“Old World hospitality practiced here”

Royal Copenhagen Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Solvang B&B and Inns
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Old World hospitality practiced here”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Excellent accommodations = clean, quiet room [#112] with all the comforts of home [+ a few more = bonus: a mounted magnifying mirror in the above average size bathroom!]. Located within easy walking distance of shops and museums. Breakfast featuring local pastries and other delicious choices enjoyed in a peaceful outdoor setting. Friendly and helpful staff. Will arrange for lodging here on next visit.

Tips = Bring your camera and be prepared to walk off those delicious calories!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I wanted a clean and reasonably priced place to stay so I could do a little wine tasting on this trip and didn't want to do the drinking and drive back to orange county. I also wasn't sure if I would have a dog sitter and thought that I may have to bring my dog on this trip and this hotel was also listed as pet friendly (along with pet friendly rooms, they have a dog area in the back). Nice people in the front office, both checking in and checking out... they were helpful and allowed me to stay after check out by the pool for awhile as well (liked that... especially after a day of tasting and to cool off in the pool before the long drive home). The best surprise was the expansive continental breakfast. It was wonderful... from basic cereal/make to order oatmeal, danishes, hard boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, to freshly made waffles with different juices, etc... so much food that I wasn't planning on, but pleasantly surprised. The room itself... I lucked out at being upstairs in the back where it was very quiet and clean. the bathroom had a shower ( but no bath).. clean towels and basic coffee available. The 2 queen beds were comfortable. My only con to this room were the slats in the window... as it let in too much light from the lights outside the door and the daylight in the morning... as I prefer a very dark room to sleep in... so, I just covered my eyes with a pillow. I highly recommend this place... plus, great value for the price.

Room Tip: ASk for upstair and the back (away from the pool)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fencegal
Corona, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

First of all, we stayed during the week, so it was quiet. Not a lot of patrons staying in adjacent units, and that was nice. Second, we stayed in "The Loft", suite 122. It was awesome. Like a small studio apartment (without the kitchen) where the couch and tv were downstairs, as was the bathroom. The stairs led to the loft above that held a King size bed, with plenty of room to walk around, and a flat screen tv on a tv stand at the foot of the bed. This suite is away from the majority of the other rooms. Bathroom was clean, a little dim, but no "fart" fan. I like a vented bathroom, both for smell and the steam after a hot shower.

If you stay in room 122 (The Loft), be sure to place a pillow at the bottom of the stairs in front of the iron rail/brace that supports the lowest stair banister post. The wood post is loose, so the inn has braced it with a metal rail that is in the walkway between the post and the couch at the entrance to the lower sitting area. Didn't hit our toes on it, but I would bet someone has.

The pool large, but we were glad to stay in the room that was NOT by the pool, as there were loud swimmers, but it was all in fun.

I really don't rate my stay according to the staff at any establishment (other than a restaurant) that we stay in, because I don't want to stay anywhere that I have to interact with the staff, the whole time. Having said that, I had no problems with the staff at the Royal Copenhagen Inn. He gave us the key to 122 so we could look at it first, as we were curious, and ended up staying there.

We did that a lot on this road trip, asked the front desk of many establishments if we could see a room we were interested in, first, and all of them said yes. Never thought to do that before, and will likely continue with that practice.

Overall, we would definitely stay in 122 again, as it is in the perfect location, wasn't loud, didn't have to use the heater or a/c. It was just right.

Room Tip: Rooms to the west of the pool are quieter, such as near room 122.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This is a perfect hotel if you're traveling with a pet. Its conveniently located near all the shops and is semi quiet (ask for a room at the back off the street). The rooms are good sized, the offer coffee in service and a continental breakfast. This hotel is right on the edge of downtown. The hotel offers a small enclosed dog garden which is beautifully groomed.

• Stayed July 2014
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Very nice hotel in the center of Solvang. At arrival (we were somewhat early) we did a sort of ''pre-checkin'' since the room wasn't ready. The Front Desk employee helping us was... okay but in my opinion lacking in enthusiasm and somewhat slow in processing our check-in. However she said we could return in about an hour and indeed the room was clean and nice. And BIG! Wow! Very, very nice!
In the evening when we returned and asked the nightshift Front Desk employee what restaurants were still open (it was about 10pm), she was very polite and helpful.
Overall a very nice stay at this hotel. The only advice I want to give back at the person who checked us in is to try and be happy and positive, even if it's not your day. Because it can make a lasting impression!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne G
Laguna Hills, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We knew this hotel was in the heart of Solvang. We got a nice clean room in the back to avoid road noise. We had our small dog and they have a great secret garden for dogs. The morning buffet was better than expected. Solvang closes up early (especially on Sunday) and dining choices were limited. Easy access to wineries. Pleased.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank loves2dineoutagain
Redlands, California
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel fit our every need. Kathy in the office set my husband, five month old, and myself up in a quiet little corner on very short notice. I loved the location because we were able to take the stroller to all the shops and bakeries. Very clean rooms and plenty of pillows and linens. You've got to try the Solvang Brewery for dinner- it was authentic and priced just right!

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to have less traffic and are very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family