviewer before I travelled. I agree that the location for the SBTC is the only thing going for it really. Direct access onto the beach, although down 126 steps, and the beach was clean, fairly empty, with lifeguard, most of the time.

Agree entirely about the resort itself - it is long past its sell by date. Although the unit we had, number 126, had recently been renovated it was still somewhat 'icky'. When we first arrived and had to walk through the corridors to get to the apartment, I almost turned back then. It was like a run down inner city 60's tenement block. We arrived after 5pm so had to collect the keys from a lock up box. The apartment was dirty ( I complained about this the next day when the office opened) even though the rate included a 'cleaning fee'. We washed all the crockery and cutlery before we could use it, the bedcovers had stains on them, the white towels had black stains all over them, the verandah looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. This resort I believe is over 30 years old and is in drastic need of renovation. The 'clubhouse' has an old, splintered ping pong table, gross grubby cream leather chairs, a pool table with no balls or cues. Didn't use the pool - preferred the beach.

Residents there obviously do not like the vacation rental visitors. Don't think anyone spoke to us the whole week we were there - didn't pass the time of day even. Except the lady in the office who had just started there that week and was very nice and wanted to be helpful. The list of 'don't do's' that came with the resort information read like a prison camp set of rules - far from welcoming and totally over the top.

The units had no air con and despite being told by the staff at Dave Stubbs that the 'sea breeze kept the apartments cool and no-one else had ever complained about the fact that there was no air con', these apartments are HOT - all day and all night. We had the fans on (they were only in the two bedrooms so the downstairs was permanently hot) all the time and they made little difference. The sliding doors were impossible to open and shut - most of them rusted over time.

For the money we paid ($1800 for the week) we could have had two rooms in a good hotel nearby. Although Solana beach was nice I would imagine there are better places at the more up market La Jolla or Del Mar nearby. Would not use Dave Stubbs again and would definitely not recommend these apartments.

• Liked — proximity to beach
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank avidtraveller57
Greater LA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2007

We booked a week at the Solana Beach and Tennis Club condo complex through Dave Stubbs Vacation Web site (they manage most of the units in the condo buildings on the bluff in Solana Beach). My family and I had spent many years vacationing in Solana Beach at the Del March Beach Club and, when that was booked, decided to book two units at this complex. HUGE MISTAKE!

THE GOOD: The complex is on the ocean side of the street in Solana Beach, the view units have views of the ocean and you could, in theory, hear the surf from our ocean front unit. The other unit we rented was ocean view and it definitely had ocean views from its set back location.

THE BAD: The complex is horribly run-down. The elevators and outdoor carpets look worse than a college dorm after the year is over and everyone has just trashed the place. The public areas are not well maintained, the view lounge was locked the whole time we were here, there is only one swimming pool and the jacuzzi spa had this gross plastic cover on it.

The place has a creepy feel to it and some of the people renting here look a bit on the "sketch" side. Most of the complexes here on the bluff in Solana Beach have ocean view pools and private beach access and swank ocean view lounges on the bluff. Not this one! One crappy uninviting pool in the center of the complex surrounded by the open air parking garage (boy that looks nice - not!) and a gate you go out at the far south end of the complex to get the public beach access path. Each of these negatives by itself is not that big a deal, but the whole thing adds up to one big Motel 6 by the Sea feel.

THE TRULY TERRIBLE: We rented two units. There is no air conditioning and it's difficult to get a breeze going given the way the units are designed. We went out and bought three fans and it helped a bit, but the unit was hot and sticky and very uncomfortable (there is no forced air system installed, even for heat, so that means there is no way to just run a fan to get the air moving).

We couldn't hear the ocean because of the fans, but you could if you turned the fans off. Although our unit was billed as ocean front, our view was cut off by a building jutting out. The pictures on the Dave Stubbs web site are really misleading - there is one picture that makes it looks like the unit has panoramic views, but I think it was taken on the balcony with someone hanging off the edge! (I did call Dave Stubbs to complain about all these issues and they were polite but uninterested. They have a monopoly on the rental market and don't seem to care whether or not they satisfy their rental customers.)

The units were built in the 70s and it shows. Our units were dirty and poorly maintained. Cups had lipstick on them from previous renters (gross) and the coffee pot still had coffee and grounds in it from who knows when. When you touched things they were "sticky."

It was hard to open the screen door and sliding glass door to the balcony, the shower heads were corroded, the washer and dryer was old and installed in such a way as to make it very difficult to use; in general, the units have seen much better days, but to be honest, it doesn't look like this was ever a quality condo complex. The units do come with things like grills and outdoor furniture, but the quality is so poor and the items are so badly maintained and dirty, they might as well not be there at all. The beds and pillows were so uncomfortable we had to go to Target and buy pillows. The sheets and towels provided smelled funny so we had to do laundry to use the supplied linens. The best way to describe the units is "icky." Our party of 8 in two units was so uncomfortable that two of us left two days early and the rest of us left one day early. Bummer.

BOTTOM LINE: Renter beware. We paid a pretty penny to rent these two units for the week. For the money, we could have booked a few rooms at a really nice hotel and had a much more relaxing and enjoyable time. If you get a really good deal (for example, maybe rent direct from an owner on VRBO or greatrentals instead of from the Dave Stubbs sleaze rental agents) and you don't mind the "ick" factor, then the Solana Beach and Tennis Club is the vacation for you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea

Been to Solana Beach and Tennis Club? Share your experiences!