“lovely shortbread cookies”

Ranked #2 of 11 Dessert in Solvang
Price range: US$3 - US$39
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: OUR STORY Birkholm's Bakery was founded by Carl "Cookie" Sr. and Charlotte Birkholm in 1950. Birkholm's has been family owned, passed from generation to generation for over 65 years. In 1980, Carl Jr. and Elizabeth Birkholm stepped in to carry on the tradition of baking in Solvang. Carl continues to use the original Danish recipes that "Cookie" brought over from Denmark. In 2011, our son Carl "Thomas" approached us wanting to learn and continue the business like his Grandfather "FarFar" and Father had done before him. Thomas is the 3rd generation of bakers in Solvang and with the Family, he is looking forward to a new beginning. Velkommen Til Solvang
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Growing up, we often came up to Solvang for the day... would get a pastry or two and drive home to Orange County. This bakery reminded me of those days. Wonderful selection of pastries and big tubs of shortbread cookies to go. Enjoyed the cookies all the way home and at least a few days after (yes, I did share with others... although reluctantly - but as the saying goes, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips... so to share is a good thing- for my hips).

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Popped in for morning refreshments. Wonderful Danish pastries to choose from. Some six types of tea to sample. The staff were friendly, and were survey in a timely manner.
You will enjoy the experience.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our waitress was the most friendly helpful person ever! With her her help we got a Napoleon's hat, for people that love almonds. An almond tart, and a dark chocolate confection that was heavenly. We came back for the butter cookies.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Loved their sticky cinnamon roll with walnuts. Glad I've tried that and along with the turkey sourdough sandwich and a bowl of sweet pea soup.

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I have been to this bakery as a teenager and just recently returned after many years. I was not disappointed. Their pastries and bread are as I remembered them, just wonderful. The service was great also, spoke with the daughter of one of the original owners. She was very nice and answered any questions we had. Only disappointment I have is they no longer make prune danishes! All in all, worth the visit. Please don't miss this bakery. You will love it!

1  Thank karero99

Been to Birkholm's Bakery & Cafe? Share your experiences!