“Not a gem...”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Not a gem...”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Upon entering this room, you are pleased with the immediate look (seems to have had a make-over recently). Upon further inspection, we found sheets to be dirty, towels threadbare, and molding with dry-rot. The armoire is too noisy and annoying to be of any use. The sheets were dirty! When the desk staff came to review, she was appalled. She brought back replacement sheets which were also dirty. It is difficult to sleep in a bed after finding dirty linens. The AC did not cool the room sufficiently, although it was not hot.

The breakfast was great and saved us a great deal on expenses, although the wait staff left something to be desired (rude). The check in desk staff was rude and completely unhelpful. The night desk staff (girl who dealt with dirty sheets) was wonderfully helpful. The manager who dealt with dirty sheets issue was also helpful and comped us 1 night stay.

I would suggest you visit the HI across the street. Equal comfort for less money. We stayed there last time...

Room Tip: The motel (doors face parking lot) is on the main road...choose a room away from the road and traffi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank shwaters

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Although this property has outside entrances and no elevator, it was a well kept motel. Staff was very friendly, rooms were very lean and had nice furnishings. (only odd thing was the outlets were taped up). Swimming pool was indoor and great, spa was outside and had fireplaces surrounding it! Breakfast was the same both mornings, but good. Property is located within walking distance around this nice "village."

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank southernbo
santa cruz, Ca
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Hadsten house has been a family favorite for years. Weve spent many family vacations here, come with friends, come with extended family and told countless people about the hadsten house over the years, and yes even have written a couple reviews raving about the place, but sadly to our great disappointment it's no longer the great little gem we once loved and loved and looked forward to visiting.The reasons for our change of heart are many:
They use to have complimentary wine n cheese from 3-5 daily, they even had fresh fruit n soda for the kids and with the economic times I could see them needing to cut back and not offer it free anymore but they are not even open. So when you show up on time or early to check in and your rooms not ready you're not really sure what to do. You could go to town but town closes up around 5 so it's really not enough time to do much. Having the restaurant open even if they charged for beverages n snacks provided a great needed service, and hey while they prep for dinner they could make some money too! They do open for dinner at 5 and their dinners are amazing!!! The food that is, but they are way understaffed and dinner and dessert took two hours. And we are not slow eaters. When ordering, the service left lots to be desired. I had to ask the waiter 4 times for my beverage and even though there was only 3 of us, my dinner order was wrong, it tasted great so I just are it, and the guy was new and very apologetic so I was understanding but wow overall the hadsten house is in need of some goods management. Other people were complaining at dinner too and some wanted to order dessert but left because the wait was too long. They are loosing money by understaffing. Breakfast is great and complementary but again understaffed. Everyone at the hotel comes in and there are 2 people to bus tables, refill food etc, you are always waiting. The set up is all messed up too, it doesn't flow well at all. Whoever is in charge needs to walk through the line and see for themselves how bad it is. A few simple changes like toaster and cereal near the coffee and juice would make a huge difference. people get jammed up right when they enter and since you are always waiting for something due to low staffing, people get cranky us it's tough to find a table the whole family can sit at, they seem to have lots of couple seating which is great if you're a wine bar, but that's not what they are anymore. Also there is no extra silverware so you are suppose to use what's on the tables but since they are short staffed you are usually standing waiting for the table to be bussed so the silverware is not there , when I nicely asked for some the waiter had a total attitude and said it's on the table, but it clearly was not or I wouldn't be asking. I will say that on our 3rd n 4th day we were blessed to have Zack working there, we don't know zack personally but he was such a great help. He offered to get us juice, silverware, etc and was so very very nice. He really made out morning, it's the little things after all.
The management could really learn a thing of two from this young man Zack, he truly made us feelLike we were important guests at the hotel the way we use to be treated and which kept us coming back and telling our friends. As far as value, no complaints but now instead of feeling like wow that was a great value, people will be saying oh! That's why it was a good price. Not a great way to get repeat customers.
We had spa treatments, the massages were good, but one of the therapist didn't show up, it's complicated as to why but basically another problem with the hotel. Finally they got some one about 30 minutes late.
The pool and hot tub are still great, more crowded than I remember but good.
They keep the hotel and rooms well cleaned which is a priority to me but I was very disappointed one day when we came back at 4:00 and the room was still not done, clearly another area of understaffing.
The hadsten house was once the best place to stay in Solvang, I'm not saying its terrible, I still like some things about it, but I will consider other places for future visits. I am sad to see that now that they have become well known they don't seem to be caring so much about the details, they are going down hill and it's disappointing as I use to look so forward to coming.
Hopefully someone who can make changes will take this review seriously and make some changes. The potential to be that gem of a boutique hotel it once was is still here, but it will go quickly if they don't try to improve. Let's not let it become the run down cheap motel it was
before hadsten house bought it.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank MrsKEB
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have been struggling with what to write for this review because I have such mixed emotions on the place. This is a motel (doors on the outside) which I am automatically not a fan of. Check in was a little bit of a struggle. We were in town for a wedding and had a wedding promo rate, but were also staying one night before the promo rate at full cost, so that apparently caused confusion at check in. 15 minutes, multiple credit cards and a lot of confusion later, we were in our room. The rooms are ok. Clean, updated but nothing special. What bothered me was how the website promotes the fact that every room has a fireplace. Well I guess technically it is a fireplace, but I would call it more of a glowing picture on the wall. It is turned on with a light switch. It is very dim, and allows for no adjustments at all. So basically it was useless. It wouldn't even create any ambiance if it tried. Anyways, that is all I have for this hotel. It is good not great and definitely over priced for what you get. I think the room was around $250 per night. Sorry I don't have anything more.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeedlesP
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Hadsten House situated in the cute little Danish town of Solvang had low expectations for me when I signed in, but when I opened the hotel room door, it was far from horrible. The room was cosy and comfortable and the decor of the room made the stay even better. The dinner at the Hadsten was thoroughly enjoyable with great service and lovely waitresses. On the other hand the wifi wasn't great but worked and the breakfast selection was very limited. Overall I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Helpfulreviewsforyoy
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Reasonably priced, large clean hotel room with free wifi. Comfortable, but somewhat dark rooms (the only window faces the walkway, so if you want privacy you need to keep the blinds closed). Included a standard eggs and potatoes breakfast in the morning, though I suspect you could find nice pastries and better coffee at one of the local bakeries. All in all I'd be happy to stay here again on our next trip to the area.

Room Tip: Seemed that all rooms face the parking lot. Its just the design of the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Petunia189
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious. Location is convenient, yet quiet. Staff is friendly. Parking is somewhat limited but fine. Only complaint: breakfast was exactly the same 3 mornings in a row, including Saturday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Hadsten House? Share your experiences!