“Horrible Experience”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Lakewood, California
“Horrible Experience”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I arrived at the hotel at 1030. I requested the room be ready for an early check inn. They said try at 1400. I returned at 1445 and it was not ready. Another guest went to check inn at 1450. The lady at the counter was very pleasant with him stating yes sir your room is ready. I waited to 1500 than the manager called me to the counter. I told him I had been there since 1030. He shrugged his shoulders and head. He asked for my government id card for government rate. I presented my military id card and he stated military is not government. I disagreed. All other hotels have taken my military id as government id. He gave me the government rate but I heard him talking to an employee about it. I asked for help with my luggage and he pointed at the baggage cart and told me you can use that one. The next morning I noted a bell boy helping a patron with his luggage. In addition, the room was dirty and the bathroom had mold in the shower. The carpet was dirty. The air cond. inlet had mold on it. A hair was hanging from the closet doors and the ceiling had stains from the roof leaking. I have pictures and will be posting them on the internet. I would send them to your customer service department but your website has no way to send him. I felt the service I received at this hotel was substandard and will not be going back. I have and will continue to notify my military sisters and brothers the way I was treated and the condition of the room. I did notify the manager I did not appreciate the fact I had been there since 1030 and that no attempt was made for an early check in.

Room Tip: dont stay at hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Susan B
Kamesh N, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Susan B.,

I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Morro Bay, California, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The hotel is on the west side of town, close to everything. The facilities are nice enough but a little dated. the A.C. didn't cool and the fan was loud. Super loud. Needed a lot of help. They talked about updating the a.c. so hope it happens soon. There is a very nice hot breakfast available. They have an instant waffle machine. Press a button and wait then it comes of a little conveyor belt. Everything tastes good, the staff is very friendly, and the cinnamon roles are really good. Price was not cheap at all. Solvang hotels have a bad habit of jacking up prices in the middle of summer. Way too much money. Won't be back unless they offer a better deal.

Room Tip: Wait for a deal otherwise, other hotels are a better choice.
Dear Johntrak,

We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Solvang. We are extremly pleased that you have enjoyed our breakfast. We apologize for the inconvenience the A/C has caused during your stay and we have already fixed the issue. We hope to welcome you back
to our hotel.
Reviewed 16 August 2012

After reading reviews we chose this hotel for just one night in Solvang. This is the worst hotel ever. So called suite placed in basement was just terrible. Had to move to another hotel across the street. The worst was the guy working in the lobby at check in. So rude, and was really enoid at us because his family just arrived to visit him from out of town he told us. So we had to understand that he wanted to talk to them... Really? He was at work! Very disapointed with Holiday Inn!

• Stayed July 2012
Kamesh N, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Cami69,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about the hotel. I am sorry that your review is not a positive one. It is our goal at the hotel for our guest to experience a good customer service and a problem free stay.
Our management team has reviewed your comments and will take your feedback very seriously. Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns.

Travellers are raving about these Solvang hotels

Burbank, California
Reviewed 16 August 2012

The Holiday Inn Solvang is in a good location it puts you in the heart of the village. The front desk staff was pleasant. The room itself was overpriced, but it was decent.
The issue was the air conditioner unit it was not functioning properly, it blew extreme cold air and could not be adjusted, when the unit was turned off it blew hot air thru the vents. After two uncomfortable nights sleeping in these conditions and maintenance not able to fix the the issue, we asked to speak to the General Manager upon check-out.
Now this is why the review has a terrible rating and not poor, the General Manager when I was finally able to talk with him a couple days after our check-out was very indifferent to our discomfort in his establishment, and basically send there was was nothing he was going to do. We paid $268.00 for two nights in a hotel that at best should have been charging $80.00 a night was a slap to me as a consumer in these times when being able to take a vacation maybe a luxury. At best the GM needs to take a course in improving his customer relation skills, his attitude has disillusioned me from wanting to spend my money anywhere with the Hoilday Inn brand.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim H
Dear Kim H,

Thank you for staying with us. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while you were here. Your feedback is very important and will be shared to ensure better future stays. Please consider staying with us again if you return to the area.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I recently had a business trip to Solvang CA for 2 weeks and made reservations at this hotel for the entire stay. However at the end of week one I became very ill and had to return home. The manager refused to refund any of the money! This is outrageous! Thats over $1000!
I have other upcoming business and pleasure trips along with friends and colleges and will make sure I do NOT recommend this place and will never return. This information will be posted on every travel site, and business site I can find also............the ways of dog eat dog never do anyone any good...........they will loose much much more because of this money hungry decision then they would have lost had they been honest and refunded my money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear beverlydc,

Thank you for your review. You have chosen Other Travel Agency to make your reservation and paid the Travel Agency for your entire stay. It is unfortunate you had to depart early. It is an industry wide policy not to refund the unused portion of your stay when you make your reservations through a Travel Agency and pay them. We urge you to call the hotel directly for your future hotel stays to avoid paying Travel Agencies and not receiving refunds.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This hotel is certainly not new (or even recently-renovated), but having stayed in 3 different places in Solvang over the past few years, I can say that it provides the best value for the money. The rooms, while basic, are pretty large--and if you get a balcony, you might get a decent view of the surrounding mountains. Underground parking helps keep the car cool in the summer heat, and their breakfast spread was the best (free) hotel breakfast I've had in years. Perfect for filling up before a long day of wine tasting!

Because the hotel can often be expensive on weekends, it can also be a good deal to use up Priority Club points, as it's pretty low on the redemption tiers.

Dear jlau327

Thanks for staying with us, and for the great review. It's nice to hear that the location was ideal and that you enjoyed our services and amenities. If you return to the area in the future, please consider staying with us again.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I really liked the quaintness of Solvang and we were pretty happy with our stay in this hotel. The hotel is a bit older and it showed in our room (ie. old carpets ect). The worst part though was that the AC vent rattled the whole night so I couldn't sleep very well. I would have definitely given the hotel a higher overall rating if this hadn't been a problem. The most important parts of our room were up to date such as a comfortable bed and newer TV so its too bad the rattling vent ruined my night.

I really enjoyed the free breakfast at this hotel. They also had free parking and free wifi so no surprises on our bill. Overall I would stay there again if the room did not have a rattling vent.

Dear Tyler T,

Thank you for staying with us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the location was ideal for your travels. We are happy you enjoyed your breakfast and the WiFi is complimentary at all Holiday Inn Express Hotels - just like you, the business traveller.

We are taking your observations in consideration in regards to the A/C problem and we addressing the issue with our contractor.

We welcome you back to our hotel soon.