“Dont stay here, avoid this place.”
Review of Viking Motel

Viking Motel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 29 December 2012

One of the top five worst and filthiest places that I stayed at. All the rooms stink and full of bugs. The bathroom is filthhy like a public toilet. Book any other place except this smelly black hole of a dump.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Our biggest mistake was not checking Trip Advisor before staying here! The location is great for anything in Solvang, but we would not recommend more than one night. There is no internet, even though the owner claimed there is. I went to the front desk and she offered us to check out and stay somewhere else. The blanket was ripped, the towels are tired, the microwave didnt work, and there were ANTS crawling around, and it's winter! Next time we would stay down the road in Buellton, which is only 3 miles..

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Although we were visiting Solvang, we stayed at the Viking Motel..which is owned by a Chinese woman who barely spoke English, was very rude and only seemed to care about how much money she could get for room, which was over-priced. The place wreaked of fish and chinese food. Once in the room, it was old and dirty and the blankets didn't seem to have been washed in years. Just shaking out the blanket because of the smell of dust made a dust storm in room. And, asking for help from the maid - she didn't speak English, she spoke only Spanish. I had to use my own blankets. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it.to anyone. If you want to experience Solvang, don't stay here - it's more like staying in China, or Mexico.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jason R
Reviewed 27 August 2012

As another review states this is what happens if you don't book. I called into the reception and was offered room 2 at the special rate of $99.00 plus tax for one night. I thought this was good until I saw the room. Wall paper comming off the walls, dirty and very dated.

To be fair I did get a full refund.

If I were you I would spend the extra money for another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Gazandboo
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My wife and I stayed 2 nights ($150 a night) here this last weekend. We stayed in room #112 (King Bed). The room was a little dated (circa 70's) but clean. The bed was very comfortable. we were walking distance to food,shops etc.. If you dont want to spend an arm and a leg at one of the other hotels ($300 a night and up),and would like to save your money for buying wine. Then this is the hotel for you. I would not hesitate to stay here again. If your wife wants everything new and fresh, then this is not your hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike447
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We have stayed here 3 years in a row with our two greyhounds, attending the annual
Solvang Greyhound Gathering. The motel is in a greyt location; quiet, very close to a
large empty lot where we can walk the dogs. You get a voucher for a basic breakfast
at a nearby Danish bakery (pastry with coffee or tea). Staff is friendly, helpful and they
remember us from year to year. Rooms have wood floors (instead of carpet) which is
very good for dogs. They are on the small side, as this is an older small motel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jazz-Molly
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I can't rate this place as I have not yet stayed here, though i will be staying there this coming Friday. I have a timeshare in Solvang but won't be available until Saturday night so I decided to book this place so I don't have to drive on Dec. 24.

I've stayed in Solvang in the past and have driven past this place about 10 years ago and even looked at the rooms inside and thought that for the price, the rooms were clean and in a great location. I've stayed at some of the more expensive motels, inns and hotels in Solvang, yet I suspect that this place will be perfect for my purpose, wich is to avoid driving on Christmas eve!

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family