“A note on service: just plain rude!”
Review of Hadsten House

Hadsten House
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Solvang
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I am choosing to comment solely on service in this review. See other reviews for comments on decor, amenities, etc.

Perhaps the front desk staff is cold to everyone and I would be over-reaching by describing the interaction we had as outright homophobic, but I wasn't impressed by the chilly reception we got as newlyweds on on the first night of our honeymoon at the Hadsten House.

My wife and I arrived on a Thursday afternoon. Although the hotel was less than half full, the staff member at reception assigned us a room close to the highway with a view of a dumpster out the back window. I was surprised, given the amount of time I spent with a gentleman on the phone several days before, going over the options of what quiet rooms were available, how we were coming for our honeymoon, etc. We returned to reception and I informed the woman there that we were just starting our honeymoon, and that we didn't want to be so close to the highway and have a view of a dumpster.

"You want a different room?", she asked, as if I was making a mountain out of a molehill and she could easily accommodate me. No eye-contact. No smile. No "congratulations!". None of the usual responses that one expects to get when one announces that one is newly married. This person's behavior was not impressive to me, especially given that she is supposed to be in the "hospitality" business.

Perhaps she didn't understand what I meant by "honeymoon". (Yes, I actually meant honeymoon!!) Or maybe all of the "Yes on 8" signs in the nearby countryside had seeped into her brain and convinced her that it was alright to treat a newly-married, openly lesbian couple as less than worthy of respect. Or maybe she was just having "a bad day". Whatever the case, homophobic or not, the service was cold, cold, cold. Not a great way to kick off your honeymoon.

I have seen this type of behavior before. When dining in a so-called "upscale" restaurant (which was really just snooty) with a friend who happens to be biracial...the waitstaff reacted to any request she made as if she was making a huge fuss, when she really wasn't. They also spoke to her the way one might speak to an enraged farm animal or a young child having a tantrum.

Gay and lesbian wine lovers beware! This probably isn't the place to choose for your honeymoon in Santa Ynez wine country! I hope the Hadsten House removes their ad from purpleroofs, because if your staff aren't gay-friendly, you shouldn't be advertising your hotel (or, in this case, glorified motel) as such.

Any decent accommodation should train staff to treat ALL guests with respect. I would certainly expect this from a place that touts itself on being a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank Wide_World_Explorer
hotelgmSolvang, General Manager at Hadsten House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2008

I was very concerned to read this review. I also sent a private response last week which as of today has not been acknowledged. The thrust of this negative review is that the guest felt that we were not Gay or Lesbian friendly. I apologize if she was given that impression for any reason. The fact is that the Hadsten House treats all of our guests the same regardless of race, age or sexual orientation. We have had many Gay and Lesbian guests that were very happy and have never had a review such as this. As a matter of fact the same front desk person mentioned just got a glowing letter from a Gay couple thanking her for making their trip outstanding and for making them feel so welcome. On another note the front desk person actually sent a bottle of champagne to help the guests celebrate their Honeymoon (which we do for all newlyweds or special occasions) however we were unable to deliver the bottle since there was a do not disturb sign on the door until after 9pm. As for the guests comments on Prop 8 and a bad experience at someone else’s restaurant on some other trip, I do not feel that it is fair to include those comments in our review as the hotel in no way supported prop 8, nor was there any such signage on our property and the comments on the other restaurant are irrelevant to their stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Hadsten House

Reviewed 31 October 2008

We had a great experience at our recent stay at the Hadsten House, in Solvang. From the time of booking the room, to check-in /check out, we had a completely positive experience. The Inn is new & the guest room was decorated quite nicely. The restaurant was lovely & I we had the best dinner of our entire vacation which also included Monterey & Carmel. The Staff was friendly & helpful.

The facility & experience exceeded our expectations & we will not hesitate to recommend it to others. We give the Hadsten House a 10 rating for one of the best. Thank you.

2  Thank Dravath
Reviewed 27 October 2008

My husband and I stayed here Oct. 24-26th for a wine country weekend, and we were very pleased with Hadsten House. From the moment we stepped into the room, we thought we were in a luxery hotel in Europe! It had a beautiful armoire for a closet that also had robes, a small fridge, Ironing board and iron. A lovely desk with a charming old world phone, a fleur-de-lis chair, flat screen tv, dvd player, romantic fireplace, and a beautiful bathroom with pampering amenities. The bed and linens were comfy and we enjoyed the whole atmosphere. The wine and cheese reception in the evening was great, as well as the wonderful breakfast in the morning. I would also recommend eating at the Los Olivos Cafe in Los Olivos and Brother's Restaurant at Mattei's Tavern in Los Olivos. Mattei's Tavern was built in the 1800's and use to be an old stage coach stop. The trout was to die for! It was a wonderful weekend and I highly recommend Hadsten House to all.

2  Thank Debra M
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We stayed at the Hadsten House Inn in October of 2008. What a find! The property is recently completely renovated, and is wonderful. The rooms were clean, modern (fireplace, large LCD TV, wonderful bathroom and great comfortable bed). The restaurant had a complimentary wine and cheese offering each day. We booked the dinner package with our room, and had a wonderful meal in their restaurant. The next morning we discovered the hotel also offered free, delicious, hot breakfast. This place was a bargain with the room alone. Throw in happy hour, free breakfast and an affordable dinner package-- we will be back for sure. Hotel also had a large hot-tub and pool, but we did not try them out.

1  Thank Seth K
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Check in was smooth and easy and were in our room within a couple of minutes. The room was quite modern and had a great TV, comfortable beds and plenty of space throughout. The room was clean and tidy. There was no issue with noise from adjoining rooms or from the road at all.

Be aware that everything closes early in Solvang, so if you’re wanting to eat after 9pm, the only thing we were told that was open and that we could find, was one Chinese restaurant which did really nice food at a reasonable price.

In conclusion, a nice hotel that had plenty of space and everything we needed, with a good free breakfast and wi-fi access from the room – if anything, we spent one too many nights here as we did everything Solvang had to offer and got quite bored.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NottsDinkyDoo
Reviewed 9 October 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a night to celebrate our 25th anniversary. From the first communication I had with Michael to check out today the whole experience was what you always hope for when booking a hotel you've never been to before. The hotel is exactly as pictured on the website (how rare is that?) We booked the one night stay with dinner for the off-season price of $178. What a deal that turned out to be with the fabulous 3 course dinner, wine and cheese in the afternoon and the hot breakfast in the morning. I even felt comfortable enough to walk around barefoot in the room! I would definitely refer this hotel to my best friend and even to my mother-in-law! If you're visiting Solvang.....THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY!!

Reviewed 9 October 2008

We stayed here during a week-long autumn drive up the coast from LA area to SF. Our stay at was perfect in every way. Newly renovated, and my compliments to whomever designed the rooms. Every possible details was considered and implemented, from the layout of the bathroom, to the coffee/tea in room, to the TV, fireplace, bottled water, etc. We arrived in time for the complimentary wine and cheese/fruit snacks at the bar, then walked around in town and did some wine tasting. Then we returned and I lounged by the pool with a book, and took a dip in the hot-tub when the sun went down and it got cool. We had a wonderful seafood dinner at the on-site restaurant, which is excellent, and then my husband and I enjoyed the hot-tub again, as well as the ambiance of the outdoor patio and gas fireplaces. The included breakfast is extremely substantial and we left wishing we hadn't have eaten so much! The staff is friendly and professional. The night we were there, a Monday, a bus tour of senior citizens was also there - and their large motorcoach idled quite loudly outside our room where it was parked for over an hour in the morning as they loaded up and departed. That was really unpleasant to listen to - management, can you ask the coach to park elsewhere in the future? Besides that, it was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Hadsten House? Share your experiences!