“The front desk person was very rude!1”
Review of Viking Motel

Viking Motel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 19 February 2009

The front desk person was very rude, the hotel is old. I don't recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 October 2008

Okay, so the Viking Motel isn't luxurious by any stretch of the imagination - but it's clean, cheap and well located.

Myself and my friend stayed there for one night only on a Friday evening. We made enquiries at a few places and this was by far the cheapest - the others did seem a little nicer and some offered breakfast, but we just couldn't fathom paying double just to sleep for one night.

The lady at reception was welcoming, courteous and helpful. She showed us around the room before we had to pay - I'd always recommend doing this when staying at motels since our tour of the coast as the reception area isn't always a good indication of the rooms!

The room was spacious with a king-size bed, plenty of storage (not that we needed it) and a good size bathroom. It was very clean and airy and all we needed for an overnight stay.

If you were to stay in Solvang for more than one night (I can't imagine why you'd want to, but if you did...) and if you have the budget, I might suggest staying somewhere else, but for an overnight Motel stay is has exactly what you need.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank mattbtraveller
Reviewed 3 September 2008

The front desk person was very rude and doesn't know how to greet guest. The hotel was dirty and old. I don't recommend this to anybody.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 11 June 2008

I was not in this town by choice. But as it was a big three day weekend everything near the wineries was booked, and things in this crazy town were booking fast. So we stayed at the Viking Motel. It was not that bad.

Prices were pretty high for a motel, and everywhere else, but it was a busy weekend and if we had agreed to stay there two nights we would have gotten a deal on our stay. If you know Solvang, there was no way I would have stayed there another night.

But with friends and my BF there, it was fun. Our room was great. It served it's purpose. It was great that there was no carpets, that alone just made it feel so much better. If you want really comfertable beds and linen don't stay here, but if you don't care and just need a place to sleep that is not seedy or dirty, this is it. Location was on the main street. Good motel if you don't really expect much, besides who stays in their hotel all day? Especially when you are in Solvang.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Quique02
Reviewed 4 September 2007

I stayed here with my wife because our car broke down in Solvang. All the hotels were booked and this was our last hope. We got a room and it was a little out dated but we were just happy to have a room at this point. Overall I thought that this was a decent hotel that needs a major remodel but the most disburbing thing was at 2 am in the morning I hear our door knob jiggle and next thing I know another family was walking in my wife and I. We later found out from another group that a similar thing is needed. If you have to stay at this place I would suggest putting a chair in front of the door. I would have place a do not disburb sign but I don't think those were invented in the 1960's/1970s.

Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank Allzgoode
Reviewed 9 May 2006

Small rooms, very basic amenities. Pretty much just a place to sleep but hey, their prices are dirt cheap and it's convenient to restaurants, shopping and the highway.

• Stayed: August 2004
5  Thank Joel B
A TripAdvisor Member
SAN BERNARDINO, CA
Reviewed 11 August 2005

We tried to stay there awhile back. The place was so dingy and dirty, that we didn't even stay. We just couldn't. My kids were shocked that places like this even existed in nice towns. The office of the place had holes in the walls, which should have been a tip-off to the rest of the place. The desk clerk could barely speak English and appeared to be somewhat drunk. The Saturday rate was only $56/nite, another tip-off. But it was a weekend, and late in the evening and we did have reservations, so we took the room. Not a good idea. After about 5 minutes there we just left and went somewhere else and got a really nice room in another establishment in town. In the morning, at check-out time, we went back to the Viking Motel to check out. The same guy was there, and we tried to voice our complaints. We told him that we didn't even stay. He got really angry, and insisted that we had slept there all night. One look at the room proved him wrong. There was no hope in getting even a partial refund. The Viking Motel is now the gold standard by which our whole family judges lousy lodging establishments. The "is it as bad as the Viking?" question comes to mind when we compare low priced places. So far no place has even come close. We've recently heard that the Viking has changed hands, and things are better there now, but we have no intentions in ever going back there to find out.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member