“Ck. out this place before booking”
Review of Kronborg Inn

Kronborg Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The only good thing about this place was the bed. The coffee pot was not cleaned from the previous guest, and the phone in the room did not work. And, we didn't find out the shower didn't work until the next day at 6:00 am. I tried working with the desk clerk a little after 6am about getting a partial refund...he was wasn't interersted in my issues and said that he couldn't help us. He did not demonstrate any "customer service" behaviors, NO sense of urgency to correct the issue and appeared totally un-interested in our problems.

A previous review indicated that this was a remodel of an older motel. Yup, got that right.

When we noticed the cruddy coffee pot when we checked in, the evening desk clerk did provide us with a new pot. Horray for him. I'm not mentioning names, but he worked the later afternoon/early evening shift. Maybe he should train the guy that comes in early in the day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R F
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

I was not the owner of this hotel at that time. I am the new owner for only the last 5 weeks. Never the less, I took these comments very seriously, met with all of my housekeeping staff and strongly warned them that I will not tolerate any faults of this kind. I did the same with the front desk clerks.
Should any of my desk clerks every act as described in this review, they would be immediately fired. They are all currently in training. I am undertaking some serious improvements to make this hotel an attractive boutique hotel.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

The Kronborg is a renovated "motel" that does a nice job. Most of the Solvang hotels have spruced up to join the boutique category and attract folks who want more than a place to flop.
The building still shows signs of its age on the exterior but the rooms are good sized and have nice decorating, fresh paint and fixtures. If you have bikes or golf clubs the room is big enough to bring them in. It has a nice sized fridge and microwave. Soap, shampoo and lotions are nice. Breakfast was just fare. No form of protein of any kind is served. Coffee is good.

The beds and bedding are very comfortable. We loved them. If you can't handle a soft bed you might not like it, but we loved it. As soft at it was we did not feel unsupported. My wife called the bed "amazeballs", and wanted to stay in bed the rest of the trip.

Downside. Bathroom is VERY small. No room to move. You must close the door before you "sit down" or your legs block the door. I never tested the jetted tub but it did have one.

The pool looks good. Not much deck or seating. The State of California has created laws that forced most older hotels to change pools and hot tubs. The hot tub is currently CLOSED do to the change in regulations. I was told they are working on making the needed changes.

Overall a good stay for us.

Room Tip: room 211 was upper room on the backside away from traffic noise. I woululd guess the front side wou...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your nice comments. I am the new owner of this hotel for the past 5 weeks, and I am undertaking some serious improvements which will hopefully make it more comfortable and more to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Located conveniently near the center of Solvang this place is a good option if you are on a budget. We got a good offer and liked what we got! Rooms are fairly large, and beds are extremely comfortable. Rooms offer tv, fridge, microwave, coffee maker and free wifi. Signal strength on wifi was at times very bad though. Complimentary breakfast carb- and sugar loaded.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Ridiculous/Unacceptable - book elsewhere! They literally left me out in the cold!!!! Hotel is decent for price - comfie beds but this place must be owned or ran by idiots. We are talking 200 plus room hotel sitting in large tourist attraction town and you have nobody onsite all night from 11:30 to 7 a.m.???? Are they stupid? I went out with friends, some casino got back about 12:30/1:00 am - try to enter room my key doesn't work - go to office note on door nobody onsite until 7 am if an emergency call this number. Tried to call number - no answer 3 times. Talking last hotel on way out of town, by freeway, dark, freezing cold, everything else in town closed and they got some female sitting outside without working key! Reached owner on 4th attempt - he guides me through entering a lockbox outside office which thankfully had a master key - got a quick I'm sorry and click. Really? I just stood outside your hotel for almost an hour, freezing, stressed and wondering if I am sleeping where and I get that. Not to say I am begging for anything but a little bit more of an apology, I really am sorry, what can I do for you - I mean that would be good business or at least a phone call to room to make sure everything turned out alright and was I ok? Nothing!!! They did have 1 employee (and he was only one with some intelligence and personality because most of the others barely said hello) who was nice and went out of his way to make me feel better the next morning but if it were me stay elsewhere. Jeez even little mom & pop hotels, Motel 6 and low budget hotels have someone onsite to take care of guests if need be!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank donmarie62
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Visited Solvang with a friend and selected the Kronborg Inn for our one night stay. We had a one bedroom family suite. It had all the amenities we needed for our brief stay: two beds, a King and pull out sofa. Also had a full kitchen, which would be nice for a longer stay. The room was very clean, appearing as though it had been recently upgraded. One of the draws is that the rate also included a continental breakfast. The pro are the roomy accommodations, the multiple beds, kitchen, and cleanliness. The cons are that we were on the first floor at the front of the building, which resulted in some slight roadway noise and foot/car traffic from people coming and going outside our door. I believe there are only 2-3 (?) family suites and there may not be much of a choice of location in the hotel if you want one of these suites. For families visiting Solvang on a limited budget, this was a good option. CONS - the pullout bed was awful. It was nothing but springs and was pretty much unusable. My friend used it and pronounced it "terrible." The hotel should invest in better quality sofa bed mattresses. The included-breakfast - not! Unfortunately, the front desk person overslept by his own admission. He was supposed to be there at 7am, but did not arrive until 8:30. The breakfast was supposed to start at 7:30. We, along with other guests, arrived at the lobby at that time to find it dark with the overnight closed sign still hanging there. The breakfast room, located off the lobby, was also dark. We had no idea what was going on, so we went into the village and paid for a lovely breakfast. It was not the end of the world, but an unexpected expense when we paid a rate that included breakfast. The clerk was very apologetic, and I understand we all make mistakes. But, the hotel should have a back up plan in the event of just such occurrences. Perhaps someone from management should call in the mornings to be sure staff is on duty, everything is on schedule and going smoothly to verify guests are being accommodated appropriately.

Room Tip: Consider a room farther back in the building if noise is an issue for you
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The is a modern, well appointed hotel with large rooms and all modern amenities, including internet, spa tub, in-room coffee, pool, refrigerator and microwave located just at the entry to Solvang from 101. Without exaggeration, the beds are the most comfortable I have ever experienced. The staff is friendly and over-accommodating. A small buffet style self-help breakfast allows you to make your own waffles and provides fresh fruit, yoghurt and healthful cereals. This is an excellent home base for the Foxen Canyon and San Luis Obispo County wine country. We will definitely be staying here again when the opportunity arises.

Room Tip: You might want to request a garden room to avoid street traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zippideedoodle
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I was a little hesitant booking here. Stays for less than $100 a night make me nervous. But this hotel was nice. Nothing spectacular, but I don't think we could have gotten a better deal. The room itself was comfortable and clean. The bed and the bedding made for a great night's sleep. The bathroom had a nice jetted bath tub that was relaxing. We stayed upstairs and found it to be quiet enough, yes the highway is nearby and you will occasionally hear some trucks. We didn't use the pool, but it seemed a little awkward in the middle of everyone's rooms. The breakfast was very average - but in Solvang you should really be taking advantage of all the bakeries anyways. It was located on the western edge of town, but easy walking distance for anyone.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs, the downstairs rooms had sliding glass doors that opened to main walkways, which I wo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple