“One of the best in Solana Beach / Del Mar”

Pamplemousse Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Pamplemousse Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 79 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jimmy Durante Blvd.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Expensive... but totally worth it for a romantic dinner.

Expect to drop $50 to $65 each minimum. More if you order their amazing $35 grilled cheese. It really is that good!

My wife and I have been there a total of 6 times over the past 3 years and it is one of our very favorites.

1  Thank FlySleepEat

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I really did not know what to expect. This
Place is hidden in a little strip mall. Once inside, the low key and quiet ambiance was ideal of an evening of conversation, excellent food and service, and an extensive wine list. The Tuna Tartare with wasabi caviar was outstanding. I had a mixed green salad with baked goat cheese, and my friend had the arugula an prosciutto salad. Both were superb. I highly recommend the 3 fish combo (sea bass, tuna and salmon). My friend's John Dory fish was equally good. Portions are excellent as well. The mixed bead basket served up a variety of good tasting bread choices too. The wine list is extensive, with a balance of domestic and imported wines. Pricing on these is a bit high, but we found a good one or under $80. Overall, a great meal, and the server was very helpful with both wine and entree choices.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have lived in the SD area for about 12 years and probably dined in every restaurant that can lay a claim to be among the city's best. My dinner here last night was the best meal I've had in the SD area in many years. The menu has expanded in include many original and beautifully creative new items. The stuffed zucchini blossoms were heavenly and my crispy half duck was the best duck I have eaten in many years. My partner had the white salmon and was equally delighted. The wait staff was perfectly attuned to our needs yet never intrusive. All in all, a memorable experience.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We went for my wife's birthday and it was a very special meal. The good was inventive and delicious. Be aware you get what you pay for. This quality of food, atmosphere, and service for not make for a bargain. Nevertheless it is definitely worth a splurge

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We made a spontaneous reservation from Laguna Beach and made the drive down along the PCH to get there for a 9:00pm reservation. The restaurant exterior is misleading: set inside a housing development, it looks like middle-class mall restaurant. Once you step inside and look at the wine cabinet stocked with Lafitte and Romanee Conti, you know you are in a serious restaurant with a modern French approach: "pamplemousse" is French, after all. The interior needs a makeover: the problem is mainly the furniture and layout--which is reminiscent of restaurants with far less ambition. A dessert chef was preparing some chocolate pieces for a wedding they were catering the next day in open view of the restaurant and the room smelled heavily of dark chocolate as a result. Normally, a restaurant that caters is a red flag for me, as it means their attentions are distracted by quantity productions. The chef Jeffrey Strauss, with long catering background, was not cooking the evening we were eating, as he was seated at the table across from us eating with a large party of family members--his party was a little loud, and it set a vibe of insider vs outsiders. Wine list was extensive, but the waiter was not really a wine person, and could not answer my queries over different bottles. We ended up with a rather mediocre but expensive bottle of Staglin, with dried up fruit, although we wanted to avoid ordering a white wine that was over the hill: the waiter insisted it was a "great bottle." The appetisers lean toward Asian fusion treatments, with wasabi and ginger used creatively. The restaurant offers grille or oven-poached fish dishes with high quality ingredients. The portions were fairly large, and the plates extremely filling, if not very memorable, lacking that extra fineness that would justify the prices and make the restaurant more attractive to me. The approach is not full-on French, but French mixed with other approaches (traditional American, Asian, etc.) and it is hard to tell if the restaurant wants to be a grille or really a fine dining establishment. As it is, it is caught between a portfolio of things (wine temple, US grill place, modern French restaurant, fusion place, high quality caterer, etc), perhaps this is strategic portfolio management for the owners, but the restaurant loses a clear unique identity through this for the ordinary diner. Prices were high, expected better.

1  Thank James S