“Evolution not a revolution - many unnecessary changes/charges”

Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I have been staying here for years over several holidays and during other visits to the area. I read some of the other recent reviews and I have to agree that some of the new changes that they have implemented are very unpopular - especially the parking charge - which is just enough to be a nuisance and probably a bit unnecessary. I am a loyal Marriott Rewards Member and try to stay loyal to the brand even when not on business - so this hotel is always for personal/vacation and I do not like paying for things like parking and beverages. The front desk experience has never been that great and this past time it was not good at all. The man checking me in could have cared less if I was there, did not thank me for my loyalty / even though he issued me Elite cards and seemed bothered when I asked him if there was a trash receptacle as I had wanted to get rid of my soda bottle. I was just very uniimpressed and it was not what I or anyone should expect from this brand. The rooms also feature paper thin walls and ceilings so you can hear everyone's conversations and feet moving about if you are on the main floor (as we have been a couple of times) Like some of the other recent reviews, I would recommend looking elsewhere in the area for other Marriott properties and or other properties in general.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amybojo
socialmediacoord, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your continued loyalty over the years with us and the Marriott brand. We understand you have many options when traveling and appreciate that you and your husband chose us when visiting the area. I’m sorry that we fell short in providing you with the great experience you have come to expect when staying with us. While we aim for perfection, sometimes we fall short and I apologize, as this does not reflect the high level of service we strive to provide. I have shared your comments with the front desk staff to ensure the issue you experienced with check-in does not happen in the future.

I am delighted to say that we are about to begin a renovation that addresses other issues and once complete we will have outstanding updated rooms! Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to our outstanding updated rooms during your next trip to Solana Beach. If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I've visited this hotel for the last 15 yrs. The staff have always made my stay a pleasure. The addition of the Bistro was a big plus IMHO. Since my stays were always related to visitation w my kids, the larger rooms and convenience of the beaches made this an easy choice.
Sadly, as I plan another trip for thanksgiving, I'm bothered by the reviews.The newly ala-cart nickel & dime policy ( $ 12/pn parking with no more combination entry gate, charging for morning coffee ) has driven me to find another location with better reviews and prices in Del Mar. Renovating rms is a must, but It's time to move on. Thank you for all the memories, good luck.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We recently stayed here before attending a Chargers football game. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The free computers and printers in the main lobby are nice.

The front desk staff, in an effort to give us a room close to the pool, gave us a handicapped-accessible room. If you don't need this, don't get it. Everything just seems a little off. And, the shower doesn't have a place for the shampoo and conditioner -- only a soap dish that just fits the soap bar. I guess that handicapped people just use soap!

The bedroom carpeting immediately adjacent to the bathroom was inexplicably wet.

The worst was the ring of grime around the shower drain. At first, I thought it was a permanent stain, but it started to wash away as i took my shower. The photo as part of this review shows the ring after about 2/3 of it had disappeared.

The room itself is good size, and the bed is comfortable.

The heating/air conditioning is a wall unit with a dial but no temperature sensor -- so if you leave the room with it on, the room will get very stuffy (or cold).

The self-parking fee is excessive -- there shouldn't be one -- but it shouldn't be a surprise.

The interior lay out is very confusing -- hard to find you way around.

Doubt I would stay here again. There are other well-located hotels in the San Diego area that are cleaner, and have rooms that are easier to find.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thanks so much for staying with us. We understand you have many options when traveling and appreciate that you chose us. I'm so sorry that we fell short in providing you with a great experience. While we aim for perfection, sometimes we fall short and I apologize. The cleanliness issue is unacceptable and has been addressed with the housekeeping department. As for your concerns regarding room condition, I am happy to say that we are about to begin a renovation that addresses many of those same issues. Once complete we will have outstanding updated rooms!

Thanks again for your feedback. It is crucial in finding our weaknesses as well as where we are succeeding. I hope to see you back in your future travels! If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This property is completely what you would expect from the brand. Nice large rooms, well decorated, nice pool, hot tub and outdoor fireplace. Where they missed the mark is in the cheap thin towels and low quality bath amenities. Still, it's very close to the beach, which is 100 steps down a cliff.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms are larger, with bigger bathrooms, but no sofa.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for staying with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our large rooms and courtyard amenities like our outdoor fireplace. Our close location to the beach and other coastal attractions provide our guests with the opportunity to see the best San Diego has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here for one night for a wedding. The hotel has an updated interior and the room was very clean and nice. We loved the wet bar and mini-fridge. The pool could use a little updating but we still had fun swimming and taking a dip in the hot tub. The staff was very friendly and our rate (albeit it was off season) was a great deal for the area. If you're looking for luxury, this probably isn't the place for you. But it's a nice hotel with easy parking and good amenities. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments and staying with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the wet bar and mini-fridge in your room as well as our other property amenities including the pool and hot tub. We strive to provide our guests with a perfect stay and I am glad to hear we provided you with a great experience. We hope to welcome you back during your future trips to Solana Beach.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

This has been one of our favorite getaways for years, but our last stay will cause us to reconsider. We always splurge for the large rooms with the in-room Jacuzzi.
The positives: good walkable location near the Cedros design district and many restaurants. The beach is walkable, although the nearest access is a fairly long, steep staircase. It is about a mile to the Amtrak station.
The problems: we had requested an upstairs room, but were told an check in that none were available. Our downstairs room was noisy, and there ware gaping holes in the wall where a picture had hung. I went back to the desk after an hour, and complained. Suddenly upstairs rooms were available, so we were moved. Not a good start.
They now charge $12 for parking. I does not seem called for in this neighborhood. There is no coffee in the lobby in the morning. You now must purchase in the Bistro. It seems like a trifle, but it makes a difference in the impression of the stay. Almost all hotels provide this amenity.

Room Tip: Upstairs and away from the road are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your continued loyalty over the years. We understand you have many options when traveling and appreciate that you chose us. I’m sorry that we fell short in providing you with the great experience you have come to expect when visiting our property. While we aim for perfection, sometimes we fall short and I apologize. I have shared your comments with the front desk staff to ensure the issue you experienced with the room placement does not happen in the future. Also, I am happy to say that we are about to begin a renovation that addresses other issues and once complete we will have outstanding updated rooms!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I know what to expect from these properties, have stayed in a few in Southern California. Clean, good service, nice pool. But was surprised about 12 dollar parking fee. Otherwise, would return.

Daughter and husband loved the pool and jacuzzi, and the cafe was convenient and open early.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Been to Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach? Share your experiences!