“Skip it and head to the lovely Solvang Bakery down the street!”
Review of Birkholm's Bakery

Birkholm's Bakery
Ranked #3 of 11 Dessert in Solvang
Price range: US$3 - US$39
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: OUR STORY Birkholm's Bakery was founded by Carl "Cookie" Sr. and Charlotte Birkholm in 1950. Birkholm's has been family owned, passed from generation to generation for over 65 years. In 1980, Carl Jr. and Elizabeth Birkholm stepped in to carry on the tradition of baking in Solvang. Carl continues to use the original Danish recipes that "Cookie" brought over from Denmark. In 2011, our son Carl "Thomas" approached us wanting to learn and continue the business like his Grandfather "FarFar" and Father had done before him. Thomas is the 3rd generation of bakers in Solvang and with the Family, he is looking forward to a new beginning. Velkommen Til Solvang
Washington, DC
“Skip it and head to the lovely Solvang Bakery down the street!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

If you're looking for rude service, this is the place! We stopped here for a traditional Danish butter ring. They were out of the rings, so a clerk recommended the bear claw, since it was also made with almond paste. I asked whether it was filled with the paste or just flavored. Another woman came around, she appeared to be the manager. She said it was filled with it. My husband was being waited on separately, and the clerk waiting on him also recommended the bear claw and she said it had almond paste in it. At which point, the manager (if that's what she was) said, very loudly, "they've been told three times, they just don't want to listen."

I could not believe my ears. I traveled to cities all over the world and have never been treated so rudely -- anywhere. The funny thing is my husband hadn't even asked what was in it -- not that doing so would have justified the manager's incredibly offensive behavior. The clerk waiting on my husband looked embarrassed; it seems she has seen this kind of behavior from her employer before.

I said, quite loudly, that the manager was incredibly rude and we would go elsewhere for our pastries. We headed down to the Solvang Bakery, where the treats were delicious -- and the staff could not have been nicer. The woman who waited on us there had already worked a full day as a teacher (first day of class!) and was lovely.

This bakery doesn't deserve (want?) your business.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank DCTracy
elizabeth b, Owner at Birkholm's Bakery, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for your review, I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience in our bakery, the behavior of that person was inappropriate I do apologize. We take pride in our customer service and work with our employees to make sure they understand our standers, which you did not see . Thank you again and I am sorry.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Newport Beach, California
“lovely shortbread cookies”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Growing up, we often came up to Solvang for the day... would get a pastry or two and drive home to Orange County. This bakery reminded me of those days. Wonderful selection of pastries and big tubs of shortbread cookies to go. Enjoyed the cookies all the way home and at least a few days after (yes, I did share with others... although reluctantly - but as the saying goes, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips... so to share is a good thing- for my hips).

Visited July 2014
Troon, Scotland
“Family of five on holiday”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Popped in for morning refreshments. Wonderful Danish pastries to choose from. Some six types of tea to sample. The staff were friendly, and were survey in a timely manner.
You will enjoy the experience.

Visited July 2014
Lancaster, California
“The friendliest staff with the best in taste ~”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our waitress was the most friendly helpful person ever! With her her help we got a Napoleon's hat, for people that love almonds. An almond tart, and a dark chocolate confection that was heavenly. We came back for the butter cookies.

• Visited June 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Delicious cinnamon roll”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Loved their sticky cinnamon roll with walnuts. Glad I've tried that and along with the turkey sourdough sandwich and a bowl of sweet pea soup.

• Visited April 2014