“Good service, good coffee.”

Birkholm's Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #3 of 11 Dessert in Solvang
Price range: US$3 - US$39
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: OUR STORY Birkholm's Bakery was founded by Carl "Cookie" Sr. and Charlotte Birkholm in 1950. Birkholm's has been family owned, passed from generation to generation for over 65 years. In 1980, Carl Jr. and Elizabeth Birkholm stepped in to carry on the tradition of baking in Solvang. Carl continues to use the original Danish recipes that "Cookie" brought over from Denmark. In 2011, our son Carl "Thomas" approached us wanting to learn and continue the business like his Grandfather "FarFar" and Father had done before him. Thomas is the 3rd generation of bakers in Solvang and with the Family, he is looking forward to a new beginning. Velkommen Til Solvang
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Went early Friday morning for a sweet yummy Danish and coffee. Selection is great, service great. Other items like salads and sandwiches on the menu...looks like they make specialty breads in house...will come back !

1  Thank jmanuo
elizabeth b, Owner at Birkholm's Bakery & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you it's nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our bakery. We have a great staff and they love to hear from our customers. hope come back and see us again.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I'd give them an excellent review just for having a selection of gluten free cookies and pastries, even if they didn't taste good, but these tasted very good. They did not have that "special" gluten free flavor or texture, they tasted like real cookies and pastries. I ordered one of everything they had and they even threw in extras for free...how sweet! They do keep the gf pastries in the same case as the regular ones, so be careful of cross-contamination.

2  Thank J R

Thank you for your review. We are making more gluten free items, so do come and try them out.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

They still make their pastries with real butter & old family recipes...at least that's what we were told! There is a difference in taste compared to some of the other bakeries around : D

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Family owned Birkholm's Bakery is a sweet tooth heaven from the gigantic cream puff to the danish waffle. The soup of the day was chicken tortilla soup and clam chowder and since I had clam chowder the night before at Pea Anderson's, I opted for the chicken tortilla soup. It was pretty good with a nice kick to it not overly spicy. Ingredients included beans, corn, and what looked to be chickpeas but it wasn't. The name escapes me know but it was a type of legume/white bean. A bit disappointed that there was hardly any chicken or beans in my soup but it was still pretty tasty. If you're a coffee drinker, they serve Apffels and I love it. Didn't need much sugar or milk and it had no bitter after taste. Now on to the other type of sugar they serve :) The cream puff was not your run of the mill cream puff as it contained a surprise in the middle - amidst all that whippied cream filling, an unexpected dollop of raspberry jam encased in an egg yolk custard. It wasn't overly sweet and went absolutely perfect with the coffee. There are several patio tables outside the bakery but they also have a couple of tables inside the bakery if you like to have the lingering smell of fresh baked breads and patries while enjoying your cup of coffee. The pastries were a bit pricy but it is a tourist town and after walking around and getting a stiff neck from looking up at windmills, it can be well worth the price.

elizabeth b, General Manager at Birkholm's Bakery & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Birkholm's had a great selection and very tasty breakfast pastry. I wish though I had stayed away from the ones containing almond paste and custard, though, as these were just too sweet.
I can only imagine how decadent the almond surprise must be, covered as it is in a crust of baked on almond paste over one of their large appetizing signature fruit-filled Danish pastries. I really enjoyed the crisp texture and delicious taste of the pastry itself without a lot of added bells and whistles. When I go back I will probably pick a crispy over a kringle and see what else I can explore; and though I enjoyed my enormous bear of a bear claw, there weren't enough toasted almond slices on it.