“Fine for a short stay”
Review of Hamlet Inn

Hamlet Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We recently stayed for one night as a couple during a weekend of wine tasting.

Pros: great location, walkable to everything. The rooms had obviously been refurbished recently, with new paint and fixtures. Everything was clean except for the couch upholstery, which was stained. It was surprisingly quiet considering how near the main road it is. Bed and linen quality was fine. The best part was the bikes that are available, free, for guest use. These were particularly awesome for in-town exploring, especially since weekend car traffic would have made this a chore.

Cons: Our room had a strong chemical odor (maybe Pine-Sol?) which didn't dissipate even with open windows. In terms of decor, I got the impression they're catering to a younger crowd -- i.e. there is no phone or clock radio (because you can use your cell phone for that), but there is an iPod speaker dock. The ice machine was broken, so they had set up one of those large counter-top ice makers. There was no scoop, which made me feel a little bad as I was scooping ice into the bucket with my hands. Sheers at the window would have been nice, as the only options were the blackout curtains or fully open.

Overall, it seems like they have made a real effort to make this no-frills motel as nice as possible, and I liked that it had a distinct personality. But if you're attached to the chain hotel aesthetic, this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Molly P

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this motel the same day (midweek) to break up the drive from San Francisco to L.A. Normally I read reviews and look at pics on Tripadvisor and have had very good fortune with my stays, but this time I regret not having done my research. I booked it on the fly based on the price and the rating without looking at all of my options. Bad move on my part. I couldn't remember the name of the motel, only that it started with an "H" and was on Mission near 4th or 5th. So when I pulled into Solvang, I accidentally stopped at the Hadsten House nearby. I was impressed with the lobby, the size of the place and the attention of the clerk at the front desk. I asked the clerk what the rate was for the night (there was a vacancy), she quoted $99.00, which is what I paid for the Hamlet Inn. I looked at my phone and discovered the number I called was different from the Hadsten's. I called it and was reminded I had booked a night at the Hamlet Inn just next door. When I pulled in I was shocked. It was certainly a "motel" alright. The few reviews I read were misguided. "Simple" and "no frills" is an understatement. Not having been to Denmark, maybe the Danish motels/hotels are like this. For better or worse, I am accustomed to the American style of hotels/motels. The Holiday Inn Express in Solvang is much better. The room at the Hamlet did smell. I felt like I was sleeping in the IKEA showroom. (And some of my furniture is from IKEA, but when I travel, I expect more for the price). No phone, no dresser, no free breakfast, no pool or jacuzzi, for the same price I could have paid to stay at the Hadsten House?? Really?? Not a good deal at all. I don't know how they get away with this. I read some people like the fact that the Hamlet has air conditioning. So what? So does the Hadsten! It was good that I was only there for one night. I was surprised that on Tripadvisor this place made it all the way to # 4 out of 10. I won't trust the ratings anymore. Next time I travel to Solvang, I will definitely try the Hadsten House and never recommend the Hamlet Inn. It is not a value for the $99.00 plus tax I paid. I regret they require a 48 hour cancellation notice. If they did not, I would have cancelled my reservation at the Hamlet and stayed at the Hadsten. Lesson learned. When booking, make sure to thoroughly review as many hotels/motels as you can, look at all the pictures and then book the one that is suited to your taste and style. This may be "cute, simple and ideal" for some travelers, but for the price, it was certainly not up to my standard. By the way, all the hotels/motels in Solvang are ideally located because all the shops and restaurants are within walking distance from any hotel/motel. Solvang is not that large of a town! You don't need to use your car to get anywhere unless you want to visit the Chumash casino or some other place outside Solvang. When you are in Solvang, you are there to walk around town, not drive around town. That's part of the fun!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, not for the price. It should have been half price, as far as I'm concer...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 737luv2travl
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We don't normally stay at a Motel but we had no choice because of our last minute planning. The place is clean, easy to access, has a small refrigerator, and most importantly air condition. This motel is directly across from Paul's Pancake house.

If you're here for the 4th of July, you'll have a great view of their local parade.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Janet C
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Simple, clean room. There's a coffee maker and a mini fridge. The location is ideal in this adorable little town; there are several eateries and shops right across the street.

My husband and I aren't looking for frills in our hotel - just clean sheets and a nice shower. We'll definitely be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RKSkwier
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Within walking distance of center of town,bakery's,good breakfast...etc.
Good wifi here,clean, parking,food,convenient location...etc.
The only thing I didn't like is that the other owners used to offer breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank pwalesky
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Inn is well placed in the centre of Solvang - ideal for a visit to see this unusual bit of Denmark in California and close to good retaurants and wine bars. Room is decorated in a minimalist way - white walls, little furniture - but is roomy enough, has a comfortable bed and gives you that Danish feel. Staff were friendly and helpful. Happy to recommend this motel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Located in the centre of town and across the Street from Paula's Pancakes & Solvang Brewing, perfect for a drink at the end of the day and pancakes in morning. Anthony was a friendly & helpful host. The bikes are free and a quick and fun way to see the town. Easily forget you are in California, feels more like somewhere in Switzerland!
We had a corner room, with two beds (but you had to pass through one to use the bathroom) and had no issue with noise. Very clean and tidy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends