“Overpriced and food quality going downhill”

Bangkok Bay Thai Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 78 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2014

First came here 3 years ago and I find the food quality going downhill. One of my favorites is the Penang Beef. The first time I had it the beef was tender and it's gotten more and more overcooked each time. Worst yet since, I've dined here I've visited a wonderful Thai restaurant (Soi4) up in the Bay Area where the food was far superior and it costs less. Don't think I'll be back.

1  Thank W2SH

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hello,
We are not specialists of Asian or Americanized Asian food. Again, vacation in Solana beach, walking distance from the hotel, Monday night, no reservation. Party of 6. 7.30pm. packed or seemed to be. the waitress (maybe the owner) nicely prepared a table for 4. we were like sardines but the atmosphere was nice. The pineapple fried rice dish and the vegetable dish were good, the fried rice with chicken shared by 2 of our kids (no kids menu) was acceptable. the triple dragon dish was blend. To be honest, I have never been impressed about that type of restaurant who served 40 different dishes with the same basis. It was acceptable but no more. The gratuity added for 5 orders (4 kids) and 6 people on a table for 4 was like the fortune cookie on the top of the cake. Go there if you like rice and your home rice cooker is broken. But it is still a good alternative to the usual American fast food habit.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Cozy restaurant with super friendly staff! We got the pineapple rice and the twisted sisters. Both was very good. We definitely will come back!
It's a popular place you better reserve a table in advance.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I went in expecting amazing thai food. I ordered the Pad See Ew with Shrimp, with a Thai Iced Tea. The shrimp was cooked well and so were the veggies, but the noodles were overcooked and kind of a big sticky ball of pasta. The Thai Iced Tea was way sweet, to the point where I couldn't take more than a few sips.

Don't get me wrong. The place has its charms. The food comes out super fast and the service is excellent. Additionally, Bangkok Bay has a great family charm and feel to it. I found the atmosphere really relaxing and with a good happy energy to it.

Would I return? Probably not. I've been to Del Mar on business for 3 weeks of the past two months, and there's definitely better options for a meal.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We go to Bangkok Bay all the time and love the food! Best Thai in all of San Diego county. Every single dish I've gotten has been stellar. You MUST eat here.