“Love the ambiance”
Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 71 Restaurants in Solvang
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Well I was taken here for my birthday by my daughter and her husband, they live in Lompoc and wanted somewhere special to take me and my hubby. I've been here a few times but not for my special day which was at the Chefs Table, really cool, enjoyable, every dish for sure different, a surprise, and you get to pair different wines with the meals, for instance one of mine was thinly sliced Veal tongue, different but delicious, you can pair a beer if you don't want wine, anyway one does get full, and then the dessert, yes loved it, like a doughnut filled with like a custard and those little things in there that pop, anyway everything and everyone were great, and my thankyou so much to the Chef Seth, he was really cool and knows his job, see you again. Hope people will get to the Chef Table and love it like I did, also they are part of the Chumash family Casino, Corque Hotel, the hotel is next door.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Wow! Took my fiancee here for our engagement dinner. The place we were staying recommended it and the hostess suggested we reserve the chef's kitchen table. Not only were we waiting on hand and foot by the chef, the manager, and our server, but every bite was incredible!

Living in L.A., I had originally planned to celebrate our engagement at Spago or Melisse. Once the plans changed to Santa Barbara wine country, I was worried that dinner might be a letdown for both of us who love and expect amazing restaurants. It exceeded every expectation and I honestly believe that no dining experience in L.A. could have exceeded it.

The Laughing Buddha and the aged Manhattan were exceptionally executed cocktails, unique and layered with flavor. The meat and cheese tray was the best I can recall - a spectacular presentation of meats, cheeses, and accompanying items mostly made in-house, including candied bacon, homemade pickles, and superb honey. The chef even shared his special and very limited ramps with us. The poached pear salad, pastrami short ribs, truffle fries, and wine selections were equally stunning.

They generously gave us complimentary glasses of champagne and a gratis dessert - a cream-filled donut fresh from the fryer topped with pop rocks. Yes, the candy pop rocks! You might be thinking it was a culinary challenge from Chopped, but that donut was awesome!

Sitting in the kitchen was both reassuring and entertaining. We witnessed first-hand how clean the kitchen was, how meticulous everyone was in their jobs, and how well executed each dish was. We felt like truly special guests.

Do not miss a chance to eat here if in the area!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had dinner at Root 246 several years ago when it first opened and were disappointed. We heard there was a new chef and decided to try it again. It was significantly better. However, it still would not be our first choice for a restaurant of this type in the area. First, the prices, both for wine and food, are about 20-30% higher than comparable restaurants in the area. If the food were a lot better, that might be justified, but it is not. Examples - brussels sprouts appetizer good but drenched in vinegar that overwhelmed the sprouts. Pears and walnuts in the salad good but essentially little or no flavor from dressing for the large amount of lettuce. Lamb 3 ways would have been good except it had so much pepper (no pepper would have been best) that it overwhelmed the rest of the flavors. A few tweaks to the recipes and Root 246 would be right up there with the top restaurants in the area - in the meantime, we will go back to others (e.g., Brothers at Red Barn in Santa Ynez). Service was friendly and prompt.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Given the prices on the menu we expected more of an upscale dining experience. While the food especially the appetizer brussel sprouts were delicious, the restaurant had not anticipated the amount of business for a Tuesday evening. Our server while doing her best was overwhelmed and service was not what it should have been again for these prices. This is not billed as a family restaurant. We were however surrounded by families with young children which took away from the ability to enjoy a quiet dinner. We have children of our own and enjoy them. That being said for these prices and ambience it felt more like a Denny's restaurant.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Nice location. Friendly server. It costs a little bit more of course but you'll get what you pay for, that's for sure! We had flat bread, brussel sprouts, salads and as a dessert crème brûlée. I was close to order a second portion of the brussel sprouts. Best I've ever eaten and let me tell you as I am from Germany I know what I am talking about! This lemon guiness vinaigrette combined with brussel sprouts was stunning! Everything was worth the price - so I absolutely recommend the Root 246. Go there and take a seat outside if available. Enjoy.

Been to Root 246? Share your experiences!