“Great drinks and truffle fries!”

El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed 21 November 2012

My boyfriend, his dad, and myself stopped by to grab some drinks before dinner, and I was set on having a Peach Jalapeno Martini (what I had the last time I was there about 1.5 yrs ago). Unfortunately, it wasn't on their menu any longer. I asked the waitress and she said they'd be happy to make it for me! It was definitely as good as I remember. We also ordered their truffle fries, which were to die for! We all commented on how it was far too much for us to eat before dinner, but we ate every last one between the three of us. Our service was great and it's a really cool place to grab a drink. I've never eaten dinner here before, but maybe next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Seems like deja vu reading the last review... My boyfriend and I booked this hotel based on the location and wanting a cool, updated place to stay. We chose a bungalow room after reading reviews that other rooms were too noisy. The hotel location is perfect... right on the square across from Girl and the Fig and next to Sunflower Caffe. It has all the right ideas for a boutique style hotel with an upbeat restaurant and a contemporary lounge area with a cool fireplace. It misses the mark everywhere else though. The registration desk is basically the hostess stand for the restaurant and it isn't very inviting. We arrived at prime dinner hour, so it was very noisy and we thought we were in the wrong spot for check-in. The guy showed us to our bungalow room which was out back behind the pool and parking lot. It was very cold out, so he took us through the restaurant, but carrying all our luggage while people were eating was quite awkward. The room has a private patio with a high fence that makes it feel like a dog pen. The front desk guy said, "this room has the biggest bathroom in the hotel!" Well the bathroom was huge, but the actual room was fairly small. We thought we were getting a king bed, but it was a queen. The bed itself was not very comfortable. The worst part was the A/C unit was very loud. We had to run the heat and the unit would shut on/off very frequently, waking us up each time. I've never had this problem before at a hotel. Main positives: it is VERY clean, has updated look (furniture and fixtures). We ate a light lunch in the cafe and the food and service were great! The room just wasn't worth the money and did not meet any of our expectations.

Room Tip: The bungalow room was very private, but small.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CassieS84
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We were in a "bungalow room" behind the pool and separated from the main hotel. We had to walk through the bar area to an outdoor hallway, past the trash, past the always busy laundry room, through a gate, through the pool area, through another gate and into our room. I knew we were in trouble when the front desk guy who left his post to take us on this journey, said...This room has the best shower on the property! Actually looked like the room had once been designed as a handicapped room- the bathroom was almost as big as the room. We had reserved a king bed and got a queen that actually squeaked and sagged when sat upon. The lock on the door was defective and unable to be closed unless you used the key and brute strength. Complained immediately and was told they were fully booked, so we made the best of it. My son was in a room that faced onto the square and found it quite noisy. The location is great! We were able to walk out to dinner and to the mission and Vallejo's home. The manager seemed to be in hiding, but the young staff tried to be helpful and ended up apologizing a lot. The pool is very small and the chaises could use some new covers. There is limited parking in the back, and then you are on your own. I really didn't think it was worth $225 plus tax per night. We were given a 10% discount upon check out.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CaliforniaHarmony
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Did I mention location? Less than a hour from SFO, this hip hotel with a surperb restaurant downstairs is everything that you want for a stay in the town of Sonoma. I thought the room was tiny, but I wasnt there for the room. Front desk staff - remarkable. Many things to do right on the square or the adjacent side streets including many places for wine tasting, so you really do NOT have to drive after checking in. A real jewel in my opinion!

Room Tip: My room #5 was just about over the entrance but no perceptible noise because, I think, everyone is w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This hotel has a great location, close to restaurants,a CVS, a Whole Foods, church, etc. My room had a very comfortable bed and was clean, but was extremely dark and it was very difficult to dress or find something. The bathroom was also very clean with good light and excellent towels. It was bright and I had to go there all the time to look for things. We were a group attending a wedding and my nephew's room was also so dark, that at a point he put on a gray pant matching a black jacket. The bathroom window needs a shade since other guests can see you from their balconies and the closets are very tiny with very little hangers. I requested extra ones and I could only get two, when I really needed four. You can hear noise and conversations from other rooms. Service in the restaurant is very good and the girl at the front desk is very nice and helpful. If they improve these little things, it would be a perfect place to stay for a few days.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We booked with friends and we both booked king beds. We both got queens. The rate is the same as a room with kings. Our room near the top of the stairs was smaller. So small that we could not open the closet door. We were there early, so they certainly could have given us options. I would stay again, but I would be selective about the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert F
Reviewed 4 October 2012

The El Dorado was a pleasant surprise! Quaint and charming - in a great location.
Service was friendly and accommodating and the restaurant - amazing! If you are looking for a small boutique style hotel where you will feel so at home you never want to leave, this is it!
The only complaint some might have is the rooms are small, as are the decks (a couple of rooms have nice large decks) but we found it clean, comfy and cozy! Checked out the "cabana" style rooms beside the pool and wouldn't recommend them as strongly - felt like a garage in a back alley - my opinion.
Overall i Would take this over a large tower type hotel any day! Would love to go back!
Other than the EDK in the hotel I would strongly recommend the Girl and the fig restaurant across the street.

• Stayed: October 2012