“Great Find In Solvang….”
Review of Kronborg Inn

Kronborg Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
San Diego, California
“Great Find In Solvang….”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Found the Kronberg Inn by happenstance… located a few blocks away from the hustle of Solvang on the main highway. The lobby is nicer than the room, but the room was adequate. A little cozy for 3 adults, especially the small bathroom, but we only stayed one night. Breakfast is offered in a dining area off the lobby -- we opted for Paula's Pancakes one block away. Best breakfast in Solvang! Even though the hotel was at the far end of the town, the road noise was a little loud, especially in the early morning. Best feature is the location at the edge of town.

Room Tip: Room in the back with the door facing the condos, away from the ice machine.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wanderllust
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments.
I am the new owner for the last 3 month and permanently going through major improvements and upgrading.
We hope to see you again
Regards
Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Stockton, California
Reviewed 19 March 2014

First time visiting Solvang. The hotel lobby was clean and the staff friendly. Our room was spacious and the hidden refrigerator was very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet at night. The bathroom was a little tight and the bath towels were old, small and scratchy. The 'included' breakfast options were very limited. Waffles were the main dish. Hard boiled eggs and the usual cold cereal and yogurt. The breakfast room is very small and with more than 6 people it became claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back of the hotel which backs up to apartments. When we left to go to town ther...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teri S
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
I am the new owner of this hotel for the last 3 month.
Thank you for your kind comments on our hotel.
I take this opportunity to inform you that I just bought hundreds of best quality of all kind of linen ( sheets. towels etc...)
We are extending the breakfast room in a romantic garden area.
We hope to see you again soon
Best regards
The Owner
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here on Valentine's day this year. We booked the room under Hotwire's hotrate deal and it was truly a blessing. The gentleman at the front desk was very courteous and helpful. The location wasn't perfect but it really wasn't bad at all. The Kronborg is located right on the edge of town, however becasue Solvang is so small everything is within walking distance. I would gladly stay here agian. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was nice and clean. For a two and half star property this place was pretty awesome.

Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I am the new owner for the last 3 months and I am constantly improving and upgrading the hotel and the service.
We hope to see you soon again!
Best Regards,
The Owner
Granada Hills
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We booked this hotel for the annual Solvang Century. Their ad said complimentary breakfast. Many hotels in town start breakfast early on the day of the ride but this one did not. We did eat breakfast the next morning and the room was rather warm. They had the normal cereal, waffles, hard boiled eggs, bananas etc. nothing too exciting. The worst part was the owner talking to other guests about their complaints and then calling over a worker to discuss it right then and there while we were trying to have a nice breakfast. Seems he could have discussed that another time with her. When we first walked into the room and didn't know who he was he was letting the worker know she was never to leave the room when people were in it. Just felt very awkward having him talk to his employee about her duties and what she should and shouldn't do right there in front of the guests.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
I am the owner and I do make sure that my staff takes best care of our guests.
I did that some other time and the guest came to me to complement me about how I was making sure that the staff be attentive the the guest comfort and care.
That day breakfast started at 7 am.
What would be an " Exciting Complimentary Breakfast"?
I would be happy to offer one.
Hope to see you again as I assure you you will be taking good care.
Regards
Management
Corona, California
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was the third year in a row that we made a two night stay at the Kronborg Inn. We find the Inn's location convenient to visit local Santa Ynez wineries. We know by now to request a room in the back to avoid the traffic noise associated with rooms that face the highway. Check in was an easy process and the desk clerk was polite and helpful.
One of the reasons that we continue to stay at this inn is that the beds are very comfortable. This stay proved to be no exception. The price we paid for the room was competitive and the room was clean.
It appears that the inn may be under new management, as we noticed several cost cutting measures. While these shortcuts did not ruin our stay, they were noticeable and a departure from what we have come to expect form this inn.
The standard size towels have been replaced with towels the size of hand towels. When you stay at a hotel you don't want to be bothered by undersized towels. The temperature adjustment knob was removed from the in-room refrigerator and the unit was set at the lowest level. This was an obvious attempt to keep the frig temp low and save on energy costs. As a result it was not possible to cool drinks. There is no premium channel available (HBO, Showtime, etc..), nor are there pay per view movies available to purchase. Solvang isn't exactly known for its night life and these services would have been useful.

1 Thank EdW208
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I'm the new owner of the Kronborg Inn. I acquired the hotel only four weeks ago. I am currently making substantial improvements. In regards to the noise associated with the rooms that face the highway, please note that all the entrance doors for those rooms are padded and sound proof. Further more, Route 246, also known as Mission Drive, is totally quite, with almost no traffic, from approximately 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. Never the less, I have instructed my staff to offer in priority all of the rooms located on the back of the property. I intend, in the near future, to make this hotel a boutique hotel. I have been spending all of the money necessary to do so. I am surprised about the comments regarding towels. We have three sizes of towels in each room. If the guest had called the desk to mention this, our staff would have reacted immediately and would have done the same with regards to the refrigerator. All rooms have HBO, ESPN, CNN, etc. I take very seriously our estimated guests reviews and I will do all that is necessary to cure any of their dissatisfaction.
pasadena
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed two nights over president's day weekend. Had a street side room, which as all the reviews indicate, resulted in constant road noise. Worse that this, though, was the sound of the guests above us. Not that they were partying of intentionally making noise, but you could hear every single step they took, as well as every flush of the toilet.

After attempting to eat the free breakfast, I realized why it was free. At least the oj was fine.

The beds were very comfortable, however, the comforter had food (I hope) stains on it. The towels were also thin and one clearly had blood on the corner of it. Uggghhh....

Other than the bed, the shower was nice, with good water pressure and no temperature issues.

Considering the price, will certainly not return. Ever.

Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Our street side rooms all have padded sound proof doors. Further more, Route 246, also known as Mission Drive, has little or no traffic at all from approximately 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
Our complimentary breakfast includes several kinds of cereals, several kinds of pastries from the famous Danish Edna's Bakery, waffles, several types of fruits, yogurts, breads, toast, coffee, milk, tea, and orange and apple juice. It is served every morning from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. I am saddened that guests have complained about our free breakfast.
With regards to the cleanness of the rooms and the linens, I just set up an frequent inspection system to ensure that rooms are offered in perfect condition.
In this review our shower system, water pressure, and temperature are praised, while in the next review there are complaints about hot water. Once again, as a new owner, for only four weeks, I will make sure that any dissatisfaction from any guest is taken seriously and will immediately be cured.
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Well you win some and you loose some. Thank goodness we only booked one day. The room appeared nice, King bed ok but the lighting was terrible, really, had to remove the lamp shades to be able to read. The room faced the highway and acted like a noise funnel, extremely noisy. never never drink the coffee here and by all means skip the breakfast- just awful.

Room Tip: Do not accept a front facing room and bring a flashlight.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbara C
Victor A, Owner at Kronborg Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Each room is equipped with two table lamps on each side of the bed with a central chandelier in the middle of the ceiling, and a floor lamp in the corner of the room. We wanted our rooms to be cozy and romantic. For reading, by turning on all or some of the lights mentioned above, it becomes very comfortable.
It hurts to hear that our complimentary breakfast was not to the satisfaction of this guest. I think our breakfast to be very complete and generous. It has been praised frequently by most of our guests.