“pastry is the best!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Santa Fe Springs, California
“pastry is the best!!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I think this bakery makes the best pastry in town. I always get one, two or three danish every time I am in Solvang.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
“Hands-Down The Best Solvang Bakery”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Ok. We've been so Solvang many times. No visit to this village is complete for us without a trip to Mortensen's Danish Bakery. But last weekend, we almost skipped it. After making our normal walk around town, we decided on a different bakery for our fix of sweets. After spending close to $18 for several puff-pastries and two Danish waffles, we got in the car to head back to Pismo, and my partner had to try the waffle.

"Mortensen's is better" he said. So I got out of the car and walked to Mortensen's for redemption. There was a large crowd mulling around, looking through the glass at all of the mouth-watering pastries. Three friendly women were standing at the counter, waiting to provide great service. I made a bee-line for the counter and promptly ordered two Danish waffles. Within 2 minutes my prized pastries were boxed, and I was on my way back to the car, where my disappointed better half was waiting with great anticipation.

The pastries did not disappoint, as they never do. And while we didn't load up on sweets like we usually do at Mortensen's, at least we got the most important items. One thing I know for certain is there are plenty of bakeries in tiny Solvang. But don't let the others fool you. Mortensen's is by far the best of the bunch. We will not make the mistake of skipping this place again.

Thank you, Mortensen's. And please accept our sincere apology for almost passing you by on our most recent trip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The danish and cookies that we bought from Mortensen's were nothing special. We actually visited two other bakeries with fresher tasting goods.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Laranne
Phoenix, Arizona
“OMG! Awesome!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Ok, this is one of those places you crave when you leave. The pastries are incredible!!! The apple turnovers, ecclairs and cookies...OMG! I can't remember all of the names. I just remember sampling and eating at least a dozen different ones and they were all good!!! Took some to go, but did not last long! And, I did not have time to factor in price, was just walking around the town and it looked good to me. There are other bakeries I know, and I am sure they are all good! BTW, it was not a disappointment! Enjoy!

• Visited April 2014
Arizona
“What a disappointment!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

2 times now I've made the mistake of going to this bakery. It seems like a huge store from the outside but when I walked in I remember!!! Their selection is so limited compared to some of the other bakeries & their prices are silly. So again I stop to gather my thoughts, after momentary confusion, and remember where I went the last time this happened. Ah yes! I reroute to Mission Dr. & travel west just past 4th Pl. to Olsen's Danish Village Bakery!! They have a HUGE selection & their prices are about half the cost. Enjoy! and sorry about posting a poor review.