“Danish-like, but only an imitation”

Bit O'Denmark Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 71 Restaurants in Solvang
Price range: US$10 - US$22
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I highly doubt any of the servers or cook has been to Denmark. As an originally from there, I tried not to be too hard on the place, but I really think they could have done better.

The frikadeller and medisterpølse was average, and had a weird Middle East taste to it. Not the authentic stuff. And the flæskesteg (oven made sliced pork) did not have the most crucial part, the burned crispy skin on it. How can you serve flæskesteg without the skin!! My grandmother is turning... Let it be said that the sides (jelly, potatoes, gravy) were decent.

To top off I recommend the Aalborg akvavit, a strong hard liquor that is very digestive (and makes you a happy ending). Cheap actually.

Like the rest of Solvang, this place is on the surface looking like a Danish thing, but when you scratch there's not a lot Scandinavian to it.

1  Thank Pauak

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Amazing Monte Cristo sandwiches! Service was very slow. We would still go back for those sandwiches though.

1  Thank Julie L
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We went there for lunch and got the pate and the meat balls. The pate was slightly more sweet than it typically is and the meat balls a little more bland, but it gives a genuine example of what danish food is like. After 7 weeks in the US this was a nice lunch reminding us of home. Recomandable if you want to get an impression of danish food. NOTE that we only got cold dishes.

1  Thank Katherinado
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Nice ambiance in this local restaurant with great food. I always choose the buffet which offers a delicious assortment of delicacies that will excite your palate. In particular the cauliflower with mustard sauce is a favorite. Also the red cabbage with mashed potatoes and gravy is quite tasty. The marinated sliced pickles, potato salad, three bean salad, and of course meat balls are a must.
The price is high but so is the quality. Don't go to Solvang with out a Bit of Denmark.

1  Thank Coast101
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We went to this restaurant on the advise of the woman working at our hotel....the restaurant is super cute with a nice atmosphere..my husband ordered the meatball ,sausage combo plate and I had the pork roast..the roast was edible but not great..the red cabbage was very good as was the cucumber salad...my husband said his was okay too..I think we just weren't that crazy about Danish food..the desert was awesome,the traditional fried rounds of dough with fruit sauce,powered sugar,whipped cream and ice cream..I'd probably go again and try something different...

Been to Bit O'Denmark Restaurant? Share your experiences!