“Awesome Awesome Awesome”

Ranked #2 of 8 Solvang B&B and Inns
Santa Barbara, California
“Awesome Awesome Awesome”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

From the instant you check-in you know that this is a special place. The warm greetings and the special attention from the staff I'd like to say were the best part, but from the grapes growing on the fence in the entrance, to the charming rooms (ours had a huge jacuzzi tub with separate bedroom and bath) with vaulted ceilings, wine glasses, dishes, microwave, coffee maker and FOUR POSTER BED with a QUILT, it's hard to say what the best part is!!!

And what a cook! Quiche and frittata for breakfast, along with fresh cornbread, English muffins, bagels, oatmeal, eggs, juice, coffee, cereal... what a magical place.

Thank you Meadowlark for a great stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but the Pinot suite was the BEST!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
winchester
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on our honeymoon trip. Beautiful setting very peaceful and lovely gardens to relax in.
Our room was lovely, very clean and a great shower. Nice touch having some wine glasses in the room and also a fridge.
Breakfast was good and the ginger cake delicious.
Wish we'd had more time here to spend relaxing. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for in anniversary weekend escape.
The service was excellent as soon as we booked it.
We arrived late on a Friday night and were so delighted by the room. We stayed in the Pinot suite. It was perfect. We also booked the romance package and wine tour package. Our wine and glasses were waiting for us when we arrived, paired with the jacuzzi tub made for an excellent wind down after a long drive.
The complimentary breakfast was great, more than one might expect, and we got to enjoy it in the bright and charming dining room while looking out on the peaceful gardens.
We were picked up at 11am for our wine tour by Brigitte (I may be spelling that wrong). She was instantly friendly and such a pleasure to have as our guide. We visited four unique and fantastic wineries. Excellent wine in beautiful settings.
Our romance package 1 hr massages were scheduled at 5. We arrived back at the Inn with time to relax before our masseuses knocked on the door. The massages were out of this world amazing. Seriously. Amazing.
We then had dinner reservations at 7:30 at Mirabelle's restaurant. Oh my goodness! That place is so cute and perfect for an intimate, romantic dinner. The food was phenomenal and the service was impeccable.
Finishing the night off with a stroll around Solvang made for the perfect end to a perfect day.

I highly recommend staying here and definitely book some of the outstanding packages. The rates are beyond fair for the product. I was initially concerned that we may have jammed too much into one day but at no point did we feel rushed or unhappy with our day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Went to Santa Ynez valley for wine tasting and relaxation. We stayed at the Meadowlark Inn and it was wonderful. It's located outside of touristy Solvang, which was so nice. The room size wasn't huge, but it was fine with us. The bed was really comfortable. We loved lounging on the grounds. The breakfast was quite good. The staff was kind. We have not one complaint. We will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Studio City
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We originally booked a weekend in July, but had to cancel three days in advance, because of work conflicts. I guess I should have read the fine print, because it said the entire fee was non-refundable! I could have called my credit card company to file a dispute but since I planned to just change my reservation but not cancel it, I assumed (wrongly) it would be a simple matter to work out.

The manager of the Inn explained that I could use the two nights in the future, but only during the week, despite the fact I had paid for a Fri/Sat stay. I offered to pay an additional fee, to stay THREE nights in the future, if they would just let me stay there on a weekend, but they said "no". I understand their reasoning.

Weekends are when EVERYONE visits Solvang, so my cancellation left them with a financial burden. But making me come during the week, doesn't seem an equitable trade to me. Why not charge me a 20 percent cancellation fee or allow me to book three nights?

We ended up trading our two week end nights, for one week night. So we spent over $400 for a room that should have sold for less than half that. Walking around Solvang on a Thursday night, is like one of those episodes of the Twilight Zone, where a man searches the deserted town, desperate for human companionship. Absolutely desolate.

That being said, the inn is a cute place. The pool is small and always in the shade and the rooms need updating. But the trees/garden is gorgeous and breakfast really good (bean burrito, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, juice, coffee, toast, cereal and pastries). The bed was nice and firm and had a four poster frame. The room was very quiet, in fact one of the quietest nights we've ever spent on a vacation. Our place had an attached living room with a jacuzzi tub which was fun. Strangely, no shampoo or bubble bath was supplied and we had one bar of soap to carry around from the bathroom sink to the shower and in the other room, tub.

The cable tv worked well, but was displayed on a computer monitor a little larger than the laptop screen I'm writing this review on!

As other reviewers have explained, this is NOT actually located in the town of Solvang, but on the way to Los Olivos. We took our bicycles on the trip and a bike path is within 100 yards of the Inn, so we could pedal to town or the countryside. However, if you want to stay someplace where you can walk to the lovely theatre or shop, stay at the Kronenberg Inn. We would have avoided this whole scheduling mess if we had originally booked there but it was full!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Meadowlarkinnsolvang, Owner at Meadowlark Inn, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
I apologize for not being able to please this guest, but I am happy that he did enjoy his stay in the Pinot Suite. We are a small inn and we have a financial responsibility to our staff and vendors, so last minute cancellations affect us greatly. As a courtesy we offered a complimentary 2 night midweek stay in the future as we can understand that having to pay for a room and not using it is a hardship. In addition we upgraded the guest to a suite and a late check-out during peak season.
The guest booked a weekend stay through booking.com, the cancellation policy is clearly stated on their website, see below.
(Cancellation: If canceled or modified up to 7 days before date of arrival, a fixed amount of USD 25 will be charged. If canceled or modified later or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged. ) In addition we paid a commission to booking.com for this reservation which was originally made for June.
Solvang, like other cities has several residential areas than expand beyond the downtown area. We are located on 2 acres in a residential area with a Solvang address, less than 2 miles from downtown.
As a sustainable property, we use dispensers for shampoo, conditioner and bath gel and they are located on the shower wall. A quick call to the front desk could have eliminated this issue.
I would like to thank the guest for the kind words about our property.
Brigitte
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just spent the weekend here for the first time (my BF chose so i was a little iffy) but was pleasantly surprised. Aside from the fake plants and color of lavender, it was spacious, clean, quiet and right outside of town. Loved the kitchen and even the huge tub in the middle of it! Bed was quite comfy. Breakfast was a lovely bonus if you don't want to break the bank at Paula's for a danish pancake on day 2. Would stay again, heck i would swing by for some of the delicious chocolate chip cookies they leave on your bed :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The inn is 2 miles outside Solvang in a lovely quiet area with nearby ranches. It is an older building that is very lovingly maintained. Breakfast is described as light, but there was a very nice fresh fruit salad, excellent granola, bagels, eggs and great coffee. We had a kitchenette with an oven, full refrigerator, microwave, etc. You could stay here and tour the wine country to the north. It's only 25 minutes from Santa Barbara. A very nice weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez
Chumash Casino Resort Hotel
Chumash Casino Resort Hotel
#2 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Meadowlark Inn? Share your experiences!