“Taking Simplistic to the Extreme”
Review of Hamlet Inn

Hamlet Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 20 March 2014

If your primary goal is to do Solvang on the cheap (And this is the cheapest place you can find, then this place is for you. The location is excellent - you are right in the heart of town, walking distance to plenty, plus they have free bikes - but the accommodations are lacking. The bathroom towels were like what you get at the gym to wipe down equipment, the blankets on the bed seemed dingy and worn, and the carpet was questionable. Though the room was spacious, there was virtually no furniture (literally just a bed, two tiny 8" square bedside tables, and a chair along side a counter, and a TV mounted on the wall. Light came from 2 exposed bulbs hanging from wires.). I never would have thought this was a problem, but then we realized we had no place to set any of our stuff or put any of our clothes. And the carpet wasn't really that clean, so...it was just weird. Also, this place was SO noisy on account of thin walls and an odd layout. It was so bad that at one point, we thought there was an upstairs and someone was running around up there, but in fact, there was no upstairs, and I think it was just people in the neighboring room walking around!

All in all, I wish we had paid a bit more to stay elsewhere, but it is fine if you are really on a budget and don't plan to be in the room that often.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BuffaloCat

Reviewed 25 February 2014

First I have to say that I loved Solvang! The Hamlet Inn is right in the middle of town, right across the street from the Solvang Brewing Company (which has great beer!). The staff at the Hamlet was very friendly and gave us helpful tips about wine tasting and microbreweries. They even microwaved our leftovers from the night before at the front desk when we asked them to (obviously, there is no microwave in the room).

The room was average. It was a bit dull - all white walls, one bed, a small bathroom, a TV, and a small refrigerator. That's it. But, honestly, unless you're staying a while, what else do you need? The bed was comfortable, the water was HOT in the shower, and the refrigerator kept the wine and beer nice and cool. Everything is starting to look a bit dated in these rooms (i.e. the grout could use a little cleaning in the bathroom), but overall I would say I enjoyed my stay at the Hamlet Inn.

Let me just say again that Solvang was awesome! Such a cute town.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JAGSeward
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is a simple, little L-shaped motel with drive-up parking in front. There's no pool or hot tub. A hot tub would have been nice. The room had stark white walls with IKEA type furniture and feel, in keeping with the Danish flavor of the town. There was a small fridge. Shower and no tub.
We had two queen beds and paid only $99 for a single night stay. One night is plenty for a visit to the town because it is small. It seems that every time we go to Solvang there are fewer boutiques and more wineries. But there's still plenty to keep you entertained for a day.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Renery
Reviewed 3 January 2014

There's not much to choose from in Solvang but this was a quaint little place. Bed was comfortable, bathroom was small and could use a little upgrading. Location is great and I loved that they had bikes that you can borrow to cruise around town. Oddly, although the room was quite spacious with a king size bed, there were no drawers? There was a small closet but plenty of room to put a set of drawers or even small dresser. Oh and the walls are very THIN, you can hear everything.

The person who checked us in was extremely nice but english wasn't his first language so asking him for directions or suggestions may be challenging. But they were all very nice, cordial. Check-in/out was very easy.

I realize this could have been considered a holiday weekend when we were there, but definitely overpriced for the value. But again, not much to choose from in the area and they know they can gouge you on the rate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2013

For the price, this place is a steal. I loved the minimalist decor - especially the wool Danish flag throw on the bed and the Edison bulb bedside lights (but the staff should consider dusting these off more often as they are right at eye level). Two of my fave things were that all the lights were on dimmer switches - I don't like harsh, bright light so being able to control this was heaven - and also the large shower with uber hot water. Best shower me and my beau have had in a long time. The bed was very comfy and I got a great night's sleep. The iPhone/iPod docking station allows you to charge your phone and play your own music at the same time. Two luggage racks were provided in lieu of a dresser, which is fine with me. I don't like putting my things in a dresser where I can forget them anyway. The inn is across the street from the Solvang Brewing Company, which has 12 beers brewed on-site. After a few, we just had to make it across the street to our room. We stayed in Room #6. I didn't experience any of the noise problems other reviewers have mentioned. We travel from Monterey to LA often, and I think this will be the place where we break our trip each time. Honestly, I don't understand any of the negative reviews about this place and I'm so glad I went with my instinct. The day after our stay I'd already recommended it to two of my friends. If you like hip, cool renovated motels with great rates, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Room #6 was spacious and quiet. As previously mentioned, the shower was very large.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dulce_pequeno
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Room is clean, simple if not spartan. King bed was comfortable but the not much support on the sides so watch out, it's easy to slip/roll off the edge.

Location was great. Easy walking to anywhere in town.

It was hot outside, so the Room AC was running full time. Loud but not too bad.

Room window faced the main street. A bit noisy but it quieted down by midnight.

A few ants were driven in by the heat and sought out the water in the bathroom. Nothing major but I did get a surprise bite from one.

Over all not a bad night's stay and I would stay there again.

The comment about furnished by IKEA is spot on.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This quaint hotel was great! Very fast check-in, they even offered us a 'discount card' for about 20 local wineries that offer either free or 2-for-1 wine tastings! Bear in mind, there are only about 15 rooms total, so don't wait too long to book.

Would definitely come back here next time!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple