“Totally beat expectations”
Review of First & Oak

First & Oak
Ranked #19 of 77 Restaurants in Solvang
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Description: First & Oak is a cutting edge culinary destination. Executive Chef Steven Snook, a veteran in Michelin Rated kitchens, creates a transcending tasting plate menu. Our concept is comprised of 20 seasonal tasting plates. This allows you the freedom to create your own personalized tasting menu. We recommend a four-five course tasting menu for the perfect balanced meal. Chef Snook showcases his talents with each dish offering complexity, textures, and layers of imaginative flavor combinations . A dining experience without the ego and stuffiness of your traditional tasting menus.
Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

On a last minute holiday, we booked into the attached Mirabelle Inn, and had dinner at First and Oak. What we stumbled into was a Michelin star quality restaurant that surprised and delighted with every dish!

The dishes are all prepared as small plates (American point of view) so you can pick your own tasting menu style dinner. My wife and I shared eight plates between us. Each dish was packed with flavor. From the first delicious bread (sourdough wheat with rosemary) we knew it would be a special meal.

Highlights included the kimchi crackling, the lobster bisque and the mushroom risotto. We echo the thoughts of Crystal, our delightful waitress, why oh why can't we have this every night?

The duck breast was tasty, as was the prawn with its spicy cucumber accompaniment. We also had the pear dessert, which was novel in design, but not as flavor filled as the rest of the meal.

We would not hesitate to come back or recommend First & Oak to our friends. ( It's probably the best reason to come to Solvang. )

Reviewed 10 December 2016

This place was phenomenal. The quaint and classy style was a nice welcoming to this wonderful restaurant off the beaten path in Solvang. Staci, our server, was extremely personable and very knowledgeable about the local ingredients and wines they were currently serving. The food was mouth-watering and with every bite I said it was the best bite of whatever was on my fork at the time (Lobster Bisque, Lamb, Tuna, Duck) that I've ever had. I'm so glad I found this place and it will be my new go to spot whenever I'm in Solvang. Staci, you were amazing!

Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

If you like tasting menus like I do, you'll love the menu structure where you construct your own sequence of dishes. Like any tasting menu, its pricey, but that's the cost for the freshest, most competantly prepared and deliciously artistic food.

The room is a comfortable, cozy retreat where my waiter, Stacey, took the best care to describe the menu and wine, and was attentive in all ways.

The wine by the glass is limited to one winery's offerings, but both wines I sampled were great.

This may very well be the best place in the region to eat, in fact, it can compete against larger markets as well. If you're a foodie, its worth a special trip to try it out!

I enjoyed my dinner so much, I came back the next night and treated myself to an entirely different and scrumptious tasting menu.

1  Thank Alice R
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Husband and I went for our anniversary. Wonderful, unique food choices. The scallops were amazing and the wine superb. Service was excellent, although perhaps pushed a little too much about getting a choice from each category.

Reviewed 18 November 2016 via mobile

I was so impressed with this place! It was a little off the beaten path, we would have never seen it or known to go there but it's way worth the extra few steps. Cozy and modern. The food had texture, flavor, and was unique. Great price for the ambience, service, and overall culinary experience. We ordered the set menu my favorite was the Lobster bisque: heaven. A strong seafood flavor and had crunchy bites, creamy salty bites, and fresh lobster meat.
We did wine pairings too and they were amazing. Couldn't say enough good things.