“Down home feel; comfortable stay; great value”
Review of Hadsten House

Hadsten House
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while touring some of the wineries in the area. I found the hotel through other Trip Advisor reviews, and then I found what I thought was a terrific bargain. We wanted to tour some of the wineries and not have to drive ourselves, so I was looking at options. I saw that the Hadsen House had a deal that included 2 nights stay PLUS a winery tour and a very nice price, considering what we were getting.

The room itself was a fairly ordinary hotel/motel room. Clean, nothing amiss, parking space in the motor court in front of the room, all pretty standard. The hotel offers free breakfast, and I've been at plenty of Holiday Inns that offer a free breakfast, so I expected a Continental breakfast. What we got was a full breakfast with eggs, bacon, potatoes, oatmeal, cereals juices & coffee. The restaurant room itself was dark, but very nice. I was told that the restaurant has a terrific dinner menu, but we did not try it on this stay.

The pool is small but nice. We were going to book the spa package, but when I called to inquire about reservations, they said they were going thru a management change and that the spa was going to be closed. Not sure if this is indeed the case.

The only negative I can think of is not an actual negative about the hotel, it's a negative on the town. There's absolutely NOTHING to do in Solvang after 5 or 6 pm. Nothing is open, and even restaurants are closed early.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first level, so you don't have to schlep bags up a flight of stairs.
1  Thank hzryb

Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed at the Hadsten House for a few days recently. We chose it mostly because of the reviews which other travelers had written. They have done a lovely job of remodeling the property and we really commend them for that. Just a few minor things, the teeny bars of soap, the towels were thin and not white, white, the walls were thin so you could hear people in the next room. It would have been helpful to have someone assist with our bags. We are older and our room was on the 2nd floor - but they don't employ anyone who assists with that. The front desk staff seemed only partially interested in helping us or even welcoming us. First impressions are important and they were the first people we came into contact with. We heard that new management had taken over a month or so ago. Hopefully they will attend to some of the small details which would improve the Hadsten House so they could live up to the lovely things people have written about them.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms which are away from the flow of traffic.
1  Thank ninonote
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Over the past 38 years, my husband and I have gone to the site where Hadsten House is at. It was formerly a Vagabond Inn in Solvang and this the place that we had our honeymoon 38 years ago. The rooms have plasma TV, and if you are techy like my husband--you can bring your google tv and it plugs in great....

Hadsten House is a wonderful place if you are looking for rest. The rooms have the feel of being in a European hotel. The onsite restaurant offers a complimentary breakfast that isn't just croissants and coffee. It has eggs, oatmeal, ect....and it's great!

My favorite spot that seems to seldom be used is the jacuzzi pool in the back of the pool area. That area is secluded, with 2 outdoor fireplaces and very comfortable lounge seating. Talk about resting...this is the place you will find it!

We recently returned during the peak of the season, and still found it as lovely and enjoyable as when we come during early fall.

Room Tip: Take the time and use their jacuzzi pool in the pool section. You will find it a wonderful place of...
2  Thank CADreamTravelers
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I always look at trip Advisor reviews prior to choosing hotels, so I did so before choosing this one. On the positive side, I have never seen a better remodel of a Vagabond Hotel done so nicely! The rooms are very well done! That being said, you can't make a 3 star hotel a 4 star hotel a "spa" hotel no matter how wonderful your camera angles are on the pictures you put on the web site, or how nice you make your lobby.
When I pay the "pricer" rates, I need Bellman to offer me the service of taking my luggage up the stairs, not offered at this hotel. I also enjoy the option of Valet Parking-again, not offered. In fact, you may not find a place to park in the parking lot if your'e not careful and come in late, there isn't a parking ticket or monitoring of who actually parks in the lot and it is within walking distance to town where parking is valuable!
A few of nice amenities are the indoor pool and the free breakfast. I had problems with the breakfast, as it was very disorganized and they ran out of food early, not good with 2 kids in tow.
Also free Wi-Fi was sporadic and did not work in my room and I was forced to use my laptop only at the pool area. i also had trouble getting my room cleaned and a water pipe broke and left us with out cold water in the room for nearly a day! The manager, did make things right and gave me a 50% off the room rate for that night which was the right thing to do!
Wouldn't completely give up on this hotel, but there are others in Solvang that I would look into!

Room Tip: check with management to see if certian rooms have better Wi-Fi mine had no reliable service at all!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Coreen A
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Thank you for the feedback Coreen and I am very sorry that we still left you disappointed at the end of your stay.
While it is true that we do not have a bellman on staff employees have been instructed to find someone if ever there is a request for assistance. I have carried bags several times over the last few years when it was needed. Sadly a valet is beyond us. Given our size I would never be able to recoup the cost of offering that particular service. Our weekend rates are higher, especially this time of year, but even now the other five days a week rates are much greater value.
We have just gone through an ownership change. That is going to bring us some great things. As you mentioned we do have some weak areas in our wireless network and they are already working on a complete revamp of our wireless system which will virtually eliminate that issue. I also found a failed power supply last week that was leaving a couple access points inactive, that has been fixed. Along with the good we also have some growing pains. We have increased the breakfast staff, but many of them are still learning and there have been hiccups like you experienced, for which I do again apologize.
I appreciate you saying you would not give up on us and do hope we see you back in the future. Thank you again for sharing your comments. It does also help us know where we still need work. Michael Hawk Co-General Manager.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

The location is awesome! One walking block distance to all the shops, restaurants, cafe's,bakeries and other hotels. I don't care for "outside hotel rooms" meaning your not inside, a building but access your room from outside hall where everyone can see you, like a Motel. But this was the exception. The rooms were clean and comfortable with upgraded furniture. Thebhotel has a sit down restaurant which we passed and ordered room service. A bit pricey $$$ but worth it! The food was delisous! Nice staff too. The hotel/spa has a nice selection of spa amenities which we did not try :( and an indoor pool. You will get noise from people passing by your window bleh, and if a car alarm goes off, well... Not pleasant. That "Motel" thing again..need I say more. And you will pay around $160 for a double. Not bad for the spring season mid week.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the back of the entrance( IF your not single or women with children traveling...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the Hadsten House. Clean and comfortable room, decent beakfast in the morning, and we were with friends so wjhen we returned from dinner we hit the jacuzzi which is in a private area with fireplace and seating. We would go back again.

Room Tip: We prefer upstairs on 2nd floor.
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We went up to the Santa Ynez valley to cycle and celebrate my husband's birthday. The Hadsten House had a great mid-week special, so we upgraded ourselves to the suite. It's actually two former rooms re-designed into a suite, with two baths. It was quite comfortable except the lighting is set to be dramatic so it's fairly dim at night (or in the morning before opening shutters) when fishing around in a suitcase. I am not a fan of "charming" inns, often finding them too fussy or precious, so it's nice to know there's a (relatively) reasonable and comfortable semi-luxurious alternative to the inns in the valley--and one that is more reasonably priced, too.
We thought the breakfast was lovely, the staff was generally pleasant and helpful(finding a safe place for us to lock up our cycles) and we would stay there again.