“nice location .... nice staff ....”

Solvang Inn and Cottages
Ranked #6 of 7 Solvang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We stayed here overnight on our way to Barstow from San Francisco. I made a reservation online and called to let them know we were arriving late. The lady I spoke with arranged an envelope with the keys, room number and map of the property and placed it on the door. I'm impressed with the simplicity of the 'check in process'. No fuzz at all.

Breakfast that goes with the room is a pastry and coffee/milk/tea at Olsen's, the bakery right in front of the place.

The room is a bit stuffy and the heating unit had a strange smell when turned on. Bathroom is clean and not smelly.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Michele F

Reviewed 2 September 2012

After driving several hours on our return from San Francisco, we finally decided we had reached our limit and didn't want to deal with rush hour L.A traffic on a Friday night. The answer was a night in the great town of Solvang. We'd get an extra vacation day and I could visit my favorite breakfast restaurant Paula's Pancake House. With no reservations, we started checking local hotels. We found they were all booked due to this being a car show weekend in town. The only rooms available were at the Solvang Inn,so that's where we will stay. The lady at the desk was very nice at stated that we were getting a no smoking room. When we first entered the room I was struck with what smelled like stale smoke, despite the no smoking sign on the door. We were stuck with what seemed to be the last room in town. The room was extremely small and dark (room 101). I decided to take a quick rest before exploring town so I streched out on a most uncomfortable bed and nodded off. I awoke with an allergy like headache. It was a hot day and we had been running the AC. I wiped my hand over the AC grill and a heavy layer of dust fell off. This dust plus the stale smoke like smell which seemed to permeate the heavy old drapes was making it difficult to breath. We turned off the AC, opened both windows and left for a walk. The room seemed somewhat better after it cooled down. This is a cute motel, located in a great location, but it does need a DEEP cleaning. The owner needs to clean the carpets and must clean or preferably remove the heavy, smelly old drapes that retain the smell. If the manager reads this review they need only to inspect the room and smell the drapes to see what I mean.

Room Tip: Don't book room #101.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ragsdad
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We arrived in Solvang in the evening and were looking for a place to stay for 4 people as we were tired of driving. We got the family suite which was perfect. 2 bedrooms with a bathroom in between. This way our teenage girls didn't have to share a bed as there are 2 queen beds in one room and a king in the other.So we had twice the room for the price of a regular hotelroom! In the morning we got a pastry and tea at the bakery across the street.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wfamily3233
Reviewed 19 July 2012

What a wonderful inn. We have been here many times over the years and it is just so wonderful to come to such a nice and clean place. The staff is excellent the grounds are amazing kept and rooms are so clean and refreshing. We get to enjoy a wonderful pastry and coffee each morning, a beautiful pool area with a heated pool and jacuzzi. This is our go to place every time we visit the Solvang area and it will be every time.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sunshine62012
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed here because was the only place we could find that would allow a one night stay over the holiday weekend. My wife made us pack our own clean sheets from home. I rolled my eyes at that one more than once. But she was right. I thought that was just an east coast thing. Even with our own sheets I ended up w/ a few bed bug bites.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank LevyAdam18
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed there once and that was enough. Had the second floor room above the managers enterance. Large rooms, but in need of major updating. There's better places to say in the area with the same price point.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank RobboLA818
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed in a room in the back of the Inn not one of the cottages. The bed was as hard as a rock. A new mattresses was very much needed. The carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. Cheap thin bed sheets. Thin towels. The door to get in the hotel room was broken and we had to work hard to get the key to open the door to open it. I learned that you only get what you pay for and I would never pay for this again.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is quiter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple