Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
King Frederik Inn(Solvang)(Great Value!)
US$113
TripAdvisor
Viking Motel(Solvang)
TripAdvisor
1,251 results
All reviewshash brownskoi pondhonor barjunior suitecheese and crackersoutdoor fireplacein townyogurtfairy talehot breakfasthard boiled eggsbreakfast roomsitting areahappy hourbreakfast was includedthe main streetshops and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 December 2008

We were so disappointed in the lack of attention paid to details. Obviously, management couldn't care less since they never contacted us after we mailed in our survey card.
The veneer on the leg of the bathroom vanity was peeling off. Only 1/2 roll of toilet paper--good thing we didn't get Montezuma's revenge, or there would've been a big mess. ALL of the towel edges were frayed--I have nicer towels in my rag bag. Door didn't shut properly--felt like a credit card could open it from the outside. Then locking it while in the room, couldn't get it to unlock--very dangerous situation in case of a fire. Window wouldn't shut. No instructions on how to use the heater nor were there any instructions on using the fireplace. Damper knob was broken/missing. Room was supplied with 1 2hr burn time log. Not enough for a romantic evening.
There was a decent continental breakfast and it is withing walking distance of all downtown Solvang. I just don't feel it was worth the almost $300 per night charge. Too expensive for an over-neglected room. Most likely we won't be returning and I'm telling everyone I know about our stay. I expect these kind of conditions in a Hotel 6.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Wine Valley Inn was a pleasant, clean upscale motel. It’s set back a block or two from the main drag but it still convenient, though there are closer options. The rooms have exterior access through multi-level landings. There are 3 stories of rooms but there is an elevator to the second floor only. Some rooms appear unusually shaped.

The inn was recently remodeled and looks nice, but the money was largely on surface level improvements. In our room I noticed this in the bathroom in particular. The shower was large and was tiled in stone. There was, however, a single showerhead so at least half the shower was really a waste. The showerhead also wasn’t well secured and leaked. The towel rack was also crooked. None of this affected the comfort of the room, of course. The bed was comfortable and well sized and the property was more modern and I think comfortable compared to many of the others in town.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2008

My girlfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and recently spent 2 nights here. Overall, our experience was a good one and we'd stay at the Wine Valley Inn again. We'd also recommend it to people who are looking for clean, simple, and (relatively) inexpensive accomodations.

We stayed in a standard room with one queen bed. At $149/night, it was one of the most competitively prices rooms in Solvang (and surrounding areas). While I would've enjoyed a lower nightly rate, I also feel like I got my money's worth. Don't stay here expecting a 4 Seasons or Ritz Carlton experience. This is more suited to utilitarians who need a simple and clean place to stay and are using Solvang as their home-base to explore nearby wine country. I'd say this hotel is on par with a Holiday Inn Express.

Bed looked more like a full than a queen. The mattress was average. The bathrooms were clean. All the lighting is fluorescent, which doesn't make the room look as good as it could have. Note: the photos on the hotel's website were, clearly, professionally taken. Free HBO and wireless internet, which is nice. Breakfast consists of pasteries, cereals, unimpressive coffee, fruit and bagels. Same spread as Holiday Inn Express. Parking is easy and location is superb. Walls are thin and you can hear people walking around above you, but it's tolerable.

In short, if you're not high-maintenance and you just need a simple room while you explore the surrounding areas, then this is a good option.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Wine Valley Inn for one night as part of a drive down the coast of California. We chose Solvang as one of our stops based on friends' recommendations. The town is cute and quaint, with a good sushi restaurant; however, we would not stay at the Wine Valley Inn again.

The stay at the Wine Valley Inn started out fine, with a smooth check-in and friendly staff; however, that is basically the only positive about this place, other than its outward appearance, which matches the quaintness of the entire town.

We stayed in a king bed room on the second floor of the hotel. As soon as we entered the room, I noticed a strange smell. The outdated furnishings and sink in the bedroom did not help the ambiance, either. Additionally, when we attempted to use the shower, the entire bathroom heated up to the point where we could hardly use the shower. Finally, the shower itself was so dark that we couldn't see anything. It was like showering in a cave, but in a bad way.

The staff did provide us with accurate directions to the sushi restaurant, and they were helpful and friendly with all of our requests.

I would not stay at this inn again until major renovations had been completed on the inside of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2008

We stayed at the Wine Valley Inn for 1 night during our tour of California. We stayed in a king size room with a large lounge area. It was nicely decorated throughout, very clean and very comfortable. There was a flat screen tv in the bedroom and the lounge. There was also a dining table and chairs in the lounge area. The bathroom was really nice with a walk-in shower. The complimentary continental buffet breakfast was excellent and was in a nice restaurant type setting. It was central for everything in Solvang but in a quiet locaton. Solvang is a lovely tourist town with Danish architecture and windmills and has great danish pastries. We were given free wine tasting vouchers which we used. We would definately go back. We wish we had stayed for longer.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple