“No hot water; no staff on duty”
Review of Kronborg Inn

Kronborg Inn
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Santa Barbara, California
“No hot water; no staff on duty”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed in room 115 on the evening of 1/23/2014. My girlfriend and I stayed there because we were in town for the Christopher Cross concert at the casino that same evening. I live in Santa Barbara but thought it would be fun to make an evening of it in Solvang/Santa Ynez instead of driving all the way back.

When we check in, the water out of the faucet never got warm. I thought I had just simply not run the tap long enough, but I didn't want to waste too much water so I didn't really try to get the hot water hot.

In the morning, I had to get up early for work in Santa Barbara. I started to run the shower, but the water never got warm. It finally dawned on me that the room never had any hot water. I called the front desk but no one answered. I got dressed and walked to the lobby but it was closed and the sign said it opened at 7:30am (it was 6am at that point). I called the emergency number and left a message with "Sam". Sam called me back and said that they would move me to a new room with hot water when they opened the lobby. I simply had to leave for work well before opening, so I packed up my things and went back to home to Santa Barbara to get ready instead.

I have heard nothing from them since this experience, although I myself haven't tried to reach out to them.

I would not recommend staying here.

3 Thank Dennis C
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I am the new owner of this hotel, for only 4-5 weeks.
With regards to hot water, one has to be patient. The overall architecture of the city of Solvang landmark low rise buildings is such that all or most of Solvang's two story buildings have an extended layout with long structures.
When it is cold, as it was that night, in the low thirties, the water gets cold and when the faucet is opened it may take a some time until the hot water gets to your faucet. We sell more than 1,000 nights stay per year in our hotel, and this hot water issue is rarely mentioned by any of our guests.
We apologize for this guests inconvenience. Based on his comments, I have reunited my staff and they have promised me that they will give more attention to guests needs prior to the opening of our breakfast room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Solvang
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We have enjoyed our stay at the Kronberg Inn last week in Solvang. The staff was professional and pleasant and the cost was very reasonable. Their continental breakfast has a good variety of food to select from.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for your positive comments. We look forward to host you again.
Southern California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We wanted to spend the nigh near Solvang so that we could have breakfast the next day at Paula's Pancakes (don't miss it!) and the Kronborg had decent reviews. The bed was super comfortable, but when we got up the next day we couldn't get the shower to turn on--water came out of the faucet, but when we pulled on the knob that normally shuts off the faucet and funnels it to the shower head didn't make water come out of the shower. We tried to call the front desk, but there was no dial tone on the phone. There was no soap, so a bath would not have been helpful. We asked for and got a pretty decent discount. I would return, but ask about the shower and avoid room 113 for now.

Room Tip: Avoid room 113 unless you find that they have fixed the shower.
1 Thank kayaker1959
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I am the new owner for the last 5 weeks only. Never the less, I take these comments very seriously. We now have an almost permanent handy-man on site to resolve any immediate problem that may occur. I will personally welcome this guest and I will make sure to make their stay as pleasant as it could be.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The only good thing about this place was the bed. The coffee pot was not cleaned from the previous guest, and the phone in the room did not work. And, we didn't find out the shower didn't work until the next day at 6:00 am. I tried working with the desk clerk a little after 6am about getting a partial refund...he was wasn't interersted in my issues and said that he couldn't help us. He did not demonstrate any "customer service" behaviors, NO sense of urgency to correct the issue and appeared totally un-interested in our problems.

A previous review indicated that this was a remodel of an older motel. Yup, got that right.

When we noticed the cruddy coffee pot when we checked in, the evening desk clerk did provide us with a new pot. Horray for him. I'm not mentioning names, but he worked the later afternoon/early evening shift. Maybe he should train the guy that comes in early in the day.

1 Thank R F
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I was not the owner of this hotel at that time. I am the new owner for only the last 5 weeks. Never the less, I took these comments very seriously, met with all of my housekeeping staff and strongly warned them that I will not tolerate any faults of this kind. I did the same with the front desk clerks.
Should any of my desk clerks every act as described in this review, they would be immediately fired. They are all currently in training. I am undertaking some serious improvements to make this hotel an attractive boutique hotel.
WA
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The Kronborg is a renovated "motel" that does a nice job. Most of the Solvang hotels have spruced up to join the boutique category and attract folks who want more than a place to flop.
The building still shows signs of its age on the exterior but the rooms are good sized and have nice decorating, fresh paint and fixtures. If you have bikes or golf clubs the room is big enough to bring them in. It has a nice sized fridge and microwave. Soap, shampoo and lotions are nice. Breakfast was just fare. No form of protein of any kind is served. Coffee is good.

The beds and bedding are very comfortable. We loved them. If you can't handle a soft bed you might not like it, but we loved it. As soft at it was we did not feel unsupported. My wife called the bed "amazeballs", and wanted to stay in bed the rest of the trip.

Downside. Bathroom is VERY small. No room to move. You must close the door before you "sit down" or your legs block the door. I never tested the jetted tub but it did have one.

The pool looks good. Not much deck or seating. The State of California has created laws that forced most older hotels to change pools and hot tubs. The hot tub is currently CLOSED do to the change in regulations. I was told they are working on making the needed changes.

Overall a good stay for us.

Room Tip: room 211 was upper room on the backside away from traffic noise. I woululd guess the front side wou...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for your nice comments. I am the new owner of this hotel for the past 5 weeks, and I am undertaking some serious improvements which will hopefully make it more comfortable and more to your satisfaction.
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Located conveniently near the center of Solvang this place is a good option if you are on a budget. We got a good offer and liked what we got! Rooms are fairly large, and beds are extremely comfortable. Rooms offer tv, fridge, microwave, coffee maker and free wifi. Signal strength on wifi was at times very bad though. Complimentary breakfast carb- and sugar loaded.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
lompoc
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Ridiculous/Unacceptable - book elsewhere! They literally left me out in the cold!!!! Hotel is decent for price - comfie beds but this place must be owned or ran by idiots. We are talking 200 plus room hotel sitting in large tourist attraction town and you have nobody onsite all night from 11:30 to 7 a.m.???? Are they stupid? I went out with friends, some casino got back about 12:30/1:00 am - try to enter room my key doesn't work - go to office note on door nobody onsite until 7 am if an emergency call this number. Tried to call number - no answer 3 times. Talking last hotel on way out of town, by freeway, dark, freezing cold, everything else in town closed and they got some female sitting outside without working key! Reached owner on 4th attempt - he guides me through entering a lockbox outside office which thankfully had a master key - got a quick I'm sorry and click. Really? I just stood outside your hotel for almost an hour, freezing, stressed and wondering if I am sleeping where and I get that. Not to say I am begging for anything but a little bit more of an apology, I really am sorry, what can I do for you - I mean that would be good business or at least a phone call to room to make sure everything turned out alright and was I ok? Nothing!!! They did have 1 employee (and he was only one with some intelligence and personality because most of the others barely said hello) who was nice and went out of his way to make me feel better the next morning but if it were me stay elsewhere. Jeez even little mom & pop hotels, Motel 6 and low budget hotels have someone onsite to take care of guests if need be!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business