“Expect a 5 star meal”
Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 71 Restaurants in Solvang
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Traveling on Valentine's Day we booked this restaurant based on web reviews and weren't disappointed. The restaurant has an outdoor patio that's well heated for cold snaps. The interior is very sophisticated- upholstered armchairs, stacked stone fireplace opposite the main bar, soft creams and espresso wood abound. Very comfortable, certainly no jeans but it doesn't feel too stuffy or formal either. We ordered off their Prix Fixe menu for the holiday. We had the choice of ordering with or without wine pairings. I chose without. The selections were perfectly prepared and romantically described. A kumomoto oyster with passion fruit ice and schezwan peppercorn vinaigrette for starter, blue cheese souffle and petite lambs tongue lettuce with citrus segments, red pepper sorbet for intermezzo, glazed pheasant with bacon froth, chestnut spaetzle and shaved brussel sprouts in cream. It sounds ambitious but it was absolutely perfect in every way. Dessert was a trio- a flourless chocolate cake, raspberry jelly with coconut foam, and orange fizzy water with raspberries. All presentations were mouth watering to look at. Service was plentiful right down to a obtaining a signed menu. All tucked away in Solvang. Need I say more? Don't just drive through. Stop and eat.

There are newer reviews for Root 246

Reviewed 13 February 2010

We enjoy Bradley Ogden's cuisine in our occasional trips to Las Vegas. So it was very pleasant to discover that we could enjoy it without the long drive. My short rib and my wife's lamb shank were both perfectly prepared, and the prices are very reasonable for this quality.

Reviewed 23 January 2010

This place was amazing..the ambiance, the service, and the FOOD... Oh my god..its perfect...Got to see the kitchen, I could eat off the floors, super super clean. Great job!!

Reviewed 23 January 2010

I have to agree with the previous reviewers title "If your not having dinner here, for your sake, i hope you are at The Ballard Inn Restaurant". Very well put as the Ballard Inn is my favorite restaurant in the Santa Ynez Valley and because of that Root 246 had a lot to live up to. My wife had previously tried Root 246 and said she loved it. I myself was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews here at Tripadvisor but it was my Birthday and my wife made the reservations so that took my opinion out of the equation.

My first impressions at arrival was the atmosphere/decor were amazing. We were immediately greeted and seated and the staff is very professional. We ordered a bottle of Lincourt Cab (local) which was actually reasonably priced and had 2 starters. The Maytag Blue Cheese Souffle' was out of this world as was the Miso Glazed Pork Belly with 2 tiny springrolls. Man both of those were to die for great.

For our main course my wife ordered the Lamb over shitake mushroom risotto and I ordered the 10 ounce Rib Eye with marbled potatoes. Right when the plates came I looked over the 2 dishes and immediately came to the conclusion that once again, my wife ordered the better dish. There was enough food on her palte to feed both of us! Her's was absolutely excellant. Risotto was killer and the lamb was tender and moist... and delicious (I'm not a huge fan of lamb, but this might of been the best tasting meat I've ever had). Then there was mine. I love a great steak and I usually judge a restaurant by just how they prepare and serve their meat. I don't think I have ever seen such a thin piece of meat in my life. It was large in diameter, however it was only 1/4 inch thick... I kid you not! It was tasty as were the potatoes that came on the side, however the next time I go I will definately be trying something else.

In conclusion, I thought the whole experience was incredible. Although the steak was not up to my personnal expectations, it was tasty. But the ambience, service, and starters made up for any discontent of the steak. I will definately add Root 246 to our restaurant list of places to eat. Was it as good as the Ballard Inn? Actually quite difficult to compare but I will say that it is a "Ballard Inn Caliber" restaurant with it's own unique twist.

1  Thank wineguy52
Reviewed 12 January 2010

This is the second time eating at this restaurant and again it amazed me with it's innovation and flavor. I had the Sturgeon with spinach/basil gnocchi. Insanely delicious. The homemade ice sampler spoons with an espresso was a perfect way to end the dinner. Hands down one of the best places to eat in Santa Ynez Valley.