“Danish efficiency and great location”
Review of Hamlet Inn

Hamlet Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Amazing how a small room can be made so efficient that it doesn't seem as small as it is! The parking is free and the location is excellent. Once parked, we never used the car. Everything was within walking distance. There's no laundry or restuarant at the hotel, but thereare several eateries nearby, and a laundromat a few blocks away, if needed. Paula's Pancake House is just across the street, plus the hotel provided a voucher for Olsen's bakery next to Paula's. A plus at this hotel was it also had air-conditioning, which I learned was not a given on our California Coast Trip. Most hotels did NOT have air conditioning, and in the middle of summer, having air at the Hamlet made it one of my favorite hotels on our 9 day trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Super cute hotel in the perfect location. They let us see two rooms & pick the best one suited for us. Rooms are clean, spacious, & fun. Love the unique decor. Great for my husband, myself, and our baby. Plenty of room for her pack n play. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was a good close and we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were big, clean and certainly didn't smell. I had room 10 which had two quen size beds in and was quite. Was more a motel than a hotel and quite small but the location was perfect . Reception was really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Photos are accurate, clean, in the middle of downtown Solvang. It was the least expensive place, but wasn't a 'cheap' stay. Love the rooms! Simple. No dresser, but no dresser needed. I asked if they had an extra apple charger I could use, and he did, and told me to keep it! Very nice front desk, lovely stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We will definitely stay at the Hamlet Inn again if we visit Solvang again. The room was very affordable, the bed was comfy (i know because I was sick and slept half the day there) the bathroom and shower were a nice size. The room was quiet. It did not smell (i've read other reviews about the smell of the rooms). It had a fridge for us to keep our snacks inn. It was walking distance to the whole town and had good restaurants around it. One reason I had booked was affordable room and a free voucher for a pastry from one of the shops. We never got the free voucher for breakfast in the AM, but we ended up going to Paula's Pancake which was yummy.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms if they give you the option. We were able to look at 2 different rooms and then...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Although the rank is high, it is not as good as I think. The inn just means it is not so big, to some extent, motel style with better decoration. When I arrived, it took me sometime to find the check in counter. And the room still got some smell. I can hear voice from the neighbour.

There are several bikes outside the room and you can borrow freely. Solvang is such a beautiful place that you really ought to discover it by you foot or bike.

But in my opinion, Solvang doesn't require so much money on hotel. A cheaper hotel will just be fine. Especially for a single traveller, who just stay one night.

Room Tip: Book the room directly on the hotel website, not booking not agoda etc. Sometimes, it is cheaper. I...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LEI Z
Reviewed 20 March 2014

If your primary goal is to do Solvang on the cheap (And this is the cheapest place you can find, then this place is for you. The location is excellent - you are right in the heart of town, walking distance to plenty, plus they have free bikes - but the accommodations are lacking. The bathroom towels were like what you get at the gym to wipe down equipment, the blankets on the bed seemed dingy and worn, and the carpet was questionable. Though the room was spacious, there was virtually no furniture (literally just a bed, two tiny 8" square bedside tables, and a chair along side a counter, and a TV mounted on the wall. Light came from 2 exposed bulbs hanging from wires.). I never would have thought this was a problem, but then we realized we had no place to set any of our stuff or put any of our clothes. And the carpet wasn't really that clean, so...it was just weird. Also, this place was SO noisy on account of thin walls and an odd layout. It was so bad that at one point, we thought there was an upstairs and someone was running around up there, but in fact, there was no upstairs, and I think it was just people in the neighboring room walking around!

All in all, I wish we had paid a bit more to stay elsewhere, but it is fine if you are really on a budget and don't plan to be in the room that often.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family