“Valley Harvest Inn a clean place to stay”
Review of Valley Harvest Inn

Valley Harvest Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Soledad
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I am a 2 1/2 year regular customer of the Valley Harvest Inn. I am writing to unfortunately express a complaint, and to also express an appreciation.
My complaint involves my dealings with Lisa a couple of weeks ago. She billed me a rate of $2.00 higher, which is not signifigant in its amount, but she neglected to inform me. Later, when I tried to reserve a room for last weekend, Lisa told me they were booked for a wedding party. While I understand the reason, Lisa's attitude was offensively snide and inappropriate. I've since talked with people who did get a room subsequent to my denial.
Last weekend, I stayed at the Soledad Motel 8 and can tell you that the Valley Harvest Inn has much cleaner rooms, primarily due to the conscientious work of the head housekeeper Diana. Also, Sabrina provides much better customer support and is readily available. The Motel 8 is cheaper, but the better conditions at the Valley Harvest are worth the difference.
I hope you can address Lisa's indiscretions, and trust you laud your hard working staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kareng400Hemet
There are newer reviews for Valley Harvest Inn

Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

These rooms are super clean, so is the entire hotel. The furnishings are a bit shabby but immaculate. If you aren't looking for luxury but want a decent comfortable room, this is the place. Staff was super friendly & helpful. Great value for the price and the restaurant was SO good. Amazing breakfast omelettes! Also every room has a microwave & refrigerator.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank BirdI-Mom
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We were booked for a one night stay last week. When we entered the room, it was like walking into a 1960's Motel 6. The bedspreads looked ancient, the chair fabric was filthy, and there was a strong cloying smell of some sort of room/carpet deodorizer. Within 5 minutes my wife began getting ill from the odor. We decided to forfeit our one night's deposit and immediately leave to sleep elsewhere. If you are planning to visit the Pinnacles or need a place locally to spend the night, I respectfully suggest you stay in Salinas. There are far more/better lodging options and it's only 15 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dumontco
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Upon entering the lobby one could smell the cleanliness which carried thru to the room Great work by the staff. We were left disappointed by their Wi-Fi which was down and nobody seem to care. When I asked when it will be working again he indicated maybe next Friday [6 days away]. I had to go to Starbucks to use it's Wi-Fi. Continental breakfast was sparse. On the day of our checkout, there was no milk. Two blocks away is a large food store and they couldn't buy some milk for their customers? Cleanliness, large room size and sleep quality were the pluses; much of the rest a minus.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeachlandCalculator
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed here for two nights during the Christmas season. The Valley Harvest Inn is on the main drag a little off the freeway, with a medium size shopping plaza (Denny’s, Taco Bell, McDonalds’s, supermarket, etc.) almost next door. The real downtown Soledad is about half a mile north, with more traditional small businesses that reflect the large Hispanic population. If you want a mom-and-pop grocery or variety store or Mexican food, this is where they are.

This was a trip that took me to both sides of Pinnacles National (soon to be) Park. I didn’t have a reservation, but business was fairly slow and I had no trouble getting a room and then moving when the original one wasn’t to my liking. Soledad is the gateway town for West Pinnacles. The Mission Soledad (Nuestra Señora de la Soledad, named for Our Lady of Sorrows) is a few miles away at the next freeway exit south. This was a good location for visiting these places and exploring around Greenfield and King City (I know, you’re wondering who explores around Greenfield and King City. I think Huell Howser would have had a good time.) For winery enthusiasts, several are nearby.

The reason I wanted to switch rooms was that I was first given a ground-floor room with a sliding glass door facing the parking lot, which I don’t prefer for security reasons. There wasn’t a patio, partition, or any other amenity there, just the glass door looking out onto the row of parked cars. I was able to move to an upstairs room in the inner court, which felt more secure and was quieter.

This is a good choice in a small town that is not exactly a hotbed of tourist activity. The large room had a queen bed; a sitting area with a couch, lamps, coffee table, TV, and desk; and a microwave and fridge. The wi-fi was erratic, possibly because of the stormy weather. A nice touch here is one that motels should have but many do not: draperies with inside sheer curtains, so occupants can open the drapes to let in some light without being on view to everyone passing by.

All the staff that I saw were friendly and cheerful, and the desk personnel were always efficient and courteous.

I used the small exercise room a couple of times because the weather that week was extremely stormy, with rain maybe half the time and often very heavy (I didn't do a lot of heavy-duty hiking at the Pinnacles either.) Other amenities include a pool and Jacuzzi, laundry, computer in the lobby for guests, a few books in the lobby (probably left by guests), and breakfast in the morning which included cold cereal, oatmeal, pastries, toast, fruit, and beverages. For larger appetites or other meals, the Windmill Restaurant on the same property, which I first visited on a different trip in November, has an extensive BLD menu. It’s normally open until 10:00 p.m. but had irregular hours Christmas week.

Room Tip: I didn't care for the ground-floor rooms with sliding glass doors. There is a back row of rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Frisco_Roadrunner
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We stayed in the Valley Harvest Inn for one night in November 2012.

Tired from driving, we pretty much pulled in off the highway and stopped at the first place we saw. The price was quite high, but we figured we'd be getting a better quality place. This was not the case.

Check in was reasonably quick and efficient. Rooms are smallish, with early 90's decor - and it shows. There is very poor noise insulation and we were woken up frequently by cars pulling into the parking area outside.

There is a small 'fitness room' and a laundry room. Internet is slow and intermittent at best and I really can't say that it worked for most of the time we were there.

Breakfast was an absolute disgrace. No milk, no juice, just a few pre-packed pastries and some dried bread. The hot water was not. Really, it's just not worth bothering with.

The area around the hotel has a few fast food places and a decent sized supermarket, but don't plan on a big night out - there's not much going on here.

My advice would be to continue a few miles down the road and get a decent night's sleep at a much more reasonable price. There is really nothing to recommend the Harvest Inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Ian_Pratt
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms. Comfortable bed. Nice pool/spa. The rooms all have a fridge and micro and there is a convenient restaurant right next door and this will be important to you because Soledad has little to offer in this area. Suggest that you request a room that is not near the hotel boiler/water heater because the noise will keep you up ALL night.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank halemano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soledad
Days Inn King City
Inns Of California - Salinas
Super 8 King City
Super 8 King City
#3 of 7 in King City

Been to Valley Harvest Inn? Share your experiences!