“Good place to stay”

Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel whilst with a tour during august 2013. I found the location was ok, solvang is very small so everything is within walking distance, it did have a convenience store opposite which was handy. The room was good, comfortable bed, clean and hot water. Our room was next to the road but its a quite town so the traffic did not cause any problem. The swimming pool was a nice bonus, with a small Jacuzzi. The included breakfast was great, including eggs, bacon, pastrys, cereal and a few other options, we did go in prime time and there was a slight wait for seats. Overall I think this is a great one night stay.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank emilypeters92
Lisa W, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Emilypeters92,

Thanks for staying with us, and for the great review. It's nice to hear that the location was ideal and that you enjoyed our services and amenities. If you return to the area in the future, please consider staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Culver City, California, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Before my stay I tried to call and no one called me back. When I got there the shower handle is broken and the shower got so hot I was burned. The beds are so uncomfortable I think I need to see my chiropractor. ...do not go there please!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Lacey H
Dear Lacy H,

Thank you for staying with us. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while you were here. Your feedback is very important and will be shared to ensure better future stays. Please consider staying with us again if you return to the area.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Two friends from Orange County that enjoy food and wine as much as we do had offered to take us to Santa Barbara County Wine Country at the end of our three week visit to the USA, and made reservations for the four of us at Holiday Inn Express Solvang for two nights (July 24 and 25 - Rooms 112 and 114).

The hotel was almost exactly as one would expect of a Holiday Inn Express. Our bed was comfortable, with both soft and hard pillows on the bed. Bathroom amenities were as are on offer at most Holiday Inn Express properties, and I thought the towels were of above average quality.

When we returned to the property at 3:00PM on Thursday afternoon for a nap, our room had not yet been serviced. We were happy just to get fresh towels, but none were available for us at the time, but they were delivered later that evening, so no worries at all with this

Unfortunately, when we went to pack everything in to our friends' car (which was parked in the private lot under the Holiday Inn Express) on Friday morning, we discovered that their car had been broken in to (there were distinct finger, thumb, and hand prints at the top of the driver's door window), the trunk then opened, and a box containing five bottles of wine that we had purchased during our visits to wineries on Thursday had been stolen.

One of our friends went to the front desk to inform one of the staff of what had happened, and the reaction was of disinterest at best, but she did at least say "sorry". Calling the police would have been a waste of time, which was at a premium, as we had to return to LA for some business before our flight back to Australia - and there's no way the police would ever recover the wine for us.

While we can't actually "blame" the Holiday Inn Express management or staff for the burglary, the experience left us feeling violated and disappointed.

Let this serve as a warning (and a "lesson learned" for us): don't leave things of value in a vehicle.

Room Tip: Rooms could use with a refresh.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Charles S
Dear Charles S,

Thank you for staying with us. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your room with the amenities and that the towels were above average!
I am very sorry to hear about the wine that was stolen out of your car. We hope you return to our hotel. If you decide to visit us again I will have a bottle of wine in your room.

Travellers are raving about these Solvang hotels

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We have stayed at several properties in Solvang previously and made this booking at the last minute because we wanted to attend the acclaimed Theaterfest in town. Weekends are busy in Solvang so plan ahead.
The hotel is located on the edge of town as your approach Solvang from the freeway. It is in a convenient location and you essentially can walk to everything leaving your car parked in their underground garage.
The faux Danish architecture is similar to what you find throughout Solvang but the rooms themselves are standard fare. Holiday Inn is predictable so there shouldn't be any surprises.

Unfortunately, this hotel is in bad need of a refresh. The rooms are shabby; in our room the wallpaper was beginning to bubble and the bathroom had a moldy smell.

Solvang is a fun place to visit but I will view this hotel as only a convenient stopover to sleep; you will want to find things to do in Solvang and not hang out at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Theroadwarrior12
Dear Theroadwarrior12,

I’m disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.
Arizona
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is not your typical newer Holiday Inn Express. It really shows it's age. That being said, the hotel does have a few things going for it:
1- Saroja at the front desk. We travel the world and are elite members of several of the big chains. This woman is one of the best! Very friendly and helpful. When I had to make a call and use the breakfast room in the afternoon, she even turned down the a/c so that i would be more comfortable. Be sure to ask for her when you get there.
2- Location. A perfect location as you enter the town. You can walk to everything and leave your car in the underground parking.
3- The rooms are above average in size.
4 - Breakfast was pretty good, typical of these type of hotels...I hope you like your carbs!
Would we stay here again? Yes. I like to get frequent stay points, so this is the only "chain" in town I believe.

Room Tip: I would pick a room in the main building to be more convenient.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisa W, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Solvang, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear GregArizona,

We are glad you enjoyed staying with us on your week long trip. We have an amazing staff that really takes pride in providing a comfortable and clean atmosphere.I will pass this great rewiew on to Saroja as well as her Supervisor. We thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express!
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The only way a hotel will get a "terrible" rating from me, is if an employee goes the extra mile to make it bad. This is not the case. However, I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all. The location is very good, the amenities are very poor. Solvang is a really beautiful place to visit and all over town you can see nice hotels/motels which look way nicer and better than this one. Service at check in is far from being "good" without going in detail. Avoid room 141 at any cost!! I wonder if the manager of this hotel would ever place their family in such a room. I always say, if it's clean, it's ok. Because of this we didn't move out but I wish I knew better ahead of arriving here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Eddy S
Dear Eddy S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your challenges while visiting us. I am sorry your stay was not of the caliber that most of our guests enjoy. I did take note of your comments about the room 141. We take these comments seriously as we are always attempting to improve.
Sun City, California, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Boy has this place gone down hill fast. Service here used to be important. W arrived in the afternoon & checked in but there were no luggage carts.. I looked around & found the staff was using them for room upkeep (towels & such) I complained to the mgr & he said "they need them right now" What..? I"M THE GUEST. Unfortunately it doesn't end there. We drug our luggage to our rooms & went to dinner. When we returned to relax, we found our TV didn't work.. called the front desk at 8pm.. said someone would be up to look at it. Bout 11pm called again to see what was up.. new staff said all fixit staff home for the night Now I was getting a bit peeved. asked in the morning to change to a functioning room..

Breakfast was equally special.. there was a limited selection unlike most Holidays & instead of running the air to keep the place cool someone in their infinite stupidity decided to save a couple pennies & instead of running the air propped open the outside doors & a bird was flying around the dining room & kitchen. I know the b-fast is free but COME ON..!!

Came back after shopping & now they were full & we would again have no TV.. NO sorry.. NO discount.. just "It should be working" the next morning we checked out (ate b-fast in town) & went to the Marriott 10 minutes down the road to stay the other 2 nights we had planned for the area. To our surprise they were cleaner & $30 cheaper with a large pool, tennis court & fitness center.. oh & a porter brought our luggage to our room

If your looking for service & value.. look somewhere else. The staff & management here at this Holiday property only cares about taking your money

Room Tip: Go Somewhere Else.. the place is dirty & the staff is uncaring
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Christopher W
Dear Christopher W,

I would like to first thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. We strive to ensure our guests receive the up most customer care and cleanliness during their stay. It is disappointing that you did not receive that while here with us.

Again, I apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.