Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Hadsten House(Solvang)
Kronborg Inn(Solvang)
Hotel Corque(Solvang)
1,251 results
All reviewshash brownskoi pondhonor barjunior suitecheese and crackersoutdoor fireplacein townyogurtfairy talehot breakfasthard boiled eggsbreakfast roomsitting areahappy hourbreakfast was includedthe main streetshops and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Service and hospitality was great. Room 46 was ok. Squeaky cabinets and bathroom door doesn't close properly. You can tell any type of remodeling was was done by an amateur, like a quick-fix.
We had a room with 2 double beds and 1 of them the bed frame didn't fit the mattress so the metal part was sticking out. DANGEROUS. So we put some pillows there so we won't hit it when walking around the bed.
Breakfast was acceptable, however the restroom near by (happens to be in the fitness room) there were no toilet paper and the toilet was clogged because people were using paper towels
to do their business.
We came to this hotel because of the name Wine Valley Inn, the only wine thing about it, is they serve wine for a fee of $6, and complimentary supermarket type cheese and crackers (nothing gourmet). And they offer 2 bottles of wine in the room for a fee which didn't look appealing.
I was quite disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

We are happy to hear that the service that was provided to you by our front desk team members was to your liking, and we thank you for the feedback you have on the room that was provided for you on your stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. We will look into improving the condition of all aspects of the room that you have mentioned. We hope that your first stay here at Wine Valley was not your last, as we will love to see you back at Wine Valley, in one of our newly remodeled rooms. Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Lets start with the positives. Solvang is a quirky little town, and if you want a break from the beach and coastline, its a great little spot to spend the weekend. Check out the excellent Succulent Cafe and spend an evening at the local open air theatre.

Do not however make the mistake of staying at the Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. They should make this place into a reality TV show. Or perhaps a demonstration video for the hospitality industry, on how not to run a hotel.

The property itself is superficially attractive from the outside, the rooms aren't the best being a little dated, but are of an acceptable standard. Don't go there expecting the world and you won't be too disappointed. The owners have probably done a cost benefit analysis and figured they would never make the money back it would take to get the place up to 4 star standard. However the accommodation is but one facet.

Heres where it all started to go wrong. In the middle of the night, circa 1am, our telephone rang. My wife answered. The caller was the guy at the front desk who said there were complaints from our neighbours about someone having a party outside in the hot tub (a few of the cottages including our own have this amenity). We checked downstairs, and found both our children fast asleep. My daughter woke up as we had turned on the lights and she and my wife went to check outside to see if someone had invaded our hot tub. Thankfully it was empty.

After the grogginess of having been woken in the middle of the night had cleared, logical questions started popping into our heads. Had we been crank called? No, it was an internal call. Basically the guy at the front desk, having received a noise complaint from another guest, rather that walking out back to investigate decided to randomly call guest rooms at 1am. Seriously? You could not make this up. I doubt i will ever encounter such truly shocking service ever again, even if i checked into the Bates Motel.

It gets better. The next morning we left our room and were hit with the sickly sweet smell of marijuana smoke. It was extremely strong and there was no mistaking it. We went to the front desk to complain about this and the fiasco of being woken the night before. The lady immediately went to investigate. A short while later she returned to tell me she had attended the area, and indeed questioned the other guests who denied our allegations. When I pressed her about the rather odd smell, her response was truly priceless ... "There was some strong smelling manure out there". You know what? maybe that was it. Perhaps I was mistaken. Perhaps it was manure. Or perhaps the manure smell only commenced simultaneously with such a pathetic attempt to ignore the all singing, all dancing elephant in the room.

At this juncture if almost seems churlish to complain about the breakfast. We stayed 2 nights and took breakfast on our first morning. This was not a mistake we repeated. We arrived at 10.20 am, I approached a waitress and asked if it was ok to sit at a particular table. She looked me in the eye and said "in ten minute...we close..." simultaneously making a slitting motion across her throat as she did so.

I suppressed a smile and asked again if we could sit at the table. She grudgingly agreed. The food was truly awful. Overcooked hash browns and sausage pattys that were saturated with grease, leaving your pallet coated in oil. There are fabulous bakeries in Solvang, don't waste the opportunity to sample the pastries by eating at this property. Olsens is particularly good.

Have i got any more to report? When i made the complaints they initially offered me a bottle of wine, which I politely declined. The lady at reception then suggested that she would make an adjustment to our bill. I responded by stating "thats a matter for you". When i did check out shortly thereafter no adjustment was made; by now I was finding their ineptitude almost amusing and didn't make any fuss. I paid them in full. All $800 for a 2 night stay at the most poorly run unprofessional establishment i have ever had the displeasure of staying at.

If you want to stay at a property where you are woken in the middle of the night by the front desk, and where they turn a Nelsonian blind eye to your smoking habits,then the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages is the place for you. Alternatively, if you want a property run by professionals, who have a semblance of an understanding for guest relations, I seriously suggest you take your business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms that are located down wind otherwise you will hallucinate with the smell of the heavily manured forna and flora.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Passpatout
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel is one block off of the main street, which makes it a bit quieter, The grounds are nice, as there are some tables set up outside for morning coffee or afternoon wine. The breakfast was nice, and the pastries are of course wonderful, as they are made locally. The front desk staff were very helpful. As others have said, the rooms are a bit dated, but that is expected in Solvang. We stayed in a loft room, and it was nice to sit on the couch and relax, and not have to look at the bed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Guest R, Guest Relations Manager at Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you for providing us with a five-star review on your recent stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages. We are happy to hear that you liked our property, and that our well kept grounds were to your liking. As you have stated, we are walking distance to the main road, as well as we are walking distance to many shops, restaurants and wineries. Yes, our free and hot continental breakfast is composed of scrambled eggs, Waffles, hash brown, yogurt, sausage patties, freshly brewed coffee, and Danish, which we buy from our local bakery every morning. Thank you for the wonderful comments you have regarding our team members and we hope that you will be able to consider staying with us on your next visit to the city of Solvang.

Kindly,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My friend and I booked here because they're dog friendly. We were given an end room on the 2nd floor which overlooked the beautiful rear gardens. The room was small but clean, nicely decorated, and cozy. Our dogs were welcome everywhere except for the breakfast room, and there are patios on three sides of the property where we could sit to eat or have wine. The hotel staff was very friendly and the hotel is one short block from the main part of town with shops, restaurants, and wine bars. Breakfast was included, with good coffee, eggs, sausage, and local pastries plus other options. I also got a deep tissue massage from Bai and it was excellent. Would definitely stay here again. And I think my dog enjoyed our trip even more than I did!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages on your recent trip to the beautiful city of Solvang. And thank you for providing us with your feedback on your stay. We are happy to read that you, your friend, and dogs enjoyed your stay at our Solvang property; that you enjoyed our immaculate gardens and that the free continental breakfast was to your liking. Thank you for the wonderful comments you have regarding our team members. We hope you were able to enjoy our free Wi-Fi and that you were able to walk and enjoy a few of the neighboring wineries. Thank you again for the wonderful comments and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The room and bathroom were clean but the carpet was dingy. Beautiful hot breakfast included. We were in walkable distance from downtown. Very pleasant looking hotel and garden. I downgraded my rating due to asking for a pet-free room on my reservation. I have a lot of allergies. The hotel website does not have any information about pets. I found out after my stay that pets are allowed in every room. I was not informed of this on check-in. Therefore, if you have allergies forego this hotel. Too bad some rooms couldn't be reserved as pet free.

Room Tip: There is no elevator access to the third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for informing us of the issue you encountered during your stay at our property. And please accept our apologies for providing you with the room that we also rent to those families that are accompanied by their beloved pets. Please know that we do take great care when cleaning a room that has been rented to those families with pets as we have a professional company that does our cleaning. Again we apologize and we hope that you can give us another opportunity at staying at Wine Valley Inn and Cottages.