“Delicious!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 69 Restaurants in Solvang
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Thousand Oaks, CA
“Delicious!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

We chose this restaurant to celebrate our 19th anniversary, and it was perfect. I ordered the prefixe menu for the third Wednesday of the month, and it was an amazing deal. Excellent caesar salad & and it was the best pot roast & vegetables that I have ever eaten. I never thought pot roast could be complex, but it had several layered flavors. My husband ate fantastic Halibut with fried calamari salad, that was caught on the same day, and he loved it. Our appetizer, chantrelle and carmelized shallot flatbread was amazing, too. Our server, was friendly and right on track with pacing the meal. It was incredibly busy and she complimented us a half glass each of champagne. Root 246 was a delicious way to celebrate our anniversary!

1 Thank conejomoon

Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Are You Kidding Me !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

Go to Root 246 that''s all I have been hearing since I got to Solvang. Went on a Thursday night . Had a nice window seat that was quiet and romantic for a moment. The seats look like a great idea but are very uncomfortable.Table way to small and to short. Call it hip or chic all night long but we were laughing at each other thinking are you kidding me as we slouched in our chairs wondering if this was going to get better...well it didn't. Our tall male waiter was horrible and lacked any type of communication skills what so ever. He was non existant throughout the night. We ordered a cheese plate which was fine. The Food. Not much to choose from. I ordered the seafood cioppino. Lacked in everything. The whole dish was bathed in salt and the broth was very watery with zero flavor. My wife had the $30.00 fried chicken and corn on the cobb. We should have saved our $$ and went to Knott's for some real food.We sat for 20 min waiting for the check which made it more difficult to part with the $150.00 tab. The best part of the meal... the Clos Pepe' Syrah and us walking out the door and knowing I will never return.

1 Thank VegasVandy65
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“amazing - a thoroughly chic and swept up joint in sleepy old Solvang”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2010

The sort of dining experience you would expect from the best in LA, San Diego or similar - not a sleepy small town, albeit in the heart of Santa Barbara wine country. Sadly dining alone so didn't get the best of the experience but couldn't fault food, wine or service. An imaginative menu served with style and matched by chic surroundings. Not cheap, but quality rarely is.

Carmel Valley, California
“Best meal ever in California”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

Best meal ever in California: In Solvang? Yup. A Bradley Ogden place owned by the Chumash Indians. Off the charts fun, inventive, competent, beautiful. I am a high end professional chef and would be thrilled if I or my staff could match the recipes and dishes we tried. And the place is cheap! Four courses, champagne, wines, Calvados, coffee, nice tip......$200 for two. Could have been double and we would still have loved it. Well worth a field trip: For us a 3hr drive with a gorgeous $139 hotel next door. A no-brainer.

1 Thank movrmike
Southern California
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

We have followed Bradley Ogden's career since his days at Campton Place in San Francisco. Being near Solvang, we couldn't resist a detour to Root 246, one of his newer endeavors. It didn't disappoint. The physical space is nice in that the tables/booths are spaced adequately to allow for privacy and a sense of elegance without formality. Our food could be best described as comfort food reinvented to appeal to both foodies and more proletarian tastes. I could probably happily live on the tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwich. The soup was superb with hints of anise and other spices which paired perfectly with the toasty smokiness of the accompanying cheese sandwich. Yum!

I had a few reservations. The wine list is truncated and from the central California area: many of the wines were unfamiliar to our party. We requested advice for an earthy red wine and were offered a taste of a couple of wines: a nice touch. Unfortunately, we were given two tannic fruit bombs to sample. Last we were steered to the "donut holes" for dessert. Our table shared these and all of us felt the sugar glaze completely overwhelmed the delicate dipping sauces.

Despite these criticisms, I'd return as soon as I could and sample more from the menu.