“Excellent location”

Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Solana Beach
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel is located on Coast Highway a short distance from Del Mar and the Del Mar Racetrack/Fairgrounds. Friendly staff and nicely remodeled lobby. Some of the guest rooms are still being remodeled which made it a little noisy during the day due to construction. Our suite was clean and comfortable. The Bistro served breakfast in the morning and was open in the evening for drinks and food offerings.Underground parking is available.for a charge.

Room Tip: Corner suites are roomy and have a Jacuzzi tub. Rooms toward the back of the property away from Coas...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
socialmediacoord, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Solana Beach. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with our remodeled lobby, central location and friendly staff. I am sorry for the noise you experienced during the day from our room refresh project. We look forward to welcoming you back to our outstanding updated rooms during your next trip to Solana Beach! If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Reviewed 14 January 2014

"I've experienced better" I am saying that for a Courtyard Marriott. For this property the rooms are really tired and old.

The property though is in a great location, lobby and the grounds are good and the staff is great just need to get those rooms remodeled and it is 5 start Courtyard property.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for staying with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the location, grounds and staff. We are happy to take this opportunity to let you know we are currently in the process of a room refresh project and look forward to it completion in March 2014. We look forward to welcoming you back with remodeled rooms and providing you with a 5 star stay! If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was a business trip, the conference was held at the hotel so many of us decided to book our rooms there too. The staff are friendly and helpful, they gave us many tip on where to eat, and other activities nearby. The conference facilities were good, however since we were there for a week, some variety in snacks for morning and afternoon breaks would have been great. The rooms are large and comfortable, housekeeping was timely and done well, coffee provided in the rooms was of good quality, I would have preferred to have real milk, as I have a huge dislike of powdered creamers, but all was well as rooms have fridges so I got my own milk.

Room Tip: Bring your own milk if you don't like using powdered creamers
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PopOle19
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard Marriot in Solana Beach. I read the reviews and strongly considered changing my reservations but ended up keeping them based on my Marriot Rewards membership and the convenience of the location.

I rate the service as average because it was good but not at a level I would consider Very Good. No option for Good so I went with Average.The lobby is updated and the courtyard with the fireplace is nice. The Bistro in the courtyard is not a Bistro...it's a bistro. You can buy items at the counter. I ordered a cup of Starbucks and a Cliff bar for breakfast. There may have been a menu but the room looked more like a nice concession than a Bistro.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the other reviewers regarding the condition of the hotel (sans lobby and courtyard). It's outdated and worn. The walls are very thin. I know you can't expect sound proof rooms but I prefer to not hear the conversations of the people in adjacent rooms. Not just hear that they are talking but hear what they're saying.

I found the beach access to be a nice, short walk. If it took some people 10 minutes to get there they must have been pushing a car. The two nice things about the hotel was its close proximity to the beach and a little restaraunt called Chief's Burgers and Brew.

I'll pass on this hotel next month when I'm in San Diego until they update the rooms as mentioned by the manager in response to some of the other posts. Once they do...I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I have been staying here for years over several holidays and during other visits to the area. I read some of the other recent reviews and I have to agree that some of the new changes that they have implemented are very unpopular - especially the parking charge - which is just enough to be a nuisance and probably a bit unnecessary. I am a loyal Marriott Rewards Member and try to stay loyal to the brand even when not on business - so this hotel is always for personal/vacation and I do not like paying for things like parking and beverages. The front desk experience has never been that great and this past time it was not good at all. The man checking me in could have cared less if I was there, did not thank me for my loyalty / even though he issued me Elite cards and seemed bothered when I asked him if there was a trash receptacle as I had wanted to get rid of my soda bottle. I was just very uniimpressed and it was not what I or anyone should expect from this brand. The rooms also feature paper thin walls and ceilings so you can hear everyone's conversations and feet moving about if you are on the main floor (as we have been a couple of times) Like some of the other recent reviews, I would recommend looking elsewhere in the area for other Marriott properties and or other properties in general.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amybojo
socialmediacoord, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your continued loyalty over the years with us and the Marriott brand. We understand you have many options when traveling and appreciate that you and your husband chose us when visiting the area. I’m sorry that we fell short in providing you with the great experience you have come to expect when staying with us. While we aim for perfection, sometimes we fall short and I apologize, as this does not reflect the high level of service we strive to provide. I have shared your comments with the front desk staff to ensure the issue you experienced with check-in does not happen in the future.

I am delighted to say that we are about to begin a renovation that addresses other issues and once complete we will have outstanding updated rooms! Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to our outstanding updated rooms during your next trip to Solana Beach. If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I've visited this hotel for the last 15 yrs. The staff have always made my stay a pleasure. The addition of the Bistro was a big plus IMHO. Since my stays were always related to visitation w my kids, the larger rooms and convenience of the beaches made this an easy choice.
Sadly, as I plan another trip for thanksgiving, I'm bothered by the reviews.The newly ala-cart nickel & dime policy ( $ 12/pn parking with no more combination entry gate, charging for morning coffee ) has driven me to find another location with better reviews and prices in Del Mar. Renovating rms is a must, but It's time to move on. Thank you for all the memories, good luck.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We recently stayed here before attending a Chargers football game. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The free computers and printers in the main lobby are nice.

The front desk staff, in an effort to give us a room close to the pool, gave us a handicapped-accessible room. If you don't need this, don't get it. Everything just seems a little off. And, the shower doesn't have a place for the shampoo and conditioner -- only a soap dish that just fits the soap bar. I guess that handicapped people just use soap!

The bedroom carpeting immediately adjacent to the bathroom was inexplicably wet.

The worst was the ring of grime around the shower drain. At first, I thought it was a permanent stain, but it started to wash away as i took my shower. The photo as part of this review shows the ring after about 2/3 of it had disappeared.

The room itself is good size, and the bed is comfortable.

The heating/air conditioning is a wall unit with a dial but no temperature sensor -- so if you leave the room with it on, the room will get very stuffy (or cold).

The self-parking fee is excessive -- there shouldn't be one -- but it shouldn't be a surprise.

The interior lay out is very confusing -- hard to find you way around.

Doubt I would stay here again. There are other well-located hotels in the San Diego area that are cleaner, and have rooms that are easier to find.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
socialmediacoord, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thanks so much for staying with us. We understand you have many options when traveling and appreciate that you chose us. I'm so sorry that we fell short in providing you with a great experience. While we aim for perfection, sometimes we fall short and I apologize. The cleanliness issue is unacceptable and has been addressed with the housekeeping department. As for your concerns regarding room condition, I am happy to say that we are about to begin a renovation that addresses many of those same issues. Once complete we will have outstanding updated rooms!

Thanks again for your feedback. It is crucial in finding our weaknesses as well as where we are succeeding. I hope to see you back in your future travels! If I may ever assist with future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (858-792-8200).

Also consider these accommodations in or near Solana Beach
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
Cardiff by the Sea Lodge
#1 of 2 in Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Been to Courtyard San Diego Del Mar/Solana Beach? Share your experiences!