“A little sprucing up is needed but the staff is perfect and the location great!”

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 18 June 2012

It was our first visit to Solvang so we didn't know the area and though I read reviews, I just could not get the feel for the hotels. I was looking for something less expensive as everything is fairly pricey in Solvang area. First of all the staff was wonderful, very accomodating from the beginning on making reservations, helping us with a Pac n Play for the baby and just friendly. Secondly the location was perfect - walk to everywhere and in the heart of everything plus convenient parking onsite. I would try and get a room on the second floor maybe above the office area. The third floor was very quiet except for the young couple next door fighting til all hours (not my family). But the elevators do not go to the 3rd floor and getting there involved lots of steps and creaky ones too. The overall appearance of the hotel probably could stand some sprucing up - it seems to be rather old but it is quaint! Our rooms were large and clean though again new soft goods and carpet especially might help. We had a room with a large step in the middle of the room and husband fell off of it within 5 minutes of us checking in. He landed on his fat wallet and didn't hurt himself. I'm joking about the wallet being fat, but it saved his hip, we think. I just hope the ceiling plaster didn't hit the folks in the room below us. We luckily had taken that room instead of giving it to our son's family with the new baby. I had the mother's intuition that someone was going to take a tumble and didn't want the family holding the baby going down. If I had wanted to spend more money, I would suggest the "new" area or cottages. A couple of the cottages are freestanding and are situated around a lovely pond and gorgeous landscaping. As far as the inclusive breakfast, it was okay. Two kinds of cereal, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffles, good coffee and lots of pastries. Solvang is a pastry lovers dream town. I'd go back but definitely would consider the second floor or the cottages.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank zinniaqueen
Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed 10 June 2012

The hotel has a mix of rooms and cottages, We stayed in a king bed room. Disclaimer - our other friends didn't complain about their rooms - not sure if they were better or they are just less picky than me.

- Location is good - walkable to the main streets and restaurants. Plenty of parking.
- Staff was very friendly and helpful.
- Noise: On the plus-side, it is off the main road (but still close to everything) so quiet in terms of street noise, but we found the hotel noisy in the morning. We were in room 102, which was in the main court area and across from breakfast room. There are cobble-stone pavers outside, as well as wooden steps outside some doors. This means that everyone checking in and out is clump-clumping (and talking) as they walk by your room. The housekeeping staff also started relatively early (9 AM) on projects such as steam-cleaning carpets, which are not quiet, which we could hear.
- The decor of the room was fine (new, modern bedding), but needed better lighting (espeically in room 102, which, being in the middle of everything, you had to keep the blinds closed for privacy).
- The mattress could have been firmer...
- I personally enjoy a sink outside the bathroom, as it makes getting ready easier. Some people might find this off-putting.
- Room 102 has a raised floor in part of the room. Although there is a night-light, this might be problemmatic for the elderly.
- The bathroom was tiny and moldy-smelling. I think (although I'm not positive...the hotels are running together) that the shower head was only about 5.5-feet high, a problem if you're tall.
- Breakfast: Other people raved - I found it sub-par, and just average compared to a chain hotel breakfast (such as Hampton Inn). The eggs were watery, they ran out of yogurt, the waffles were frozen (even after one shot in the toaster). I don't drink coffee but my friends said it was so bad that they walked to a local shop. They also ran out of hot water (for tea) and the kitchen staff could not be found to replace it.
- Gym: looked a bit dull and dreary.

In summary - I didn't choose the hotel, so I'm not sure how it compares against others that are similarly priced. That being said, I'd do more homework before going back.

Room Tip: I would probably avoid all ground-floor rooms if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We booked this hotel because a friend was getting married nearby. The rate was good, but the hotel feels like it is being held together with duct tape and wire. The room was musty, and no windows opened. This was a shame, because the room was too warm, even though outside it was fresh and cool. Turning on the a/c was impossible, becasue the room air conditioner was very noisy, and there was no overhead fan. The breakfast, which was included, was greasy sausage patties and scrambled eggs and cereal, and bad coffee. The smell of the cooking sausage permeated our room from about 6am on, which made for some queasy wakeups.
The little workout room was also musty, with no ventilation. The sound insulation is almost non-existent. We heard footsteps above us, showers on both sides, and outside, people ascending and descending the staircase sounded like they were right in the room. Very noisy.
The only thing we liked was the space in the room, and the good bed. But the bare spots on the walkways, and the dry rot on the staircases made this place feel like it was one step away from a tear-down. If you have a family, and price is an issue, this is a good place. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't choose 216; overhead noise and stairway noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I thought this Inn was everything thing I had hoped it to be except for a few issues.The room we stayed in was on the 3rd floor upon opening the door there was this horrible musty smell.that just did not go away.The room was decorated nicely.The shower was a little akward because it was built into a dormer so I always feltlike I was going to hit my head but it was done up nicely.We could not operate the TV on the first night.Day 2 the staff came up to fix it.We did not have breakfast on the premises which was included in the rate.They had an outdoor fireplace with cozy seating.Our room also had a fireplace.The rug in the room was severly warn out and water damage to the windows which probably explained the smell.Would I recommend this place? Yes,but maybe not on the 3rd floor.The staff was always pleasant and helpful.It is located perfectly to everything around Solvang.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get a room on floor 3.The elevator only goes up to 2 then you will have to hoof...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We pre-booked a luxury wine tour through the Wine Valley Inn. We received confirmation via email and upon check in, but when Saturday rolled around....no limo!! Francis was working the front desk (alone) and after many, many phone calls ( it was obvious) that a private wine tour on a beautiful Saturday in Solvang was out of the question. Francis did not give up and eventually was able to find us a driver with a mini-van. (no limo, no picnic lunch and we paid for our own tastings, but a driver just the same!!)
We were disappointed and upset but really there was no other choice. This mistake was most unfortunate, but honestly, could happen anywhere. What sets the Wine Valley Inn apart from other properties was the handling of the situation. Francis was excellent and although the general manager was not present, Francis made sure that she was well aware of the situation.
Before we left the hotel, the price of the wine tour was removed from our bill and other adjustments were made. We were contacted by the general manager 1 day after our return home and further adjustments were made; as well as a gift certificate issued for a free upgrade next time in Solvang!! The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful and we will return to the Wine Valley Inn next time in wine country.
The hotel offers great outdoor areas and a wonderful buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank frostydog
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was our 2nd stay at the wine valley inn (we came with a group) and the rooms were about the same but the service was worse, and this was on many levels. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to everything in Solvang, the rooms are hit or miss, but overall nice. The entire hotel is quite quirky with weird stairways, it seemed everyone in the group had issues with bright lights outside the hotel windows, making sleeping awkward (waking up un sure of the time). The hotel is also in desperate need of repair (ie. dry rot, chipping paint etc). All this being said it was the service that will make me question a 3rd stay. Our room was lacking an ironing board which we requested and never received (we borrowed from a friend in another room), the gal at the front desk misquoted a taxi fair by almost 200% which we of course didn't realize until we reached our distination, and lastly the woman pouring wine during the wine and cheese our was incredible, she knew nothing about wine even stating to one guest "I know it comes in a pretty bottle" but worse she was rude, she stormed out to us when we were on the patio enjoying a bottle of our own wine reprimanding us that she would be charging us a corkage fee. She reprimanded us like a mother to a young child, mind you she did nothing to deserve a corkage fee (she didn't open it or provide the glasses) nor did it state anywhere that a corkage was applicable. In all fairness we got a discount for the troubles with the cab fair as they realized it was their mistake but overall this didn't make up for some of the other short comings.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank kfitzy7
wine valley inn, General Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear kfitzy7,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I am sorry to learn you did not have the same experience most of our guests do and will work with our team to ensure the maintenance and customer service issues are addressed and resolved immediately. I would like to speak to you personally regarding the details of your stay so please contact me at your convenience at 805-688-2111; I look forward to hearing from you.
Sandra Hallmann

Reviewed 22 April 2012

Breakfast was the best aspect of our stay. Usually, in my opinion, hotel buffet breakfasts are mediocre at best with dry, overcooked imitation scrambled eggs & limp bacon. Wine Valley Inn's buffet featured hash browns, sausage patties, & fluffy scrambled eggs - all perfectly cooked. They also offered the usual Continental Breakfast fare, such as healthy cereals, breads, pastries, fruit, yogurt & juices.

• Stayed: April 2012