“Perfect place at the end of town!”
Review of Hadsten House

Hadsten House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
California Cilty
“Perfect place at the end of town!”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Love this place! Most of the places to stay in Solvang are old ( u can tell upgrades are taking place on several of the hotels), but this place has already gotten a great face lift. It is a modern sheik place with dark wood floors fire place and great decoration scheme, the beds are so comfortable and they are very accommodating (I need featherless room and they make sure I have one every time) the front office people are always friendly and always have great reconditions on where to eat or what to go see. Best place to eat though is at their restaurant it is amazing place for a 5 star dinner great romantic atmosphere and they also offer a simple but very good breakfast! Must stay at least once and you will never want to stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: I like being on the first floor! no steps for me but any room is a good room!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
los angeles
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Hadsten and were pleasantly surprised at what a nice place it was. Although the outside is nothing fancy, every door opened was a treat, from the lovely bar/restaurant, the large pool and hot tub patio to the recently redecorated room. It was really redone nicely, especially the dark wood floor bathrooms with granite vanity. Amenities like a very comfortable bed, soft leather reading chair, big flat screen TV/DVD (with HBO!), mini-fridge, fireplace and coffeemaker were all wonderful. We bought the dinner package, and although the lighting could have been improved (my only quibble!), our 3 course dinner and reasonable bottle of wine was amazing. The courses were so artistic we had to take pictures of all of them...loved the scallops, my husband couldn't even finish the huge plate of short ribs, and my salmon was awesome. The Bananas Foster was decadent, and I highly recommend it. Breakfast was equally impressive, and the servers went out of their way to make sure our coffee cups were full. All this was worth 4 stars, but the fifth was earned the next day, when I realized I had somehow left my new iPhone box of accessories in the room. All the front desk employees were so nice and helpful. Not only did they find it and call me back right away, they returned it to me by Fed Ex on the same day! That meant so much to me, and I think service like that is rare and needs to be acknowledged. It's worth a star or two to me! We can't wait to have another opportunity to stay at the Hadsten House!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main street are quieter. Choose first floor if you don't want to climb step...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This hotel was a two-story place right next to a busy highway. It was extremely difficult to sleep and I was in the lobby when several people were asking to move to other rooms due to the noise. No rolls or even toast for breakfast, even though the hotel was located in the quaint, Danish village of Slovang with lots of Danish shops with home-made breads, rolls, etc. Dinner at the hotel was great but the service was just average. The front desk staff were extremely helpful, friendly and welcoming. The rooms were well-decorated and attractive.
The rooms were very clean.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the rooms close to the highway----G
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Beck48
hotelgmSolvang, General Manager at Hadsten House, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
I just want to say I am very sorry that noise concerns impacted your stay here at the Hadsten House. Like the majority of inns in Solvang we are located on Mission Drive which can, at times, get quite busy. We do encourage guests who are more sensitive to traffic noise to call ahead, and whenever possible we will accommodate them in the back part of the building.

I also would like to clear up a comment about the breakfast. The statement "No rolls or even toast for breakfast, even though the hotel was located in the quaint, Danish village of Slovang(sic) with lots of Danish shops with home-made breads, rolls, etc" sounds as if we do not include a breakfast. I just want it to be clear that we do include a full hot American breakfast for our guests. This fresh cooked breakfast includes bacon, eggs, home fried potatoes, French toast, oatmeal, cereal, fresh fruit and coffee or juice. So, while it is true that we leave pastries to Solvang’s many fine bakeries, we certainly do not cut any corners on our breakfast offerings.

Thank you again for staying with us and we do hope you will come back in the future and perhaps we can arrange a quieter stay then.
London
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay at the Hadsten House. While it looks at first glance like a typical two-storey motel, it greatly exceeeds those expectations. The exterior is decorated and landscaped very nicely to produce a charming ambience.
Our room was refurbished with a very modern look and lots of "classy" touches, such as the granite counter in the bathroom. The bedding was extremely comfortable.
Our only complaint was that the a/c unit was in the bathroom area and thus had a hard time cooling the rest of the room unless you made the bathroom very cold indeed.
Like the room itself, the included breakfast exceeded expectations - a full and varied breakfast with attentive service, way beyond the typical "help yourself" continental.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This is the best hotel hands down in Solvang! This is my second time staying here and each time I have been very happy. I am a very picky traveler as I work in the travel industry and hold my fellow hoteliers to HIGHER THAN AVERAGE standard. This hotel hands down met my requirements especially for being in a small town. Make sure and request a 2nd level room. The rooms are very spacious with a fireplace and nice bathroom. I recommend a visit to the Mystic Merchant as well just a short stroll from the hotel.

Now that the Chumash Casino owns this hotel I hope They KEEP IT UP just like the previous owners did. Please keep the price point where it is now to be able to keep up with any necessary upgrades.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 14 September 2012

This was our second stay at this motel and equally as good, Front desk pleasant and helpful.
Room comfortable with a nice touch with a fireplace They should have a higher wattage bulbs in the bedside lamps, it was impossible to read in bed with the poor light.
The breakfast was included and it was very good with good service.
The dinner was superb and again good service.
Location excellent for walking the main street of Solvang. .

Room Tip: Ask for first floor room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 11 September 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Hadsten House, as we wanted to visit the wine country. It has a great location, convenient for walking into Solvang, and pretty central to the Santa Ynez wineries and vineyards. It is an old motel which has been decorated in a contemporary fashion. Unfortunately my first impressions were a rather large stain on the carpet in our room, but otherwise everything was good. Clean bathroom and powerful shower. In room hair dryer and fridge, but no safe. Excellent hot breakfast, included in the room rate, plus nice pool and jacuzzi. Pretty good all round and good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the 2nd floor to avoid noisy neighbours upstairs!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Hadsten House? Share your experiences!