“Very Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Very Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I grew up in Solvang, but I hadn't been back in over fifteen years. I chose the Wine Valley Inn because of its location--all I had to do was park my car and walk almost anywhere I wanted to go. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfast room and complimentary breakfast were great, and my room was comfortable and private (I booked a Queen Clock Tower room). The other guests were quiet and I enjoyed sitting by the outside fireplace talking with a couple of people and enjoying the wine. The room I was in was clean, but it could use new carpeting and window treatments. My only real complaint was the internet connection. It was so slow, it was unusable, which was difficult when I had work to do in the evenings. Still, it's a fine hotel and I'll make a point to stay there again when I return to the Valley.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2012

this hotel is situated in a quaint little village with lots of nice shops and restaurants.The Hotel however is in desperate need of TLC very overpriced for what you are getting in return,the hotel needs some work. The room the front desk gave us had a small hole that a mouse could have easily fit through not to mention the stairs that i had to climb to get there a gym is not required here just getting to your room is a workout in it's self.The front desk staff was very helpful May have to take the high road next time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Fresno, California
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed their for 3 days 2 nights. Stayed in the Chateau Standard Room.It is basically one big room with two chairs as a sitting area. It has a small closet(extra pillows are in their) to store your things. The bathroom seemed very small the toilet and sink are right next to each other the shower was an adequate size. A mini fridge is available for use and their is a mini bar area is stocked with different treats. Air conditioner made a humming noise but I was able to sleep. They have a dining area and all guests are treated to complimentary breakfast which included eggs, sausage, hash brown, waffles, orange juice, tea bags (to make your own tea), coffee, danishes. I did not care for the sausage the waffles were a bit limp but I did not care for their eggs at all they tasted to fake. The one thing that did bother me was that I had to CALL IN for room service I assumed that since I was staying 2 nights they would automatically service my room and change the sheets(you have to place a card on your bed stating you want the sheets to be changed). I got back at 4:45pm the second day their and was surprised to see my room was in the same state that I had left it. I had to call the service desk and they sent some one over(they told me they were just about to leave). When I got their I received a envelope full of discounts and wine offers. Since I was alone for 2 days I was only able to enjoy one wine offer I had nobody else with me and I didn't want to get to tipsy to drive.
I headed over to Buttonwood Farm for a wine tasting of ... I believe it was 10 wines I lost count(it was more than 5 I know that for sure) and kept the crystal stem glass all for Free. The flyer from Wine Valley Inn included a Free wine tasting at Buttonwood and a discount on the merchandise and wine, I want to say the discount was either 25% or 50% . I bought their 2010 Buttonwood Sauvignon Blanc and the total amount I spent their was $10.
Everything I did in Solvang, excluding going to Buttonwood, was done on foot since everything is so accessible. One suggestion I would give to anyone going their would be that even if you are on a budget don't go and eat something you usually would, you are in a new place try some new food. I made the mistake of tying to be cheap and paid for it( I got a SANDWICH that cost me $10, a sandwich that I could have very well made at home.) So when your there consider what you usually pay when you go out and try to keep to that same budget. One thing I regret not buying while I was their is the pastries, they look good and are. If you ask nicely they'll even give you a sample. This trip is of for a Family with older children since their are not many things for a young child to enjoy. But I think it its ideal for a couple since most everything is amid at couples. Not really well for a Solo traveler you get boarded pretty fast since it is a small town and in 1 day you can finish looking at it.
All in all my trip to Solvang was ok it was a nice place to relax. I would stay at Wine Valley Inn again if the price does not increase dramatically. I booked in advance and got the room for $72/night.
One last note on the first day me and my sister were taking photos and she climbed up the stair case by the parking lot heading up the clock tower, she noted that their was a broken stem on either side of the stairs.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room near the parking lot in the morining people are heading out and it gets a litt...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lily H
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My last review of this establishment was June 9, 2005. I gave it a 5/5 and said I can't wait to come back. At that time I was on a business trip and always found Solvang a relaxing little town to stay in. Fast forward to now and my wife and I spent a night here having tickets to a concert at Chumash Casino down the road.
First thing I noticed was some of the upgrades they did to this place having expanded their breakfast area just off the lobby which used to be small and is now good size. Another thing they do differently is they have an evening wine social ($4.00 a glass, not bad) with cheese and crackers and the server was an extremely nice lady who we talked to and had a few laughs. We stayed in a basic room on the first floor that also had been updated a lot with a newer bed (Very comfortable) and decor as well. The room still had an older TV but at least it worked. Since my last visit I've read mixed reviews on the service so I thought I'll give mine...
1. The front desk clerk gave us early check in, no questions.
2. When we got to our room, we had a light out, told the front desk and a maintenance guy was there almost instantly with a replacement.
3. The next morning my wife noticed the in-room hair dryer was broken, looked like it had been dropped by a previous guest. We let the front desk know and in a few minutes someone knocked on our door with another one.
Needless to say, service was not a problem. They must have taken the mixed reviews seriously.
Their breakfast selection has more hot items than my last stay as well. Coffee was excellent. The cost of our room was $109.00 which wasn't bad at all for a basic room. I will again give this place 5/5 if for nothing else, the service.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Coder
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Great 2 days in Solvang and took the 4 hr santa barbara backroads open air hummer 4 winery tour with lunch. This was great experience with driver Dave Talbot. The hotel was excellent and location is right on the main drag where all the shops are so you don't need to use your car and can walk to all the shops

Room Tip: our room was the king bed and huge tile shower and also fireplace in the room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Gatos, CA
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Great location in downtown Solvang. Rooms average size. The carpet needs attention and a good cleaning. The bathroom and beds were clean. Front Desk personnel very friendly especially Frances. The airconditioning unit out in the parking lot was rather loud humming all night. The breakfast was hot. Eggs, sausage patties, hasbrowns, sweet rolls etc. All the staff were very pleasant and accomodating.

Room Tip: Room 30 on ground floor was noisy. Room 40 upstairs was good
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I paid extra to get a room with a fireplace, which turned out to be a cheap fake plastic one.
The room was dark and cold. Our heater wasn't working properly. Walls are thin, you can hear everything around you.
The front desk was really rude, didn't greet us or smile at all when I first arrived and when I asked to have the heater fixed.
Although for some reason they were really nice to the people in front of us.
Apparently the hotel had a complimentary wine tasting, which of course we didn't know since the front desk didn't tell us anything, they made us feel very unwelcome.

Yes it's in a good location but so are all the other hotels in Solvang since it's such a small place.
All hotels in the area are close to the shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kanin88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!