“Cute farm, charming...but moldy smell in tasting room and blah wine.”

Buttonwood Farm Winery & Vineyard
Ranked #16 of 53 things to do in Solvang
Fresno, California, United States
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Cute farm, charming...but moldy smell in tasting room and blah wine.”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We stopped by for some wine and the place was very charming, farm style and a bit of english cottage in back. The atmosphere was good here except for a moldy wet sponge smell in the tasting room. The first of our tastings was done outside and the last was inside. Outside was much better. Seemed the college kids serving it didn't really get into wine and simply spouted off what they knew (just a gut feeling here). Inside the lady was too engaged in a couple to pay us much attention but it seemed a bit rude. The wines, well I've had worse quality and taste. It wasn't to my liking, dry and not enough body for me. It seems dry is the style in this area though and I've had my share of poorly crafted wine...this was not the case. I liked their Sav Blanc and I usually don't care for it. They had another rose, dry but good character. I would stop by if you are in the area regardless. The reviews seem spotty but you never know unless you try for yourself. Great pics to be taken in the back garden and you can spend as much time relaxing as you like.

Visited October 2013

Los Angeles, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Peaches!”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Went for the peaches, definitely not the wine....they are organic and tasted wonderful!! We've tried the wine before...there are other wineries we like better

Visited July 2013
Los Angeles
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Much more than your average winery!”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I visited Buttonwood for the first time after reading about the winery and farm. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable about their wines and the wine making process. The tasting costs $10 for 7 wines (including the glass) and is a very good value these days. (Personally, I'm delighted that wineries charge for tastings--it prevents many from just guzzling wine for all the wrong reasons.) Seven wines is a lot of wine for me so we shared a tasting. Our host kindly served us two additional tastes after we shared our familiarity with wine--it was quite enjoyable. Because it is a working farm that grows fruit, Buttonwood sells products made from their fruits. Also, they are one of the very few wineries that produces Ver Jus so we picked up a bottle along with a couple of bottles of their wines. We don't really care if wines are "rated", we care more about how we enjoy the taste and balance of the wines and the opportunity to learn more about the wine making process. Some of their wines we liked better than others but that's true of most of the wineries we visit. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and it would be a nice location to have a picnic another time. We heard that the farm sells peaches so we returned the next day and bought some absolutely delicious, juicy fresh organic peaches! Worth stopping and learning more about wines!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Davidsweetie
La Puente, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Size does NOT matter!”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is one of the smaller wineries in the area but one of the absolute friendliest! Nothing pretentious here. Simply good wine and quite a variety. Prices are good. They also sell salsa and bbq sauce. The hostess with the mostess here is helpful and informative. A lovely mature woman that is a great pleasure to talk too. Got to really watch the signs so you do not pass it by, but once you find it.....delicious! A must stop when in the area.

Visited June 2013
Bayville, New Jersey
202 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 235 helpful votes
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Really nice grounds and garden. The wines were not to my taste, and quite fraqnkly, not to anyone in our party. I will leave it at that.

Visited May 2013