“you have to visit”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Pasadena, California
“you have to visit”
Reviewed 24 January 2007

I loved loved loved the wine valley inn. I was visiting the Santa Ynez Valley for work and booked a suite at the Wine Valley Inn from Monday thru Saturday for only about 100 a day. I was working out in Santa Maria and became concerned that the drive might be too long, and to my surprise, when I called to cancel my room, I was told that I had been upgraded to the cottage! What could I do? I kept my reservation of course and the drive to Santa Maria was not bad at all. I brought my boyfriend along and we told the cottage was gorgeous...we had a private balcony, a separate private courtyard with a hot tub, a small kitchen, dining room, large living room with a sofa bed, s fireplace and a TV in the living room and in the bedroom. The bedroom was upstairs with a full bathroom. There is a 1/2 bathroom downstairs. I booked the reservation about two months in advance and during the winter season so maybe that's why I got lucky with the upgrade.

The only con is that the rooms are not internet accessible so I had to rely on phone's small screen to view the net.

The inn also gave us complimentary wine tasting passes at the presidio winery. The lady at that winery was very informative and personable. For breakfast we went to Paulas pancake house and it was delicious. We enjoyed the Danish pancakes the most. The food at Angelicas was great but make sure you make reservations.And if you liked the movie Sideways, head 2miles down the road to Buelton and visit the infamous Hitching Post. My boyfriend and I loooove to eat so Solvang was good to us. Just keep in mind that shops do close early, so if your looking to go wine tasting, make sure you get on it by 3 or 4.

Well, I hope you'll find my review helpful and enjoy your trip!

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank sugarplumsyum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
california
Reviewed 19 December 2006

We arrived and were greeted by the friendly and accomodating front desk staff. Our check-in process was quick and painless! We booked one of the cottages and it's the way to go. It is so nice to have the space and this cottage had its own private spa outside on a patio...very nice. The town of Solvang is our getaway so here are a few musts...go to Angelica's for dinner! Go to Solvang Restuarant for the elbeskever for breakfast (3 for $2.95 - what a deal if your a pancake/french toast person - I get a couple of orders) Also, a day trip up to Los Olivos is nice, however, stop at the Rideau winery...for some incredible wine tasting and cracker spreads! Checking out of the hotel was easy as well and the GM "Sandra" was nice to check up on our stay and make us feel like we were at a B&B with that personal touch of an innkeeper!

• Liked — The cottage and how large and comfortable it was.
  • Disliked — Hard to answer...there was no bad experience...
  • Tips/Secrets — book the cottage in advance! we lucked out.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank letsgetawaytoday
California
Reviewed 13 November 2006

We stayed at the Wine Valley Inn in November 2006. We booked on the website for one night mid-week. This was a stopping point on a trip up the coast from San Diego to Monterrey. We booked a cottage which would have been too expensive for us on the weekend. This hotel is perfectly located right at the end of the main shopping street in Solvang, making it easy to park your car and explore. We satyed in cabin #2 at the back of the property. The garden and koi ponds are really cute. Like a fairyland garden. We stayed with our two children ages 13 and 9. The cabin was two levels and big. There was even a half bath upstairs, which was nice during the night. There is a HUGE shower, but no tub in the bathroom. There is however an really nice Private courtyard with a hot tub. It was great. We all enjoyed it very much. I don't care much about breakfast so the granola and yougurt was plenty adequete for me. I would highly recommend a stay in the lovely cottage #2 (and the rest of the hotel looked nice also!)

• Liked — the adorable cottage and private hot tub
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Cottages more reasonably priced mid week.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank travelanywhere
CA Central Coast
Reviewed 18 September 2006

We stayed here for two nights during the week and could not believe the value we received for our money. The room was very spacious with a loft, comfortable king bed, oversized tub with shower, fireplace and frig. The continental breakfast was enough to hold us until lunch (or a late, hot breakfast) at Paula's.

I definitely would recommend this quaint hotel for the loft rooms or cottages. Also, we want to return to try the Chef's Touch Cafe on Mission Drive. We met the delightful chef who has a flare for simple, delicious food and pleasing his patrons. The bottled root beer was the best we have ever had.

• Liked — Location and Value
  • Disliked — Crazy Staircases and Our Windows Did Not Open
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a Loft Room
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
4 Thank SimpleInsight
los angeles
Reviewed 12 September 2006

What a pleasant surprise! I wanted to stop in Solvang as the first leg of a central coast wine tour. The Wine Valley Inn is such a bargain, it's almost a steal! I'm no bargain hunter when it comes to accomodations -- the hotel i stayed in in San Luis Obispo was almost $200 a night. I paid $72 for my spacious room at the Wine Valley Inn. Not only was the room spacious but everything about it was comforting and welcoming. The bed was so comfortable I was sorry I was staying only one night at this property. The bathtub was more like a small pool. So, keep in mind, if you want to take a bath you'll want to plan ahead; allow at least 20 - 30 minutes to fill the tub. But, the shower was fine, too; good water pressure and temperature control. The lighting in the bathroom was more than sufficient and there was a decent amount of shelf space as well. The room rate includes breakfast but I passed on it -- it was a cold meal: yogurt, hardboiled eggs, cold cereal. Not a bad meal but you are in Solvang! Yummy pancakes at Paula's! The coffee at the Wine Valley Inn was very good, though. I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — The Bed!
  • Disliked — Property layout
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled solo
6 Thank eastcoastsoul
aliso viejo, california
Reviewed 30 August 2006

We stayed at The Wine Valley Inn on Sunday, August 27th. Reservations were made via the hotel's website - manager's special at $64.00/night for a Village King Deluxe room. We were pleasantly surprised at how large the room was. The room had a separate living room (sofa/chairs) and a fireplace. There were (4) steps which led down to the bedroom/tv area. The bathroom included a soaking tub/shower which was great. We enjoyed the continental breakfast which was included in the hotel rate. A great deal!!

The only negative thing I found was to see the unsightly black stains on the carpet in the entry way - it could definitely use a deep cleaning. Other than that, I would definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to return there in the future. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Check-in/Out was simple and easy. The hotel is centrally located to all the shops/restaurants..

• Liked — Separate living room/bedroom.
  • Disliked — Dirty carpet stains in the entry way.
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out the hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank 1californiagirl
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 August 2006

We stayed here weekend of Aug. 18 & 19. We went there for a wedding in the area at a winery. The family had gotten "special rates" for people coming up for the wedding.

I do not know why this place is considered a B & B by Trip Advisor. To me, it is a hotel with a (mediocre) Continental Breakfast. To me, a B & B serves fresh food and fruit; does not just put out bread, bagels and frozen waffles to put in a toaster. There was also hard boiled eggs and cold cereal, besides the coffee. Recommendation: skip the breakfast at the hotel and walk over to Paula's Pancake House, much better and well worth the extra money.

Be that as it may, the hotel was pretty nice. Plenty of parking. We were in a regular room in the back. It was small but adequate and it was quiet. Some of our friends were in the rooms on the parking lot and some of the people who came in late were not too quiet so those rooms can be noisy. One of our friends was in one of the 2nd floor rooms in the clock tower building with a sitting area which was very nice as were the cottages. You probably won't be in the room too much except for sleeping and the beds are comfortable.

I would stay there again if I were in the area.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for a room at the back. eat breakfast at Paula's.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
6 Thank ScubaWife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Wine Valley Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!