This was our 6th stay at Alisal and it was the best yet.
Anyone considering a stay there should first look at their website. As wonderful as it appears on that site, the description and photos don't do it justice. You have to experience it to understand what an exceptional place it is.
My wife is former horse owner and loves to ride. (I tell people that when we got married she traded in a whole horse for the back half of one.) This trip she went on two trail rides; my anatomy could only take one since they last two hours. All three days we took the van up to their private lake and fished. The lake, about 100 acres. is all "catch and release" and is full of bass and blue gill. If you can't catch fish there, you never will. We rented a boat and had the entire lake to ourselves each day. Even if you don't fish, just cruising the lake and watching the deer, the hawks, a bald eagle, the herons, and enjoying the absolute peacefulness is something every guest should try.
The website gives a detailed description of all the amenities but I do have a caution about the food. Breakfast and dinner are included in the room rate. And as the menus posted on the website show, this is a not typical hotel fare - it's off the chart good. I think three days is the maximum I could stay there because after that my clothes don't fit. (Maybe it's something in the fresh air.)
Everything about Alisal is designed to promote a relaxed, but never boring, stay. From the spacious rooms, WITHOUT TV"s or phones but with Wi-Fi, and a fireplace with plenty of firewood, an assigned table in the dining room for the length of your stay, two golf courses, stables, a spa, tennis courts, a private lake and a staff who are attentive and helpful but never in the way, Alisal is a destination vacation. After you arrive, you won't need your car again until you check out.
Admittedly, it not inexpensive, but if you factor in the included two meals per day and the facilities and activities that are available, it makes the rates much more reasonable.
Alisal is simply a treasure that we try to visit each year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort is located in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley and renowned Santa Barbara County wine country. Privately owned and operated since 1946, the Alisal is a working cattle ranch and full-service resort. This historic ranch is one of four original Spanish land grants on the west coast given to conquistador Raimundo Carrillo in the late 1700’s. Today, the romance and majesty of the old west remain in the wide-open spaces and unspoiled natural beauty of the Alisal. They serve as a reminder of simpler times and as an invitation to those with a taste for adventure. As California's premier guest ranch, the Alisal transports guests back to a bygone era. Set on a 10,000-acre working cattle ranch, this one-of-a-kind resort blends the best of nature with exceptional golf, horseback riding, tennis, fishing on a 100-acre private lake, fitness center and spa, children's activities, barnyard activities and fine dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Alisal Guest Ranch & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alisal Guest Ranch Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Guest Ranch And Resort
- Alisal Hotel Solvang
- Alisal Resort Solvang
- Alisal Ranch Solvang
- The Alisal Guest Ranch