“Good food but doubt its authenticity”

Red Viking Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 72 Restaurants in Solvang
Cuisines: Danish, Scandinavian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Massachusetts
“Good food but doubt its authenticity”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We went to Red Viking for lunch on a visit to Solvang. I ordered a pickled herring sandwich and my wife had a Danish Sausage. They have an all-you-can-eat buffet there called Smorgasbord if I am not mistaken but the choices did not look attractive to us. Being a pickled herring addict I was hoping to try a famous Danish herring. What I got instead was pieces of herring they sell in glass jars in supermarkets. Big disappointment, but I'll eat any herring on any day. I should have asked beforehand, my mistake. My wife got two good size sausages with sauerkraut. We rarely order sausages other than in German restaurants and had we not been to a Danish restaurant we would have thought we were eating German sausages. They were good but were they Danish I don't know especially after that experience with the herring. We also had a bottle of a very good Danish Style Red Lager which - surprise, surprise - is brewed in California. The bottle was big enough for us to share. The service was prompt and fast, no problems there.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank europetraveler39

California
“Enjoyable Scandinavian Dinner”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We visited Solvang Village during Labor Day weekend and it was packed. This restaurant was suggested to us by our tour guide. We actually had an enjoyable dinner here. The restaurant itself is average in size; clean, warm lighting and have a comfortable, old rustic feel. Our server Linda was very friendly, attentive and entertaining. It was a busy holiday weekend but she managed to do her job plus more.

Couple of us had the smorgasbord, which we enjoyed. My favorites were the Danish cheese, Swedish meatballs, liver pâté and breaded chicken. The rest of the family ordered open face quad sandwiches which was also very good and T-bone steak. The T-bone steak was not much to brag about so I think when in doubt, stick to their Danish dishes – why not? It’s their specialty after all. Price vs. portion is above average.

I would definitely come back here again when I’m in the area.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Always great”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We've been visiting Solvang each year for Danish Days the 3rd weekend in Sept for the last 4 years. Each year includes a trip to the Red Viking. A tad on the pricey side, but you do get good Danish food for your money. $18 for the dinner smorgasbord. I do recommend the smorgasbord with a Carlsburg and some Aquavit. The food is tasty American/Danish fare. Have some frikadeller, herring, medisterpolse, and red cabbage with a side of Rye and it's almost like your in Denmark.

Southern Cal
“SMORGASBORD !!!!! BUFFET,!!! Winner, Winner, Winner”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Old school smorgasbord..... Pâté' with bacon crumbles, herring, cheese assortment, meat loaf, quality lunch meats, SWEDISH MEATBALLS...... Mashed potatoes and a dozen other delectable items, ( chilled cauliflower slathered with a yellow curry cream....sounds weird, tastes delicious.)
I can't come to Solvang without eating at this simple locals restaurant. Same waitresses for years you can tell you've come to the right place.
Appleskievers. ( sp) with a raspberry sauce are extra but sooooo good. The buffet comes with desert items but this is a worthwhile add on at least once....

Stockton, California, United States
“Dinner”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We had dinner here our last night in Solvang. The food was very good and the place was clean. The wait staff were very accomidating.

Visited September 2013

Been to Red Viking Restaurant? Share your experiences!